Buffalo News Website redesign-What do you think?

theesir

BuffaloNews.com redesign  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new BuffaloNews.com?

• Hate it, can't find anything
    • I love it, change is good
    • I never go to the BuffaloNews website

Buffalo News website

I personally can't stand it. There is not longer an ability to "scan" the site. The stories are buried behind multiple links if they can be found at all.

I STILL have not seen a single story about the Kovalchuk deal being nixed by the NHL, but if you go to NHL, the first story is Bucky's column complaining about the contract from Monday.

The local section is now by specific city (once you go to the navigation) instead of by region (as the paper is).

What once was an easy site to visit multiple times daily for a quick look at what's going on or what's new(s) during the day had become a frustrating site that I more likely than not will skip.

Not real familiar with the old Buff News layout, but this new one kicks the sh-- out of any major Rochester news outlet. Consider yourself fortunate to get something that doesn't look like it was done by a high-schooler back in 1999.

Buffalo News website

I personally can't stand it. There is not longer an ability to "scan" the site. The stories are buried behind multiple links if they can be found at all.

I STILL have not seen a single story about the Kovalchuk deal being nixed by the NHL, but if you go to NHL, the first story is Bucky's column complaining about the contract from Monday.

The local section is now by specific city (once you go to the navigation) instead of by region (as the paper is).

What once was an easy site to visit multiple times daily for a quick look at what's going on or what's new(s) during the day had become a frustrating site that I more likely than not will skip.

They changed it last week sometime, I don't care for the new layout either. I thought the old layout was fine, didn't have any issues, but what do I know...

My option would be I hate change, but usually get used to it, and it usually turns out better........My favorite option is still having the Buffalo News in my hand. On the website, I don't know what is today's news, yesterday's news, etc. I like having the paper to reset myself.

First headline I look at:

Education

Districts accused of seeking improper info

22.366666666666667 mins ago

Nice testing. No one thought to tell the programmers to round the story update times to the nearest minute? :w00t:

I only ever go to the sports section online, but ever since the change, I have yet to click on a single story. I'm sure that has a bit to do with it being a dead period in Buffalo sports, but the whole thing looks pretty awful to me. Maybe the start of camp will change things, but I doubt it.

First headline I look at:

Nice testing. No one thought to tell the programmers to round the story update times to the nearest minute? :w00t:

Based on a quick first look I can almost guarantee this website didn't get a real usability study.

Thumbs down. Big time. I wanted to write "Buffalo News half @$es their way again" but this doesn't even amount to a half-@$ job. It's a terrible update. Much worse than the old site.

I think they changed the site on Wed. I used to check out the home page, City & Region, Sports, and Business sections. Now I don't go past the home page so that should make me spend 75% less time on the site - if that was their goal.

Based on a quick first look I can almost guarantee this website didn't get a real usability study.

Didn't get any real QC, it looks like. Just clicked the comments link for an article with no comments. It told me "Showing Records 1-0 of 0". :w00t:

Hell, it doesn't even look like they did any real requirements analysis. I can't wait to get home and do an accessibility analysis on that site - that should be a hoot.

I only ever go to the sports section online, but ever since the change, I have yet to click on a single story. I'm sure that has a bit to do with it being a dead period in Buffalo sports, but the whole thing looks pretty awful to me. Maybe the start of camp will change things, but I doubt it.

I was trying to figure out if there were no stories or I couldn't find them...

Sucks big time - not that their parametric searches ever turned up decent results (even if you typed a headline verbatim from the current issue), but it seems to be even worse now. Plus, the 'new look' is hideous.

I just happened to be looking a story from the other day to send to somebody and the search is not finding it....

I work in Web and print. Nobody ever likes redesigns. Yet, when the next redesign comes, everybody's begging to have the old one back. It takes getting used to. The thing hasn't been up a week.

Agreed. Change is usually met with resistance. But as a guy who used to test websites (among other things) this site has likely never gone through a basic usability study. Trust me.