The truth about Flutie !!!

Well I think everyone has an opinion about this. Bottom line is, this was a major mistake by the Bills. Putting in Rob Johnson, who the week before had an excellent game was a mistake. You could compare it to a baseball team who's veteran pitcher has done pretty well through the regular season and should be starting game one of the divisional playoffs. Instead, a rookie who the last week of the regular season, throws a 2 hit shoutout with 8 to 10 strike outs to all of a sudden, being put in as the game one starter. It just does not make sense.

Who then goes on to have a Complete game in the playoffs only to have his center fielder drop a simple catch that allows the go-ahead run to score in the bottom of the ninth. He had that game won.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're both wrong. Wade was fired because he didn't wear headphones! :w00t:

I wonder if someone still has the article from when Wade was fired? I do remember the headphone issue, and I also remember the "refusing to fire one of his assistant coaches" issue as well. I don't remember enough details to make a case for either arguement, but I do remember that you both bring up valid issues with Wade at that time. I still don't think

Wade is all that great of a coach, but I do believe he is better than Jauron for sure, and probably Mularkey as well. I haven't formed an opinion on Chan Gailey yet, but I am already very concerned because of many of the off-season decisions that have been made, even though that would be directed more at Buddy Nix (and R. Wilson). I don't like the direction thay have taken in reference to drafting, and player aquisitions generally speaking. I did like the Easley pick overall, except he may have been available in the 5th round vice 4th. We're in trouble at left tackle, and unless they go with Brohm it guarantees more of the same at QB. Not that Brohm would do well, but he is more of an unknown factor, and we already know what we have with the other 2 donkeys !!!! Sorry I didn't stick exclusively to the topic, but the Bills have a way of getting one's blood to boil over and I needed to vent a little! Thanks.... 2010 Prediction 5-11 :D

whats this all about was flutie in to the powder

I know someone who was big into that "scene" (who is now an upstanding citizen as is doug)in boston at the time Doug and his haircut were the biggest thing in town. As it turns out many of same people in his Circle were also in Dougs circle, and they were not college kids with connections. These were career oriented drug dealers who would supply Doug and the rest of the golden eagles to party with them and sell coke to the rest of the BC party-goers. They were not the type of people that would hang around a college campus or get into a party with a hundred football players if not for the free dust.

I cant blame him though; it was the early 80s and everybody did that crap, and he and his friends were gettin it for free, and Im sure that stuff still goes on today.

I was never a big Flutie fan but I understood his appeal: He made the game fun to watch for people who dont understand the game or are just casual fans. I went to SJFC to watch training camp and remember people getting exited and cheering when he'd take off and run...IT WAS PRACTICE!!!!! he couldnt even get hit!!! The guy I was standing next to loved when he'd do it, and when he wasnt cheering flute, he was hassling "Marcus" Wiley for an autograph.

Truth about flutie he took a horrible offense and made it average; which was good enough when he had the 2nd ranked D in the league and one of the best D's in team history keepin the scores low for him. Mix in a few dazzling plays with inconsistant quarterbacking and youve got a playoff team. Then throw a 10 year QB drought on top of it and you've got stories like this one with inconsistent facts and Doug flutie beating the Titans if he had started that game. Whats funny is the fact that Flutie fans never seem to remember that RJ had that game won in heroic, last minute, no shoe, Flutie-esque fashion, only to have it stolen away by blind referees.

Flutie was fun to watch, thats it! Dont try to make him out to be some legend, because he wasnt.

By the time Flutie arrived in Buffalo, he was past his prime. His arm strength clearly declined over the course of his last few years in the NFL. Had Flutie played in the NFL throughout his prime, he probably would be comparable to a Tony Romo or someone of that stature. His "pixie hop" move was a small part of his repertoire, but should serve as a reminder that he could do things that other QBs just couldn't do. wouldn't be caught dead doing.

:)

Who then goes on to have a Complete game in the playoffs only to have his center fielder drop a simple catch that allows the go-ahead run to score in the bottom of the ninth. He had that game won.

That's one way to look at it. Another is being realistic and putting in the guy who has had success throughout the year or years.

That's one way to look at it. Another is being realistic and putting in the guy who has had success throughout the year or years.

If you reverse how we handle our QB situation in the regular season, then Johnson probably gets benched in the finale and Flutie benefits from the surrounding cast handing him a win over Indy before losing to Tennessee. This is what happens when none of your QBs are good enough. Truth be told, Alex Van Pelt was probably the best QB on the roster....

That team won because of the defense, not the QB. Flutie was shot, washed up, worn out, finished, done, concluded, consummated, decided, discharged, dispatched, disposed of, done for, done with, effected, effectuated, elaborated, ended, entire, executed, final, finalized, fulfilled, full, in the past, lapsed, made, over, over and done, perfected, performed, put into effect, realized, resolved, satisfied, settled, sewn up, shut, stopped, terminated, through, tied up, worked out, wound up, wrapped up.

If you reverse how we handle our QB situation in the regular season, then Johnson probably gets benched in the finale and Flutie benefits from the surrounding cast handing him a win over Indy before losing to Tennessee. This is what happens when none of your QBs are good enough. Truth be told, Alex Van Pelt was probably the best QB on the roster....

QFT B-)

That team won because of the defense, not the QB.

You think, with scoring totals of 10, 13, and 16. LOL

And some wonder why so many Bills fans have over hyped ideas of how good the team actually is every year.

Was never a hguge Flutie fan... and never beleived he could take us to the promise land... he was entertaining at itmes and that was about it

He was very entertaining, but you hit the nail on the head, he wasn't really a winner in the NFL. He had plenty of chances to show his stuff in the NFL before coming to Buffalo and never did.

He was very entertaining, but you hit the nail on the head, he wasn't really a winner in the NFL. He had plenty of chances to show his stuff in the NFL before coming to Buffalo and never did.

I am not a huge Flutie fan but the above is incorrect. He was virtually black balled by the NFL. When he went to Canada he had a winning record as a starter, and he was in his prime.

I'm not calling him a "winner," but he was certainly an NFL worthy quarterback.

I am not a huge Flutie fan but the above is incorrect. He was virtually black balled by the NFL. When he went to Canada he had a winning record as a starter, and he was in his prime.

I'm not calling him a "winner," but he was certainly an NFL worthy quarterback.

He wasn't black balled. Teams decided that he could not win consistently in the NFL. He went to Canada (as others had before him) and had a very good career. When he came back to the NFL in Buffalo it was proven that he could not win consistently in the NFL.

He got the most he could out of the talent he had, but it was not good enough to carry an NFL team.