Inception

Wooderson

Am I the only one who finds Nolan to be ... how should I put this ... BORING. The Dark Knight and Inception, while both were beautiful films, were so dull visually. He has some neat tricks, but there's no heart. No risks.

I'm a huge fan of Memento, Batman Begins and even the Following (haven't seen the Prestige yet). I went in wanting to love Inception because I've heard nothing but rave reviews. And I enjoyed it. I highly recommend it to people. But, like Dark Knight, I think it's vastly over rated. On every level. The best part of the movie was JGL. That dude is a star waiting to happen.

Leo needs to do a comedy STAT. He's played the same exact role for the past 12 films (and arguably Shutter Island and Inception are actually the same f'ing movie ... plot wise at least). He's arguably the best working actor in the business right now, but he takes himself far too seriously and it's starting to wear thin. He needs a change before he gets stuck in that rut.

end:/rant

The best part of the movie was JGL. That dude is a star waiting to happen.

Agreed. This kid has very quietly become one of my favorite actors. I saw a film called Killshot a while back and his performance blew me away. I had no idea he had that sort of range, and he's very good at immersing himself in the role.

Am I the only one who finds Nolan to be ... how should I put this ... BORING. The Dark Knight and Inception, while both were beautiful films, were so dull visually. He has some neat tricks, but there's no heart. No risks.

I'm a huge fan of Memento, Batman Begins and even the Following (haven't seen the Prestige yet). I went in wanting to love Inception because I've heard nothing but rave reviews. And I enjoyed it. I highly recommend it to people. But, like Dark Knight, I think it's vastly over rated. On every level. The best part of the movie was JGL. That dude is a star waiting to happen.

Leo needs to do a comedy STAT. He's played the same exact role for the past 12 films (and arguably Shutter Island and Inception are actually the same f'ing movie ... plot wise at least). He's arguably the best working actor in the business right now, but he takes himself far too seriously and it's starting to wear thin. He needs a change before he gets stuck in that rut.

I liked Memento (which I finally saw after many years of saying I was going to see it) but actually hated both Batman movies. I thought The Prestige was pretty boring, but that may have been due to me being a bit under the weather when I saw it. I will try it again sometime.

I consider Nolan to be pretty overrated and feel the same way about DiCaprio.

My comments on your thoughts:

I saw Inception and was not very impressed. On the plus side - good visuals, good direction. Gripes - (1) the concept is not original and is ripped from Cronenberg's Existenz. (2) DiCaprio is not showing any range in his acting. His acting and dialog delivery in Departed, Shutter Island and Inception are the same (3) There is a fine line between a complex story and a confusing one and this movie crossed it.

Was there really any reason to go down to the fifth dream level ? What did going progresively deeper really add to the storyline ?

(4) Too long by half an hour. The last 45 minutes or so were just like some dumb action movie.

Ultimately, I came away unimpressed with the story. But it won't spoil your afternoon if you do watch it

I liked Memento (which I finally saw after many years of saying I was going to see it) but actually hated both Batman movies. I thought The Prestige was pretty boring, but that may have been due to me being a bit under the weather when I saw it. I will try it again sometime.

I consider Nolan to be pretty overrated and feel the same way about DiCaprio.

I agree with you for the most part -- though I liked Begins.

I think what's happening is that Nolan is an adult director of popcorn movies. He's not soulless like Michael Bay and he's not as poppy as Spielberg. Nolan slides in and fills a huge void in the mainstream Hollywood system. And I'm all for that. However, because he's the only one doing it (or at least the only one doing it with 100 million plus budgets), people revere him as a new genius of the medium. Audiences are just thirsty for more of his brand of entertainment -- even if in reality he's pretty dull and, as you said, overrated.

Everything is hype and marketing these days. And Nolan is on the right side of that coin. I have a sneaking suspicion that the next film he does will have the Funny People effect (i.e. the town falling head over heels for Nolan and letting him have total and absolute control as they did with Apatow's last film. That will result in the film being far too indulgent, messy and missing its mark emotionally and creatively -- like Funny People did) ... but I could be wrong.

My comments on your thoughts:

I saw Inception and was not very impressed. On the plus side - good visuals, good direction. Gripes - (1) the concept is not original and is ripped from Cronenberg's Existenz.

Actually it was ripped from Joseph Ruben's 1984 film "Dreamscape."

