I was just thinking that the old school idea of

Miami and Cleveland have both fired their head coaches mid-season.  To bad we didn't jettison GW sooner and maybe we would 7-4 right now instead of of 5 - 6.

Just a thought.

142882[/snapback]

While I was one of those calling for GW's head last year, one year later I realize the firing the HC doesn't accomplish much. Look how long it took for the O-Line to jell this year. GW should have been replaced after the 8-8 year....

Miami and Cleveland have both fired their head coaches mid-season.  To bad we didn't jettison GW sooner and maybe we would 7-4 right now instead of of 5 - 6.

Just a thought.

142882[/snapback]

I think the Cleveland case is not about "firing a coach mid-season" as much as "allowing a former college coach who still has connections that you plan to fire at the end of the season anyway to resign early to try for those jobs, while in doing that favor limiting the amount of 'dead money' that has to be paid to him."

As far as our decision last year, I don't see how replacing the coach mid-season would have made a positive difference on this year, unless you think one of the assistants would have been a better coach than Mularkey? We would not have been able to pick up Mularkey (or any of the assistants he brought with him) before the end of last season....

I think the Cleveland case is not about "firing a coach mid-season" as much as "allowing a former college coach who still has connections that you plan to fire at the end of the season anyway to resign early to try for those jobs, while in doing that favor limiting the amount of 'dead money' that has to be paid to him."

As far as our decision last year, I don't see how replacing the coach mid-season would have made a positive difference on this year, unless you think one of the assistants would have been a better coach than Mularkey?  We would not have been able to pick up Mularkey (or any of the assistants he brought with him) before the end of last season....

142911[/snapback]

This is a theoretical scenerio, but perhaps the interim Head Coach would have got a head start at making some positive moves with OL before this off season moves were made. But it is all theory, who knows?