BP could be investigated for their role in the release

Link

BP may face probe over bomber's release

By Jesse Solomon, CNN

July 13, 2010 6:15 a.m. EDT

...BP, which plans to begin offshore drilling in Libya in the coming months, touted the 2007 oil agreement as "the single biggest exploration financial commitment an international energy company has ever made to Libya," according to the company's website.

The troubled oil giant stands to earn as much as $20 billion from the deal, according to Lautenberg.

Megrahi, who only served eight years of his life sentence for the bombing, was released by a Scottish court on "compassionate" grounds, citing a doctor's opinion at the time that he was dying from prostate cancer and had only three months to live.

In a letter to the British government last week, Lautenberg was joined by Democratic Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand and Charles Schumer of New York and Bob Menendez of New Jersey in calling the validity of such a prognosis into question.

"Mr. Al Megrahi is still alive and reportedly living in luxury," the letter said. "The doctor responsible for the key medical opinion has told the media that not only could Mr. Al Megrahi live another 10 years, but that the Libyan government had commissioned the doctor to make his assessment."

In response, the British Embassy in Washington posted a letter on its website from the British ambassador to Gillibrand on defending Megrahi's release.

"The decision to grant Mr. Megrahi's compassionate release was made on the basis of advice from the Director of Health at the Scottish Prison Service, who drew on the advice of a number of medical experts," the ambassador said...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this story about a year old? Megrahi was released by Scotland, not BP.

Toyota must be so thrilled to have a new corporate evil doer in the crosshairs for idiots to jump on for any conceivable reason.

Isn't this story about a year old? Megrahi was released by Scotland, not BP.

Toyota must be so thrilled to have a new corporate evil doer in the crosshairs for idiots to jump on for any conceivable reason.

Did you even bother to read the article before posting? It's possible BP lobbied hard to have him released. Who knows what that lobbying included.

Did you even bother to read the article before posting? It's possible BP lobbied hard to have him released. Who knows what that lobbying included.

And OMG, the government officials who structured the deal and authorized his release him must have been powerless to resist BP!!!!1111

Ain't that the damn truth.

Now that it appears the gushing oil has been stopped, health care is passed, financial regulation reform is about to be approved and corporate profits have increased 65% in the last two years, I can't help but wonder...who's the next evil doer to get demonized? There must be someone or some company doing bad things that need to be regulated.

Anyone care to take a stab at who's next?

Ain't that the damn truth.

Now that it appears the gushing oil has been stopped, health care is passed, financial regulation reform is about to be approved and corporate profits have increased 65% in the last two years, I can't help but wonder...who's the next evil doer to get demonized? There must be someone or some company doing bad things that need to be regulated.

Anyone care to take a stab at who's next?

No, BP is still the flavor of the day.

No, BP is still the flavor of the day.

Just incredible. I'm sure Steely Dan and conner are outraged.

BP's ride may have crested, but there's no question they'll be the whipping boy for a while longer. Still, I like Mock's idea; we should start the pool now to guess the next evil doer company (due to arrive sometime in early 2011).

I'll toss out my guess now: GE. It's not based on anything, but they sure make a lot of money so they must be doing something evil.

Ya know, this BP thing has really highlighted for me just how anti-business our government has become -- and it goes way beyond Obama. The Brits have bent over backward to support their biggest and most successful company, even in the face of a f--- up of gigantic proportions. Contrast that with how American politicians, media, etc. treat Exxon or Microsoft for doing nothing but being successful. It's embarrassing.

BP's ride may have crested, but there's no question they'll be the whipping boy for a while longer. Still, I like Mock's idea; we should start the pool now to guess the next evil doer company (due to arrive sometime in early 2011).

I'll toss out my guess now: GE. It's not based on anything, but they sure make a lot of money so they must be doing something evil.

Ya know, this BP thing has really highlighted for me just how anti-business our government has become -- and it goes way beyond Obama. The Brits have bent over backward to support their biggest and most successful company, even in the face of a f--- up of gigantic proportions. Contrast that with how American politicians, media, etc. treat Exxon or Microsoft for doing nothing but being successful. It's embarrassing.

And not to mention that the mainstream media will do 24/7 coverage ripping BP while still ignoring stories like the Black Panther voter intimidation case.

