U.S struggles, D.C booms

U.S struggles, D.C booms

America is struggling with a sputtering economy and high unemployment — but times are booming for Washington’s governing class.

The massive expansion of government under President Barack Obama has basically guaranteed a robust job market for policy professionals, regulators and contractors for years to come. The housing market, boosted by the large number of high-income earners in the area, many working in politics and government, is easily outpacing the markets in most of the country. And there are few signs of economic distress in hotels, restaurants or stores in the D.C. metro area.

As a result, there is a yawning gap between the American people and D.C.’s powerful when it comes to their economic reality — and their economic perceptions.

A new POLITICO poll, conducted by market research and consulting firm Penn Schoen Berland, underscores the big divide: Roughly 45 percent of “Washington elites” said the country and the economy are headed in the right direction, while roughly 25 percent of the general population said they felt that way.

Another interesting poll number in that same article.

By far, the most alarming numbers this poll presents for President Barack Obama are the reelection figures; against a generic Republican candidate, he loses by 5 points, 37-42. In general, when an incumbent’s reelect numbers fall below 50 percent, it’s a sign of trouble to come — and Obama’s inability to break even 40 percent may be the most telling indicator to come out of these data.

I enjoyed reading that article this morning. And I agree that cuts need to take place in this area, way too much redundancy and not enough coordination. One of the many areas that need to be trimmed down.

One of the main platforms that the next good president could try to achieve is to attempt to make the U.S leaner and meaner and put us back to a more sound fiscal footing. Reforming the entitlements, cutting out fraud and waste, trimming defense, reducing our military exposure in unfriendly territories, lowering corporate taxes in my view would be a winning platform. :devil:

One of the main platforms that the next good president could try to achieve is to attempt to make the U.S leaner and meaner and put us back to a more sound fiscal footing. Reforming the entitlements, cutting out fraud and waste, trimming defense, reducing our military exposure in unfriendly territories, lowering corporate taxes in my view would be a winning platform. :devil:

There is always somebody else pushing when you are pullin Magox. How is that ever going to happen in today's political climate/system? Hate to say it, it may be next to impossible.

There is always somebody else pushing when you are pullin Magox. How is that ever going to happen in today's political climate/system? Hate to say it, it may be next to impossible.

You may be right Exiled... As I always say, it will take a crisis in order to force us to act in a meaningful way. Mark my words, it will be the bond vigilantes that hold us accountable.