Does anyone watch Whale Wars?

boyst

Honestly... What is wrong with taking one's alotted share of whales? Are they no different than other commercial fishing? We eat other things from the sea, why not whales? What are the Japanese doing that is so wrong? Taking too much? Over fishing... I mean whaling? Why does this bother people so much?

Any "save the whales" people out there care to explain. I am not calling for total decimation of the earth's whale population... But come on, let's be practical.

I know exactly what you are saying! My only issue is that they so blatantly say it is for "research" and than puts millions in to stopping Sea Sheppard - as they should. But Bethune said it best, they are just sandal wearing hippies and they need to be down there with a purpose. I do not think either of the groups are right. If whaling numbers are low and cannot be managed than they should not be commercially hunted. The same would be true if cattle were in short supply.

I know exactly what you are saying! My only issue is that they so blatantly say it is for "research" and than puts millions in to stopping Sea Sheppard - as they should. But Bethune said it best, they are just sandal wearing hippies and they need to be down there with a purpose. I do not think either of the groups are right. If whaling numbers are low and cannot be managed than they should not be commercially hunted. The same would be true if cattle were in short supply.

I never quite got that out of the Japanese... Why do they call it "research." I agree with what you say. Then again, who is to regulate it and make sure everybody is on the up and up for the health of the seas?

I never quite got that out of the Japanese... Why do they call it "research." I agree with what you say. Then again, who is to regulate it and make sure everybody is on the up and up for the health of the seas?

To answer both your questions, because they are smarter than you are. Mind you, that does not say much for them.

Honestly... What is wrong with taking one's alotted share of whales? Are they no different than other commercial fishing? We eat other things from the sea, why not whales? What are the Japanese doing that is so wrong? Taking too much? Over fishing... I mean whaling? Why does this bother people so much?

Any "save the whales" people out there care to explain. I am not calling for total decimation of the earth's whale population... But come on, let's be practical.

let me start with saying I'm not on either side...ok here goes,

1: whaling is done in a "santuary" where they are not supposed to be whaling

2: the vast majority of whale meat and dolphin meat is very high in mercury and a few other dangerous elements

3: whale and dolphin meat is, for the most part, consumed by the people who are fishing it, therefore they are poisoning their own people ( think about how drug dealers pollute their neighborhoods)

4: due to maritime/international law, the japanese whalers slip thru the "research" loophole, which basically states that any leftover whale not used for research can be sold to market. However, as the footage shows, when they bring a whale aboard it looks more like a chef breaking down a chicken than it does research.

5: the japanese whalers often kill endangered whales, they hunt several diff't types of whales, and often kill the endangered ones.

So, whats the solution....

1: Maybe the parents of the retarded jap children should do the research and figure out that the whale meat they ate caused the retardation, I know if my meat was labeled "my cause retardation in future offspring" i wouldn't buy it.

2: close the loophole, the sea-sheperds, and anyone else who feels this is an important issue, should be pushing to change the laws so that the "research" is "no-kill" research.

also, there is no "alotted" # of whales, its a self imposed limit the japs place on themselves, as of today there are 3 nations that actively whale, its a dying enterprise, and produces very little of value.

whales give more to the ecosystem alive than they do dead, they control giant squid population among other useful things.

Normally, I don't side with the hippies, but the more I look into this I can't help but lean towards the Sea-Sheperds, although I disagree with their tactics.

info for either side can be found at:

jap whaling site

hippie propaganda

let me start with saying I'm not on either side...ok here goes,

1: whaling is done in a "santuary" where they are not supposed to be whaling

2: the vast majority of whale meat and dolphin meat is very high in mercury and a few other dangerous elements

3: whale and dolphin meat is, for the most part, consumed by the people who are fishing it, therefore they are poisoning their own people ( think about how drug dealers pollute their neighborhoods)

4: due to maritime/international law, the japanese whalers slip thru the "research" loophole, which basically states that any leftover whale not used for research can be sold to market. However, as the footage shows, when they bring a whale aboard it looks more like a chef breaking down a chicken than it does research.

5: the japanese whalers often kill endangered whales, they hunt several diff't types of whales, and often kill the endangered ones.

So, whats the solution....

1: Maybe the parents of the retarded jap children should do the research and figure out that the whale meat they ate caused the retardation, I know if my meat was labeled "my cause retardation in future offspring" i wouldn't buy it.

2: close the loophole, the sea-sheperds, and anyone else who feels this is an important issue, should be pushing to change the laws so that the "research" is "no-kill" research.

also, there is no "alotted" # of whales, its a self imposed limit the japs place on themselves, as of today there are 3 nations that actively whale, its a dying enterprise, and produces very little of value.

whales give more to the ecosystem alive than they do dead, they control giant squid population among other useful things.

Normally, I don't side with the hippies, but the more I look into this I can't help but lean towards the Sea-Sheperds, although I disagree with their tactics.

info for either side can be found at:

jap whaling site

hippie propaganda

That is is exactly why I think I watch it; I cannot make my mind up! The more I think about it, like from the beginning, it jus seems that if anything the Japanese are the ones who are in the wrong to do this to our Earth's species. The hippies, though, are going about it all wrong. I would go Cartman on them - ram ships, throw grenades, etc. It'd be more fun! All kidding aside, they need to fight it by changing laws. The only good of this show and their actions is it is soon going to force someone to step in...and like in life, it is not the one who punches first who gets in trouble, it's the one who hits back second...