My first reaction was "no way in hell," because Obama and Immelt are tighter than two fingers up a pig's nose. Obama and Immelt need each other for Cap-n-Trade.

But then I realized that you're probably nuts-on accurate. Obama spent months demonizing health insurance companies...those big, bad evil people choosing who will live and die while they stack billions of gold coins in dark, dank holes. Presto-magico, health care passes and now you must, by law, purchase health insurance from who? Yes, those big, bad insurance companies.

And suddenly it's not a stretch to imagine Obama telling Immelt, "Look, you're the new bad guy and I have to make you look really evil so I can pass cap-n-trade, but when we do, you'll make billions. So are you willing to spend a few months being demonized in exchange for billions in profits?"

I don't know if he can afford to continue with his "anti-business" rhetoric any longer. Jobs aren't growing at the rate that they had HOPED for. The public and media are catching on to this anti-business theme, and they have elections to look forward to. If I had to make a guess, I would say the Oil industry, not that it's a stretch or anything, but they still have the Cap and Trade battle, even though I don't believe many of the Democrats have the stomach for such a battle.

And OMG, the government officials who structured the deal and authorized his release him must have been powerless to resist BP!!!!1111

Are you really that naive? You don't think BP could have pressured people in government saying that they are on the verge of a huge contract with Libya and part of the deal is that they need to get that dude back to Libya? Yeah, governments never glad hand business'. :thumbsup:

Seriously, you can't believe that graft doesn't occur in government, can you? IIRC, you were outraged that this guy was being sent back to Libya when you thought he had three months to live. Well now we find out he'll probably live ten more years at least and live in the lapth of luxury, but because a business may have greased the wheels for this suddenly it becomes perfectly OK. Whatever dude. Keep treating the rich and powerful like royalty and things like this will happen more and more and you'll bleat the conservative line that business' can do no wrong while getting repeatedly boned. I won't bend over and get it in the posterior. Evidently you live for it. JMO

Yeah, Obama expects BP to pay for the cleanup and pay back all of the people who are losing money on the deal. I suppose you'd be happier if the government paid for it all. According to people who survived on the rig there were a lot of bad decisions made due to losing money. Somehow, you take that to be the Obama administrations fault. :nana:

You also seem to believe that business' should be able to run roughshod over their competition by creating a monopoly. If that's true then you are not a free enterprise supporter. JMO

I also noticed LA that you totally ignored my question (in another thread) about how you feel about you and your family being ripped off by Enron in a conspiracy to raise your electrical rates. I'm assuming your glad to line their pockets at your families expense. :nana:

I also noticed LA that you totally ignored my question (in another thread) about how you feel about you and your family being ripped off by Enron in a conspiracy to raise your electrical rates. I'm assuming your glad to line their pockets at your families expense. :thumbsup:

What the hell are you talking about? When did you pose your Enron question? Was it before or after your Haliburton question?

I know certain downtown investments banks that love the fact that they are not the face of corporate evil anymore.

What the hell are you talking about? When did you pose your Enron question? Was it before or after your Haliburton question?

Well if you didn't see it then, you see it now. So how do you feel about being ripped off by a conspiracy of Enron and it's power companies?

LA, You are being really naive if you think Jindal's comments were made without hearing from the oil companies first. BTW, how do you feel about what the guys at Enron did to your utility bills?

Question authority people, question authority.

Snipped for brevity.

Do ya see it now?

I think he's having trouble separating reality from fantasy now. But we'll humor him. Always a hoot when Steely wanders over to PPP.

I also noticed LA that you totally ignored my question (in another thread) about how you feel about you and your family being ripped off by Enron in a conspiracy to raise your electrical rates. I'm assuming your glad to line their pockets at your families expense.

First, please explain how exactly Enron 'ripped my family off'?

Second, what kind of stupid f---ing question is that? Where have I (or LA) ever advocated for not prosecuting white collar crimes to the fullest extent? In fact, while dopes like you were obsessing over Ken Lay because the media told you to, I recall being one of the people here pointing out that Skilling and Fastow appeared to be the true architects of the scheme and advocating for the harshest of punishments.

My job is more difficult because when this kind of crap happens, Congress overreacts to appease morons like you and we end up with Sarbanes–Oxley type rules and paranoid auditors who insist on dotting every i and crossing every t.