My New Phone Review

Dante

GG, you may want to check out Touchdown if you're using ActiveSync. A buddy of mine that wasn't happy with the built-in ActiveSync capabilities is using that and loves it

http://www.nitrodesk.com/dk_touchdownFeatures.aspx

Thx, but I doubt this will be an option for me since work won't support Exchange on my personal handset. So far, K-9 is doing the trick

I've only noticed a slowdown once in a while - when I've got multiple tasks open doing stuff. Are you leaving apps open? A task killer app helps with that if you are running apps that don't allow you to fully quit them (most apps).

Android is a different mindset. It can do pretty much anything you want, but the functionality isn't all built by Google straight into the OS. I had no problems finding and using the free DoubleTwist software to manage syncing my media to my Captivate: http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

It was literally as simple as install software on computer, plug my captivate in, hit Sync.

Personally, I much prefer this mindset, as it doesn't lock you into using one vendor's products. If I decided I wanted to use Salling Media Sync for Android instead, no problem! Easy to use that to Sync it up. Whereas software companies have problems getting media sync for iPhones to consistently work (Apple's added encryption to stop some of it, others require specific iPhone firmwares, etc).

For photos, as soon as I plugged my Captivate in, iPhoto popped up, recognized the device, and showed me all the pictures on it.

I have it hooked up via Activesync to Exchange, and contacts/calendar/email works fine. No complaints here on the enterprise email front, although I will enjoy GAL lookups in Android 2.2.

I've used the iPhone extensively for email, and I prefer the Captivate's interface for it. There's also some pretty cool free email apps like K9-Mail that support push IMAP and lots of cool features. K-9 Mail was written by some people at Google as part of their 20% and is free.

You're dead to me, Apple-guy.

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks later and the phonre has really grown on me. The biggest benefit is the customization that Android allows, even without rooting (jailbreaking) the phone. It is fast, and the screen is gorgeous. There was a bit of a break in from the iPhone experience to the Android. I do have to admit that Swype is amazing when you get the hang of it, and it's hard to go back to a traditional smartphone keyboard. Absolutely no comparison. I also like the over the air updates to apps & podcasts. At first I was wary of the experience and preferred the tethered option that the iPhone provides, but there's something to be said about picking up the phone in the AM and having everything updated without having it plugged into the PC.

There definitely is a learning curve in using the phone, but it's not steep. It does not give you the simple, everything works out of the box experience that Apple provides. But if you are technically proficient, you'll enjoy this phone more. USB tethering is great.

There are not as many apps for Android as for iPhone, but that's temporary. Most of the apps you really need are also available in Android. Plus, given Android's total sales rising above Apple's OS, developers have no choice but to fall in line.

There are some hardware issues, like faulty GPS, but it appears that it's being addressed by Samsung. Froyo 2.2 (OS upgrade is coming in September). Also cut & paste is more limited than iPhone. Still no FM radio (Grr!!) Battery life issue could be killer. Some units suffer from random shutdowns (I returned my first phone. Second seems to work fine). The phones also don't work that great on EDGE systems.

So overall, it's a decent phone that I will likely keep.