Not beating a dead horse: The Schoebel Question

I don't want to debate the merits of whether he does or doesn't should or shouldn't comeback, or whether he is jerking the team around or has simply had enough.

My question is, assuming he does comeback how does he help the team at this stage?

If he is projected as an OLB he comes in at the end of July, 5 weeks away from the first game, with no experience at the position and no time with his teammates.

Kind of a double whammy that is hard to overcome.

Honestly, I would appreciate it if someone can give legitimate reasons on how this wouldn't be a problem.

However, if he could get in and make a difference, i gotta tell ya, when I think about our LBs, Poz, Mitchell, Davis, Maybin and Schoebel, I kind of feel pretty good.

When you throw in our #2 ranked DBs of McKelvin, McGee, Byrd, Wilson, Florence, Corner, Youboty and our DL of Williams, Troup, Edwards, Stroud and Carrington, I just plain don't feel too bad about this defense.

Sure it will take its lumps, but I like the base that we are building.

Schoebel? Never heard of him

To be honest - I don't want him back ONLY due to the fact he probably won't be too good in a 3-4 (pass coverage will be a mess)

OK, Glass, and forgive me for hijacking my own thread, b/c I didn't realize until I started writing the names down, but even without him...I think I like this Defense.

Am I nuts?

I don't want to debate the merits of whether he does or doesn't should or shouldn't comeback, or whether he is jerking the team around or has simply had enough.

My question is, assuming he does comeback how does he help the team at this stage?

If he is projected as an OLB he comes in at the end of July, 5 weeks away from the first game, with no experience at the position and no time with his teammates.

Well, he started in all the games last season. His adaptability to a 3-4 is a fair question. We can argue about how effective he will be, but still, he's not a bum, and tossing out a decent, if not spectacular DE gives pause.

I think it's a matter of money that BUF is dealing with. If they think they have enough in the hopper to replace him, I suppose he's gone. We have to wait and see.

If He can't line up and play 3-4 DE, what good is the guy? to be honest

He's currently under contract. He should be fined for the missed mandatory OTA, and any time he misses in camp.

His retirement and posturing for a trade to a Texas based team (to be near his home) ruined any trade value he may have had, so let him rot. If he wants to come back and play, fine. If he stays away, fine....

I would have said we should accommodate a trade for him had he kept his big mouth shut, without retirement talk or his desire to no longer play in Buffalo. At least then the Bills may have been able to get something for him. I'm sorry, but he can go piss up a tree at this point since he played this the way he did.

I like Aaron don't get me wrong

I just think we should start the youth movement sooner than later :rolleyes:

That's a valid point, but giving up the only proven sack guy we have is a blow. We don't know how he'd line up and play in a 3-4 but as a situational pass rusher, he'd be the best we have. Just to get off the damn field on third and long would be nice and to do that we have to pressure the QB. I think Aaron would give us the best shot at that and maybe he could teach Maybin a thing or two about having more than one freakin' move.