Marcus Strouds transition?

having only seen the last two years of strouds career in depth i am wodering if moving to the 5 technique will help his career or help end it? he seems to be good at reading the play and diagnosing the play, the ability to contain and keep ball carriers from turning the corner will be the #1 priority....does he have enough speed to keep the corner? can alex carrington?

The odds sure do seem against him losing weight and gaining quickness at this time in his career, but Carl Lewis ran under ten seconds in the 100m dash when he was 39, so anything is possible. I like that Stroud has embraced the role, instead of gaining twenty pounds and mailing in an average season in the middle. He seems like he is having fun with it. I am going out on a limb and saying Stroud succeeds.

Hard to say, Lou.

Stroud has decent initial quickness and bulk. He's rangy for a big man and could be a poor man's Richard Seymour (his former Georgia teammate).

I think he has a chance to do well. As a 5-technique DE he will be asked to hold the point and set the edge while playing a two-gap technique. While he's played mostly one-gap the past few years in Buffalo, as an interior lineman, he should be very accustomed with combination blocks and double teams. He might find the reduced traffic at DE refreshing after playing DT for his entire career.

On the downside, I believe that Stroud is definitely on the downside of his career.

The move to end could extend his career and might be a good move for him and the team. Or he might be finished.

Being the optimistic type, I'll say he has a good year, though it's impossible to say one way or the other.

Another interesting subplot to the 2010 season.

This thread title is kinda funny, you make it sound like Marcus Stroud is going from pre-op to post-op :blink:

That said, he will play 3 technique or 4 technique depending on tight end and linebacker alignment. Meaning he will still line up in the G/T gap (the B gap) quite often and will line up square on the tackle in other situations, which shouldn't be that much different/

The odds sure do seem against him losing weight and gaining quickness at this time in his career, but Carl Lewis ran under ten seconds in the 100m dash when he was 39, so anything is possible. I like that Stroud has embraced the role, instead of gaining twenty pounds and mailing in an average season in the middle. He seems like he is having fun with it. I am going out on a limb and saying Stroud succeeds.

Stroud has already lost 15 pounds, and is down to 300.

Yeah, he looked much different at the open practice this year.

The other day, my friends were talking about how someone from high school "made the transition". I had no idea that that meant a sex change.

having only seen the last two years of strouds career in depth i am wodering if moving to the 5 technique will help his career or help end it? he seems to be good at reading the play and diagnosing the play, the ability to contain and keep ball carriers from turning the corner will be the #1 priority....does he have enough speed to keep the corner? can alex carrington?

You don't need all that much speed. Otherwise they wouldn't have, for example, B.J. Raji playing DE in Green Bay, or Ngata sometimes playing DE in Baltimore. The question is whether he is athletic enough and at the same time strong enough to soak up a tackle's charge and still cover both gaps on run plays.

I'm guessing Stroud, when healthy, will do extremely well. We'll see, though.

You don't need all that much speed. Otherwise they wouldn't have, for example, B.J. Raji playing DE in Green Bay, or Ngata sometimes playing DE in Baltimore. The question is whether he is athletic enough and at the same time strong enough to soak up a tackle's charge and still cover both gaps on run plays.

I'm guessing Stroud, when healthy, will do extremely well. We'll see, though.

Good points. In fact, taking on tackles, who tend to be lighter than guards, will probably help Stroud at this stage of his career.

Hard to say, Lou.

Stroud has decent initial quickness and bulk. He's rangy for a big man and could be a poor man's Richard Seymour (his former Georgia teammate).

I think he has a chance to do well. As a 5-technique DE he will be asked to hold the point and set the edge while playing a two-gap technique. While he's played mostly one-gap the past few years in Buffalo, as an interior lineman, he should be very accustomed with combination blocks and double teams. He might find the reduced traffic at DE refreshing after playing DT for his entire career.

On the downside, I believe that Stroud is definitely on the downside of his career.

The move to end could extend his career and might be a good move for him and the team. Or he might be finished.

Being the optimistic type, I'll say he has a good year, though it's impossible to say one way or the other.

Another interesting subplot to the 2010 season.

He can play whatever "technique" he likes. I own the snap count and as long as my linemen don't put a knuckle down I'll set my OL as I please. I might even snap the moment after the line is set. Or not.

Frankly, I'm looking at your LBs and DBs and see how they place and dance about. And hoping your DLs shift around in response to my OL sets and ignore what I have in the backfield.

Hes definately got the length to be successful. That position requires a tall long player with some bulk. I have a feeling though however that Alex Carrington is going to be an absolute beast and will end up possibly starting or spelling Stroud on 3rd down.