Ralph isn't cheap!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I did play college football at a very good academic school. I guess i'm a loser too. :thumbsup:

Ah, I was wondering when Seabiscuit the Kool Aid guzzler was gonna chime in to defend any perceived slight against his beloved Bills... you can set your watch to these types of things.

Actually, I played sports and put those nerds in toilet bowls. :thumbsup: It's jsut funny when people criticize those who are fair more successful than them. It seems like jealous. Ralph is a millionaire, have won 2 AFL championships, went to 4 SBs, keep a franchise in the 2nd smallest market i nthe NFL despite the fact he could mae a TON more money elsewhere, was elected to the HOF by football writers, but he is a loser? That doesn't sound silly to you?

Look, you've got to let that one go--it doesn't help your argument...mainly because it's just not true.

Ralph made one great decision in his lifetime that has paid him unimaginablefinancial dividends and he he kept the exact same course for 50 years.

Doesn't make him a great businessman though.

Look, you've got to let that one go--it doesn't help your argument...mainly because it's just not true.

Ralph made one great decision in his lifetime that has paid him unimaginablefinancial dividends and he he kept the exact same course for 50 years.

Team owner, maybe. Business man? You may want to research RW's success in various other business ventures. Particularly insurance.

GO BILLS!!!

Keep on telling yourself that one, doc. Maybe someday you'll convince someone besides yourself.

See the post above mine. He wasn't just successful with his NFL business venture.

If you let someone insult your daughter and do nothing about it, you're a coward. And those FO were loaded. AJ Smith and John Butler were more than capable replacements.

The insult to his daughter is a bogus issue. She worked in the scouting department. There is no doubt tht Polian had a temper and was very profane. John Butler and AJ Smith were also targets of his temper. John Butler had little affection for Polian. When Ralph's daughter worked as a scout she wasn't there as Ralph's daughter, she was there as an employee. I'm sure she wouldn't want to be treated differently from anyone else. No one is disputing that Polian was a tough boss and difficult to work for. That is why he is a HOF GM. You don't think AJ Smith is difficult to work for? Just ask Shottenheimer how hard nosed and unyielding Smith is.

The primary reason for Polian's exit had to do with his epic clashes with Ralph's finance man, Litton. Their conflicts were over players and payroll. The owner ultimately sided with Litton and Polian was shown the door. That is the critical reason for his departure. Was Polian easy to deal with? Of course not. Even he will agree he is a difficult person to deal with. Marv Levy is much easier to deal with. How far did being congenial get this franchise?

And those FO were loaded. AJ Smith and John Butler were more than capable replacements.

Part of the job, if not the most important job of a GM, is to put together a quality staff. Polian certainly did that. Contrast that to how our scouting department has performed over the past decade? With respect to AJ Smith and John Butler you forgot to mention that both were fired by the owner. It really didn't matter that they got fired because both were going to leave. After his departure Butler made a number comments about how difficult it was to work for an owner like Ralph.

There is no surprise that both Polian and John Butler/deceased and AJ Smith have thrived in their new locations. There is no surprise that the Buffalo franchise has struggled since they departed.

This post is to dispel the theory and multiple posts that Ralph Wilson is cheap and not committed to winning.

The Buffalo Bills ranked 12th in the league last year in player salaries including all bonuses paid. We were ranked 25th in total revenue earned in 2008 by Forbes.

For comparison, the Bills spent more on players in 2009 than seven playoff teams: the Baltimore Ravens ($109M), Philadelphia Eagles ($102.5M), Indianapolis Colts ($101M), Minnesota Vikings ($100M), New England Patriots ($98M), Cincinnati Bengals ($95M), and Dallas Cowboys ($91M). The Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints spent $122M, while the New York Giants topped the list at $138M.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal....aspx?year=2009

To say that Ralph isn't committed to winning is not only the wrong opinion it's a complete fallacy. The Bills were said to be worth $909 million which is 26th in the league.

Here's a quote from MattRichWarren from Buffalo Rumblings which I think sums it up best.

"The better way to truly compare teams is operating income. That's the total income from merchandise, tickets, parking, concessions, and everything else that is unique to an individual team. In 2008, the Bills' operating income was $39.5M, good for a surprising 12. Conversely, the Washington Redskins made $90.3M. So in a truly capitalist system, the Redskins would be able to spend over $50M more on players and coaches than the Bills."

Ralph has obviously not made the best choices throughout his tenure, especially over the last decade or so, but he is committed to winning. He has tried to put together a winning product. Just because he has also made money within the framework of allocating resources to the teams success doesn't make him cheap, that's what every business man does.

To you conspiracy theorist that believe Ralph does just enough to sell his product, but won't spend enough to win - I disagree. I submit it would take more effort to balance that model, than it would be to win.

This post is to dispel the theory and multiple posts that Ralph Wilson is cheap and not committed to winning.

The Buffalo Bills ranked 12th in the league last year in player salaries including all bonuses paid. We were ranked 25th in total revenue earned in 2008 by Forbes.

For comparison, the Bills spent more on players in 2009 than seven playoff teams: the Baltimore Ravens ($109M), Philadelphia Eagles ($102.5M), Indianapolis Colts ($101M), Minnesota Vikings ($100M), New England Patriots ($98M), Cincinnati Bengals ($95M), and Dallas Cowboys ($91M). The Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints spent $122M, while the New York Giants topped the list at $138M.

To say that Ralph isn't committed to winning is not only the wrong opinion it's a complete fallacy. The Bills were said to be worth $909 million which is 26th in the league.

Here's a quote from MattRichWarren from Buffalo Rumblings which I think sums it up best.

