BP could be investigated for their role in the release

This is an awesome post! Even tops the Obama was shaking down BP nonesense you posted. So, you have personally read the reports--the actual reports!!!--of the energy crisis, and surprise surprise, its all the governments fault for those rolling blackouts that happened back when Enron was in control out there. Bad government!

And you think someone else needs to get a clue? :unsure:

Seems like I put the Midol Generation in a tizzy.

You don't need to like vultures as pets to recognize their value in the ecosystem.

Sorry not to have a soft spot for government regulations that leave the citizens exposed to manipulation by others, and where they have no control. Keep preaching the belief that government is out for your best interests and will protect you. How else do you explain a regulatory environment that exposes the state with the highest energy needs to power manipulation by blocking new plant construction, not allowing utilities to charge more during peak periods or to constrain yourself to only two transmission lines from outside the state, which happen to be controlled by one entity?

Yes, I have read the actual reports. That's how you become informed on a subject.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do WHAT things? That's kind of the whole crux of this ridiculous argument you're having: you haven't bothered to define what is, is not, and should or shouldn't be illegal. You're making a HUGE jump to assuming that everything Ernon did w/r/t California's electricity grid was illegal based on the convictions of a handful of traders on charges you don't even know (they could have simply been convicted of falsifying their own trading records, for example).

And there is a regulatory structure in place; no one's arguing for complete deregulation (at least, no one with half a brain). I am willing to grant, however, that the regulations w/r/t Enron's energy trading markets were weak as hell, since Enron invented the market and wouldn't share any info on it because it was a "proprietary trade secret".

And there we can agree. I'm saying that Enron was the biggest catalyst in that scandal. If the things they did do weren't illegal at the time some of them are now.

And there we can agree. I'm saying that Enron was the biggest catalyst in that scandal. If the things they did do weren't illegal at the time some of them are now.

They most likely were (though there's something to be said for the moratorium on new plant construction CA put in place during a period of rapidly growing energy consumption). They exploited a fundamental flaw in the interstate electricity markets created by CA's bogus attempt at partial deregulation to sell CA's own electricity back to the state at an exorbitant markup. But I don't blame Enron for that as much as CA's stupidity - again, like GG said, Enron took advantage of the inefficient market CA created, as was their job.

(Point of note, too: I have - and had, twelve years ago, after I read one of their annual reports - an extremely high level of disgust for Enron's practices as a whole, including their energy pricing practices during the CA electricity shortages. My disgust simply doesn't translate to blaming them for CA's stupidity.)

They most likely were (though there's something to be said for the moratorium on new plant construction CA put in place during a period of rapidly growing energy consumption). They exploited a fundamental flaw in the interstate electricity markets created by CA's bogus attempt at partial deregulation to sell CA's own electricity back to the state at an exorbitant markup. But I don't blame Enron for that as much as CA's stupidity - again, like GG said, Enron took advantage of the inefficient market CA created, as was their job.

(Point of note, too: I have - and had, twelve years ago, after I read one of their annual reports - an extremely high level of disgust for Enron's practices as a whole, including their energy pricing practices during the CA electricity shortages. My disgust simply doesn't translate to blaming them for CA's stupidity.)

My wife worked for a big law firm in LA during the crisis. They had a big meeting on a Saturday which was unusual for them. I will not tell you who the client was but Gray Davis was there. I asked what they were meeting for and she told me "I can't tell you" and she never has. Yup the state of CA was very much involved in that whole mess.

But, but the evil traders were making fun of Grandma

Link

BP has called it a matter of public record that, in late 2007, it expressed concern to the British government about the slow progress of a prisoner transfer agreement that Britain was negotiating with Libya.

"We were aware that this could have a negative impact on U.K. commercial interests, including the ratification by the Libyan government of BP's exploration agreement," BP has said.

BP was not, however, involved in any talks with either the British or Scottish governments about al Megrahi's release specifically, the company has said.

Shifting gears for a second, does anyone know why they're not connecting the "cap" to a pipeline to harvest oil? Especially if they're worried about it bursting under the pressure? Seems like the U.S. could tell BP "it's ours and the money will be used for reparations."

Shifting gears for a second, does anyone know why they're not connecting the "cap" to a pipeline to harvest oil? Especially if they're worried about it bursting under the pressure? Seems like the U.S. could tell BP "it's ours and the money will be used for reparations."

Two step process. The cap is doing what it's supposed to do - cap the blowed out well. In the meantime, they've been working on a relief pipe that will tap the well at another spot sometime late this month/early August to begin collecting the oil.

Two step process. The cap is doing what it's supposed to do - cap the blowed out well. In the meantime, they've been working on a relief pipe that will tap the well at another spot sometime late this month/early August to begin collecting the oil.

The relief well(s) is actually supposed to (I believe the term still is) "top kill" the blown-out well. At first I thought like you did: that it was supposed to be an alternate and stable route for the oil. But they're going to use it/them to stop the flow of oil completely.

The relief well(s) is actually supposed to (I believe the term still is) "top kill" the blown-out well. At first I thought like you did: that it was supposed to be an alternate and stable route for the oil. But they're going to use it/them to stop the flow of oil completely.

Pretty sure you have the right answer there. Keep in mind that they were planning on capping the well for later use originally.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100718/ap_on_..._20100616040965

Initially, BP and the government said it was possible the cap could shut in the oil until relief wells were completed and heavy cement and mud is blasted in to plug the bandaged wellbore permanently.

But instead, the cap is to be hooked up through nearly a mile of pipes stretching to ships on the surface that will collect the oil, according to retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the government's point man on the crisis.

Finally, some intelligent thinking! The well has tons of oil which can be harvested and sold to help pay for reparations, and connecting it to pipes reduces the pressure and threat of a blowout(s).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100718/ap_on_..._20100616040965

Finally, some intelligent thinking! The well has tons of oil which can be harvested and sold to help pay for reparations, and connecting it to pipes reduces the pressure and threat of a blowout(s).

Exactly!

"...But oil after causing all this trouble, while you're rambling, you can do some work for me."

• 2 weeks later...

As good a place as any to put this...

Just heard on the radio an excerpt from some address Obama gave today, where he congratulated the entire federal government for their hard work and dedication in plugging the well in the Gulf.

Seriously? Seriously??? :unsure:

Just heard on the radio an excerpt from some address Obama gave today, where he congratulated the entire federal government for their hard work and dedication in plugging the well in the Gulf.

And on the seventh day, he rested.

I heard an administration drone interviewed late last week actually say the fact that 75% of the oil is gone is testament to the speed with which the WH attacked the problem.

And here I thought you couldn't get more stupid than Obama and Biden taking credit for victory in Iraq.

I heard an administration drone interviewed late last week actually say the fact that 75% of the oil is gone is testament to the speed with which the WH attacked the problem.

And here I thought you couldn't get more stupid than Obama and Biden taking credit for victory in Iraq.

That can only be described as connerish. :unsure: