Jobless Americans: The real unemployment rate 16.5% to 22%

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked about 27 years with the same company (with different owners). I started funding my retirement 25 years ago. In the last 5 years or more before layoff, if I got a raise, it ALL went into my 401K. As owners changed, pensions and 401Ks were NOT kept with the company that cut me.

I survived in a department of over 80 down to the final 12, but did not make the cut to the last 5 people.

I worked 20 months on contract and was cut again. Then I worked another job almost a year part-time, even though I was offered unemployment. I want to freaking work. I have not taken money from savings (except once for property taxes) and have not touched IRAs or 401Ks. I have not had NEW money to add to the retirement accounts since 2007.

I am a 57 year old who may end up taking a job at half or less of what I made. I can live with that but I am not finished! I am looking for a new career to occupy at least my next two decades. After that I am not sure what I will do, but it will be an adventure. I would like to travel a lot. There is so much to see.

I disagree with Ben Stein on this point; many do not want Boomers, even if they are twice as qualified as a younger person.

"Productive workers with real skills and real ability to get along are also sometimes unemployed, but they will be the last fired and the first hired."

Be flexible and reject paradigm thinking, all you Gen X, Y, Z'ers, your day will come. :w00t:

On the other hand, I'm a gubmint IT consultant. "Oh my God...you were in the same place for seven years?" Got a salary at the high end of the range, just for that. :lol:

I worked about 27 years with the same company (with different owners). I started funding my retirement 25 years ago. In the last 5 years or more before layoff, if I got a raise, it ALL went into my 401K. As owners changed, pensions and 401Ks were NOT kept with the company that cut me.

I survived in a department of over 80 down to the final 12, but did not make the cut to the last 5 people.

I worked 20 months on contract and was cut again. Then I worked another job almost a year part-time, even though I was offered unemployment. I want to freaking work. I have not taken money from savings (except once for property taxes) and have not touched IRAs or 401Ks. I have not had NEW money to add to the retirement accounts since 2007.

I am a 57 year old who may end up taking a job at half or less of what I made. I can live with that but I am not finished! I am looking for a new career to occupy at least my next two decades. After that I am not sure what I will do, but it will be an adventure. I would like to travel a lot. There is so much to see.

I disagree with Ben Stein on this point; many do not want Boomers, even if they are twice as qualified as a younger person.

"Productive workers with real skills and real ability to get along are also sometimes unemployed, but they will be the last fired and the first hired."

Be flexible and reject paradigm thinking, all you Gen X, Y, Z'ers, your day will come. :lol:

That's no the end of the story. Wait until they FINALLY get to Social Security. The fact that they've ignored it because the Dummycrats keep saying "there's no problem" will inevitably lead to both a benefit reduction AND an increase in the eligibility age. If you think it's tough to find a good job now, wait until you're 65 and there's literally no hiring climate because the required paradigm shift will take decades to trickle through.

It likely won't effect you but my generation is going to get a nice kick in the nuts.

That's no the end of the story. Wait until they FINALLY get to Social Security. The fact that they've ignored it because the Dummycrats keep saying "there's no problem" will inevitably lead to both a benefit reduction AND an increase in the eligibility age. If you think it's tough to find a good job now, wait until you're 65 and there's literally no hiring climate because the required paradigm shift will take decades to trickle through.

It likely won't effect you but my generation is going to get a nice kick in the nuts.

You're all lollipops and sunshine, aren't you...

You're all lollipops and sunshine, aren't you...

I don't know how anyone can be. Politicians have had us on a road to ruin for decades and the populous is more concerned about frivolous arguments than facing reality.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for Steely to point out some of my glaring mistakes.

I worked about 27 years with the same company (with different owners). I started funding my

Be flexible and reject paradigm thinking, all you Gen X, Y, Z'ers, your day will come. :w00t:

Or will it Rock? I totally agree on the flexibility and reject the paradigm thinking.

Graph :lol:

Notice that sharp decline in births... Me, 1968. Maybe jobs will be plentiful and catch up with the tech. I know where I work, workers are going to be going in droves during the coming years... Which is a good thing because it is the gov't and the Corps (USACE)! ;) Amazingly they (agency) are preparing... Let the exodus take place!