"The better way to truly compare teams is operating income. That's the total income from merchandise, tickets, parking, concessions, and everything else that is unique to an individual team. In 2008, the Bills' operating income was $39.5M, good for a surprising 12. Conversely, the Washington Redskins made $90.3M. So in a truly capitalist system, the Redskins would be able to spend over $50M more on players and coaches than the Bills."

Ralph has obviously not made the best choices throughout his tenure, especially over the last decade or so, but he is committed to winning. He has tried to put together a winning product. Just because he has also made money within the framework of allocating resources to the teams success doesn't make him cheap, that's what every business man does.

To you conspiracy theorist that believe Ralph does just enough to sell his product, but won't spend enough to win - I disagree. I submit it would take more effort to balance that model, than it would be to win.

Wow, you are officially the dumbest person on this board. We had no offensive line last year, and what have we done to help that in the offseason? There were plenty off offensive lineman, and left tackles on the free agency list and he decided not to sign them because THEY WOULD COST TOO MUCH MONEY. Ralph is truely the only reason we have failed to make the playoffs in the past ten seasons. He consistantly every year completely ignored our major needs because he does not want to spend money. Instead we draft the players we need in the fifth round so we only have to pay thme very minimum amounts. You should stop sleeping with ralph. Officially dumbest bills fan ive ever seen.

Wow, you are officially the dumbest person on this board. We had no offensive line last year, and what have we done to help that in the offseason? There were plenty off offensive lineman, and left tackles on the free agency list and he decided not to sign them because THEY WOULD COST TOO MUCH MONEY. Ralph is truely the only reason we have failed to make the playoffs in the past ten seasons. He consistantly every year completely ignored our major needs because he does not want to spend money. Instead we draft the players we need in the fifth round so we only have to pay thme very minimum amounts. You should stop sleeping with ralph. Officially dumbest bills fan ive ever seen.

Oh, the irony!

The Bills have their interior O-line set, having drafted to OG's/OC in the 1st and 2nd round last year and signing Hangartner. They signed a RT in FA. They're in the process of developing a LT and there were no decent FA LT's, much less "plenty" of them.

Oh, the irony!

The Bills have their interior O-line set, having drafted to OG's/OC in the 1st and 2nd round last year and signing Hangartner. They signed a RT in FA. They're in the process of developing a LT and there were no decent FA LT's, much less "plenty" of them.

Yes - they are ready to be one of the league's top OLs... :thumbsup:

Oh, the irony!

C'mon, Doc. EVERYBODY knows that there is a plethora of LTs available via FAgency EVERY year. I mean, LT is one of the easiest positions to fill. Other teams routinely let their great LTs go. There were hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of them on the market this off-season. The Bills could have had their pick of the litter.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes - they are ready to be one of the league's top OLs... :wallbash:

Why is it always all or nothing? :thumbsup:

C'mon, Doc. EVERYBODY knows that there is a plethora of LTs available via FAgency EVERY year. I mean, LT is one of the easiest positions to fill. Other teams routinely let their great LTs go. There were hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of them on the market this off-season. The Bills could have had their pick of the litter.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep. Ralph was just too cheap. That money he spent on Dockery and Walker as FA's was a mirage.

GO BILLS!!!

Well actually, now that you mention it, there were a fair number of them out there for the picking this offseason. There were several first-round prospects, including Anthony Davis who the Bills passed on. Both Jamaal Brown and Jared Gaither were available via trade.

Yep. Ralph was just too cheap. That money he spent on Dockery and Walker as FA's was a mirage.

It wasn't a mirage. It was just another set of mistakes which needed to be corrected. Sometimes being smart is better than being profligate. If our free agent evaluations and acquisitions were better made we wouldn't have to dedicate so many of our draft picks on going back and readdressing the same positions.

It isn't so much about the money. It is mostly about the competency of the organization.

It wasn't a mirage. It was just another set of mistakes which needed to be corrected. Sometimes being smart is better than being profligate. If our free agent evaluations and acquisitions were better made we wouldn't have to dedicate so many of our draft picks on going back and readdressing the same positions.

It isn't so much about the money. It is mostly about the competency of the organization.

Fair enough. But again, over the last 2-1/2 decades, and outside of the 4 years of Levy/Brandon, the organizational hires have been sound WRT GM's, who in turn hire the coaches.

Why is it always all or nothing? :thumbsup:

They might be able to improve their lot if they ran some more traps, and dare I say it - unbalanced line? That's what CIN did last year, to the benefit of the resurrected Cedric Benson.

There are ways to help out a weaker OL. Personally, I'd run an unbalanced line right 10 or more times with a quick hand-off or a quick pass to that fellow they plucked #1. An unknown - to me at least, is how fast Spiller is to a hole. All I see is his rah-rah highlight vids, and those vids invariably feature the open-field spiff stuff.

The comments that want him to split out as a wr pains me. As one poster pointed out, he doesn't have the experience when faced with a pro backfield. Nothing wrong with a shot now and then, but keep it at a minimum. You don't work a lot in practice on such.

Says the guy who first tried to reply and it was blank, couldn't figure out how to delete it, and then posted this garbage.

Look at the rest of the replies to your dumb post. Everyone says how dumb you are and that Ralph IS VERY VERY CHEAP. Iv had season tickets for ten years, and I work with people who have had season tickets for 25 years. And they all say that Ralph has to go because he is too cheap. "The Buffalo Bills ranked 12th in the league last year in player salaries including all bonuses paid. We were ranked 25th in total revenue earned in 2008 by Forbes. " So that means that ralph isnt cheap? haha you are the biggest idiot. Obviously your not a bills fan, and obviously you dont know anything about the bills. good play with urself budddddy