Patio

ricojes

Want to put in a new patio. Looking for any advice or recommendations in the Amherst area.

We have a little cracked patio now, looking to expand. Don't really want anything too fancy, but something that will last. I would love to put a fire pit in it, but probably get out voted on that. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Want to put in a new patio. Looking for any advice or recommendations in the Amherst area.

We have a little cracked patio now, looking to expand. Don't really want anything too fancy, but something that will last. I would love to put a fire pit in it, but probably get out voted on that. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Just don't put a picnic table out there.....heard that attracts the weirdos.

You can take a sledge and crack up the old concrete. Be sure to break all the way through. Then put pavers down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqV7YuKdtz8

If you are increasing the size beyond the old patio, Be sure to address drainage. Some sort of French drain - if you don't take such simple steps, you might over-saturate a tree when the rains comes (and can crash down), or drive groundwater and water pressure to your house foundation.

This is important.

I've found the classes done at Lowes / Home Depot to be good starting points for projects like this - write your questions down ahead of time. Try to find one or two "do it yourselfers" that have tackled the project to get their insights before you go to the class. I learned to lay tile and hardwood this way.

BTW - agree entirely with Cincy - preparing the bed and drainage are keys - You will also need to considr frost heaving along with what he said.

I've put in a stamped concrete patio. Only maintenance is sealing it once a year. It has picked up some cracks here and there.

Neighbor put in a multi-level patio and turned out quite well. Even incorporated a fire pit with it as well.

It can be done yourself, but keys are as stated before. And, if you do it yourself expect it to take 3X longer than if you had someone do it for you.

I've found the classes done at Lowes / Home Depot to be good starting points for projects like this - write your questions down ahead of time. Try to find one or two "do it yourselfers" that have tackled the project to get their insights before you go to the class. I learned to lay tile and hardwood this way.

BTW - agree entirely with Cincy - preparing the bed and drainage are keys - You will also need to considr frost heaving along with what he said.

I am not doing this one myself, I'll just hire it out. I want the patio done right, not saying I couldn't learn it, but for something like this, I'll let the experts do it. I do want to tile my bathroom though, i thought about taking the Lowe's class for that.

ANGIES LIST IS WORTH THE PRICE!

I know a lot of people that swear by Angie's list. When my brother needs something done he goes on there looks for the right contractor, mason, plumber, etc and the first 3 on the list get called. Which ever is lowest on price gets the job. He has a huge house with a pool that is more expensive than my 3 bedroom, 1,300 sq. ft. house. Suffice it to say, he can't have less than top quality especially because he will be moving in the next year due to changing jobs. Angie's list will not lead you wrong, whatever choice you make.

If you like to spend time outdoors and are in a warm enough area than I advise finding a way to screen in the patio or at least to have the option in the future. You will not regret it. Here in NC we eat our Thanksgiving meals in the screened in porch deck every year.

ANGIES LIST IS WORTH THE PRICE!

I know a lot of people that swear by Angie's list. When my brother needs something done he goes on there looks for the right contractor, mason, plumber, etc and the first 3 on the list get called. Which ever is lowest on price gets the job. He has a huge house with a pool that is more expensive than my 3 bedroom, 1,300 sq. ft. house. Suffice it to say, he can't have less than top quality especially because he will be moving in the next year due to changing jobs. Angie's list will not lead you wrong, whatever choice you make.

If you like to spend time outdoors and are in a warm enough area than I advise finding a way to screen in the patio or at least to have the option in the future. You will not regret it. Here in NC we eat our Thanksgiving meals in the screened in porch deck every year.

Yeah, I know. I have heard nothing but good things regarding Angie's list, just thought I'd try billslist first...

You can take a sledge and crack up the old concrete. Be sure to break all the way through. Then put pavers down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqV7YuKdtz8

If you are increasing the size beyond the old patio, Be sure to address drainage. Some sort of French drain - if you don't take such simple steps, you might over-saturate a tree when the rains comes (and can crash down), or drive groundwater and water pressure to your house foundation.

This is important.

I was going to mention pavers but I wasn't sure how they held up in the wacked WNY climate. But we had them in our patio in southern CA and I loved them.