Actually it was ripped from Joseph Ruben's 1984 film "Dreamscape."

I have not seen that movie but to me it seemed similar in concept to Existenz. In any case, the point being that this is not an original story as is hyped in the reviews and public reaction. It may be a different take on the idea but the premise is not ground-breaking.

I have not seen that movie but to me it seemed similar in concept to Existenz. In any case, the point being that this is not an original story as is hyped in the reviews and public reaction. It may be a different take on the idea but the premise is not ground-breaking.

You should check it out. Good movie.

You've just described every single movie, song, or book out there. At this point, the well has run dry and no matter what crazy idea someone comes up with, it can be associated with something else that has been written already.

News flash: There isn't anything truly groundbreaking being made in Hollywood. That being said, I'm interested by Inception, because I am a Nolan fan.

News flash: There isn't anything truly groundbreaking being made in Hollywood. That being said, I'm interested by Inception, because I am a Nolan fan.

I'm interested in Inception, but not necessarily because of Nolan.

It's playing at an IMAX theater here. Is this something that would benefit from that? (Not really asking you, Joe as you haven't seen it.)

I'm interested in Inception, but not necessarily because of Nolan.

It's playing at an IMAX theater here. Is this something that would benefit from that? (Not really asking you, Joe as you haven't seen it.)

I just saw it last night at a local theater that had it on an IMAX screen, but of course, the last two tickets to the IMAX were sold immediately in front of our group. Seeing what was going on during the film on a normal screen would lead me to believe that it would've been a much better experience on an IMAX, and I wish I would've been able to do so. The sound effects throughout the movie, even more than the visuals, would have been incredible and much more profound in an IMAX theater. I thought they were amazing on a regular screen. That being said, it was a very good - not great - movie as a whole IMO.

I just saw it last night at a local theater that had it on an IMAX screen, but of course, the last two tickets to the IMAX were sold immediately in front of our group. Seeing what was going on during the film on a normal screen would lead me to believe that it would've been a much better experience on an IMAX, and I wish I would've been able to do so. The sound effects throughout the movie, even more than the visuals, would have been incredible and much more profound in an IMAX theater. I thought they were amazing on a regular screen. That being said, it was a very good - not great - movie as a whole IMO.

Thanks

You've just described every single movie, song, or book out there. At this point, the well has run dry and no matter what crazy idea someone comes up with, it can be associated with something else that has been written already.

True and I don't necessarily have a problem (nor a choice) with rehashed plot lines. I was responding to the refrain I have been hearing that this is an 'original' story and concept. Which it most definitely is not.

True and I don't necessarily have a problem (nor a choice) with rehashed plot lines. I was responding to the refrain I have been hearing that this is an 'original' story and concept. Which it most definitely is not.

You have to remember that we're talking about a genre that is ruled by remakes, sequels, and movie versions of tv shows. This is incredibly original by those standards. The bar is as low as it has ever been.

You have to remember that we're talking about a genre that is ruled by remakes, sequels, and movie versions of tv shows. This is incredibly original by those standards. The bar is as low as it has ever been.

No kidding, this summer movie season has been pretty poor so far. As a side note, see the following for terrific takes on tired genres:

"Let the Right one In" with a vampire

"Revanche" for a very different type of revenge

Solid movie--three observations/criticisms.

1) Thought the first part of the movie dragged, but picked up well when they started the Fisher heist.

2) As one poster said above, I turned to my friend that said, "Doesn't DiCaprio play the same character in every movie?" He just plays this "raw" character; it's great, but the same.

3) Music is unreal; it really drives the last 1/2 hour of the movie.

I agree with about half of this. Di caprio has been making the same face for about 8 or so years now. he's falling into the Charlize Theron, Jennifer connolly killjoy trap.

Though I will never understand not loving The Dark Knight.

Inception is pretty great (my ripoff claim: Dark City...but really this kind of film has its roots in Un Chien Andalou which is from like 1928 or so). My only real problem with the film was too much exposition. I felt like things were getting explained to death without putting enough of the dream logic into context. Although I don't care for it as a film, I do love how The Matrix wallowed in philosophic questions. Inception does not do that nearly enough in favor of making sure the audience isn't lost.

But yeah, I was really nice to pay $10 and NOT have my intelligence insulted.