Becau$e they are expen$ive.

Expensive health costs. Expensive salary requirements.

Let alone labor costs... Especially in the trades. You wouldn't believe the accidents that are now happening at work! :lol: Younger guys like me (42... :w00t: ) gotta pick up the slack when it comes to a lot of ****... Send the guy that is 20 years older than me out in this heat, and they may drop. The work has to get done, so we do the bulk while the older guys get the easy work.

I don't know how anyone can be. Politicians have had us on a road to ruin for decades and the populous is more concerned about frivolous arguments than facing reality.

Yeah, part of me wishes I never started paying attention. It definitely adds a little bit of stress as I head toward 50 while watching my 5-year-old and wondering how bad it'll be for him.

But hey...it's just stress. Nothing a big wad of cash in my pocket won't fix.

Yeah, part of me wishes I never started paying attention. It definitely adds a little bit of stress as I head toward 50 while watching my 5-year-old and wondering how bad it'll be for him.

But hey...it's just stress. Nothing a big wad of cash in my pocket won't fix.

;):lol:

Jr. will appreciate that wad of cash no doubt!

Anyway... Why the heck you worried?... You aren't going to live the childs life or make them do what YOU want them too... Just guide/steer them in the right direction... They are the one's that will have to take the rudder. My God, worry about that big wad of cash... Not the child or whatever half-glass empty scenario you have played out in your mind. Give them the proper tools, teach them right... And things won't be a problem. "How bad it'll be for him" :lol::w00t:

Becau$e they are expen$ive.

Expensive health costs. Expensive salary requirements.

We are in agreement. Employers do not want Boomers unless they fill a special niche.

Stein was saying skilled, productive, team players will be the last fired and first rehired. NOT TRUE! Since 2007, each job has paid less, but I did not B word because it was WORK. :lol:

Or will it Rock? I totally agree on the flexibility and reject the paradigm thinking.

Graph :w00t:

Notice that sharp decline in births... Me, 1968. Maybe jobs will be plentiful and catch up with the tech. I know where I work, workers are going to be going in droves during the coming years... Which is a good thing because it is the gov't and the Corps (USACE)! ;) Amazingly they (agency) are preparing... Let the exodus take place!

You are not allowing for the potential waves of legal aliens who may need government assistance. :lol:

So they've extended unemployment benefits again? Great, that is not going to help things at all. I interview pretty much every week and I see anywhere between 10-20 people each week. Our corp HR department screens people and they contact close to 200 every week for me. I have actually heard (and so have our other offices as well as our HR) people say "if you can't offer me as much as I'm making on unemployment I'm not interested." Most of our compensation comes from commissions and fees we charge our clients and we do have a six month salary program that is a bit less than unemployment but also include commissions. This is a career where if you work hard and follow the process you can make great money but these lazy mother effers are driving me crazy. If they had and immediate need for money we'd have to beat them away with a stick. Just like we had to during the last recession when unemployment didn't last two years. Good job motherment.

What I've told my HR is that if they say they're rather sit on their ass for unemployment than bust their ass to start a long term career, I don't want them anyway.

So they've extended unemployment benefits again? Great, that is not going to help things at all. I interview pretty much every week and I see anywhere between 10-20 people each week. Our corp HR department screens people and they contact close to 200 every week for me. I have actually heard (and so have our other offices as well as our HR) people say "if you can't offer me as much as I'm making on unemployment I'm not interested." Most of our compensation comes from commissions and fees we charge our clients and we do have a six month salary program that is a bit less than unemployment but also include commissions. This is a career where if you work hard and follow the process you can make great money but these lazy mother effers are driving me crazy. If they had and immediate need for money we'd have to beat them away with a stick. Just like we had to during the last recession when unemployment didn't last two years. Good job motherment.

What I've told my HR is that if they say they're rather sit on their ass for unemployment than bust their ass to start a long term career, I don't want them anyway.

Why do you think disability enforcement is so tight? If people can get paid more not to work than to work, they're not going to work. Me, I'd like a salary and a commission. Salary helps round out the lows, commission helps you make your own raise. Best of both worlds! :rolleyes: