White House: "We are not anti-business"

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news for Libertarians:

Since employment bottomed out in February, New York securities firms have added nearly 2,000 jobs, a trend that is also playing out nationwide at financial companies, commodity contract traders and investment firms.

:thumbsup: There goes that completely fabricated "anti-business" propaganda circulated by the human excrement eaters. Oh well.

I know that you're new here, so here's a hint. Don't throw out random numbers that you don't understand, as a basis for your argument.

By many accounts Wall Street & related industries employ about 500K people in the NY area. In the downturn about 10% of those jobs were lost. So tell me how that 2K gets us back to even?

I'd love to read your Krugman math on this.

NFIB small business drops:

chief economist of the National Federation of Independent Business William Dunkelberg says it best: "The U.S. economy faces hurricane force headwinds and the government is at the center of the storm, making an economic recovery very difficult."

"The Index has been below 93 every month since January 2008 (30 months), and below 90 for 23 of those months, all readings typical of a weak or recession-mired economy. Seventy percent of the decline this month resulted from deterioration in the outlook for business conditions and expected real sales gains. Owners have no confidence that economic policies will fix the economy."

"Owners do not trust the economic policies in place or proposed, and they are distressed by global and national developments that make the future more uncertain," said Dunkelberg.

"In past recovery periods, compensation improved at a much faster pace than we have experienced in this recovery period," said Dunkelberg.

"The small business sector is not on a positive trajectory and with this half of the private sector missing-in-action, the economy's poor growth performance is no surprise," said Dunkelberg. "Small business owners are not happy about the future of the economy being painted by the administration or economic events. Confidence is lacking and the news out of Washington is discouraging. Until this changes, don't expect small businesses to start hiring."

*The survey was conducted through June 30 and represents 805 small business owner respondents.

NFIB small business drops:

American businesses have no greater friend than the Obama administration. They're sitting on billions of dollars in profits. Corporate profits are up 65% in the past two years. The DOW is over 10,000. Those are the facts that matter. Everything else is just fodder.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Oh, and if you're still not convinced, let's help free up $30B in loans.

See? We love businesses! :bag:

American businesses have no greater friend than the Obama administration. They're sitting on billions of dollars in profits. Corporate profits are up 65% in the past two years. The DOW is over 10,000. Those are the facts that matter. Everything else is just fodder.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Oh, and if you're still not convinced, let's help free up $30B in loans.

See? We love businesses! :blink:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0071404848.html

The fragile detente between the White House and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce appears to have crumbled.

Relations have soured so much, the White House says, that the chamber rejected its request for a speaking slot for senior adviser Valerie Jarrett at the chamber's job-promotion conference Wednesday.

"We would have loved to have gone and participated," Jarrett told Bloomberg News on Wednesday morning. "We were not invited. In fact, we were told not to come."

Chamber officials tell the story differently. A senior executive at the business group says Jarrett's office called Tuesday afternoon and demanded a speaking slot immediately after remarks from chamber chief executive Tom Donohue.

"Our answer to that was 'no, thank you,' " said chamber Senior Vice President Tom Collamore. "We're happy to have ongoing dialogue. We embrace it. . . . But I'm a little disappointed that their major reaction today is to be complaining about not being able to be shoehorned into the schedule at the last minute."

The spat between the White House and the nation's most well-known business group is the latest since the chamber assumed a highly adversarial approach to the Obama administration's policies months after he took office.

Wednesday's back-and-forth played out even as chamber officials offered a series of rhetorical broadsides against the administration, with the group's chairman saying the president and his allies in Congress are responsible for a "general attack on our free enterprise system."

In an open letter, the group accused the Obama administration of not making job creation a priority: "Instead of continuing their partnership with the business community and embracing proven ideas for job creation, they vilified industries while embarking on an ill-advised course of government expansion, major tax increases, massive deficits, and job-destroying regulations."

Here's the thin skinned part that we always talk about

That prompted an immediate response from Jarrett and Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, who wrote in a letter that they were "surprised and disappointed at the rhetoric we have heard from some in the business community -- rhetoric that fails to acknowledge the important steps this Administration has taken every single day to meet our shared objectives."

And as you adeptly alluded to earlier LA Billz, regarding their desire to appear that they are taking care of whatever criticism they are receiving.

White House officials choreographed a competing set of images for President Obama on Wednesday, having him meet separately with famed investor Warren Buffett and, later, with Bill Clinton and a group of business executives.

If many businesses are shying away from hiring due to a lack of confidence that is caused by uncertainty and new government policies, then you have a problem. Consumer and business owner confidence are huge contributors to the economic climate and the White House would be wise to address that. Saying "we're not anti-business" is weak at best.

Good news folks, this administration is competent when it comes to making sound business decisions.

The Obama administration’s request that General Motors Co. and Chrysler Group LLC accelerate the closing of U.S. dealerships probably was unnecessary and may have added to unemployment, a government watchdog said today.

The U.S. “should have at least considered” whether the benefits of speeding up the closings outweighed costs from a potential loss of tens of thousands of jobs, according to the report by Neil Barofsky, special inspector general for the Troubled Asset Relief Program. The Treasury Department rejected the automakers’ reorganization plans in March 2009, in part citing a “slow pace” for GM to scale back its dealer network.

“Such dramatic and accelerated dealership closings may not have been necessary and underscores the need for Treasury to tread very carefully when considering such decisions in the future,” Barofsky concluded.

The Treasury Department, which has committed $80.7 billion to the two carmakers under the TARP program, criticized the report and said without the government assistance both companies faced failure and possible liquidation.

“This sobering report should serve as a wake-up call as to the implications of politically orchestrated bailouts and how putting decisions about private enterprise in the hands of political appointees and bureaucrats can lead to costly and unintended consequences,” said Representative Darrell Issa, a California Republican and ranking member on the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

The inspector general’s audit was requested by lawmakers including Senator Jay Rockefeller, a West Virginia Democrat, who sought to determine whether the automakers “followed a fair, consistent and appropriately documented process” in selecting dealerships, Barofsky said in a memorandum announcing the audit July 30, 2009.

“There is substantial confusion, even among dealers themselves, as to how GM and Chrysler selected dealerships for termination,” Rockefeller, chairman of the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, said in the letter to Barofsky.

Idiots :)

Good news folks, this administration is competent when it comes to making sound business decisions.

Idiots :)

In GM's case, if the government was going to get an equity stake in the post-bankruptcy company which they intended to sell to recoup the bailout money...then I'd have to say they acted resonably responsibly in forcing the accellerated dealership closures to maximize the short-terrm worth of their investment and recoup their money that much more quickly. Sure, it increased unemployment...but life's full of ****ty trade-offs.

If many businesses are shying away from hiring due to a lack of confidence that is caused by uncertainty and new government policies, then you have a problem. Consumer and business owner confidence are huge contributors to the economic climate and the White House would be wise to address that. Saying "we're not anti-business" is weak at best.

We're down about 10% in FT staff over the past 18 months (after our layoffs). We're simply not replacing people when they leave or get fired and making do with fewer staff.

From what I see, the investment community has little faith in this 'recovery'.

“We’re being held back by a shortage of capital in the banking system; that’s nothing about monetary policy,” said John Ryding, co-founder and chief economist of RDQ Economics LLC in New York and a former Fed economist. The economy is also “held back by uncertainty over the regulatory and tax outlook for next year. Monetary policy can’t do anything about that.”

That was a good read, and thank you.

But the Top 5 percent in income earners — those households earning $210,000 or more — account for about one-third of consumer outlays, including spending on goods and services, interest payments on consumer debt and cash gifts, according to an analysis of Federal Reserve data by Moody’s Analytics.

Part of my job is to provide macro forecastes for my clients. This is something that will weigh into those projections which I hadn't calculated earlier.

Considering the retail "recovery" was largely due to the most affluent (which this partially confirms according to the Federal Reserve's data), and there is a very good chance that stocks will be rangebound for quite some time and the possibility of the expiration of the Bush Tax cuts, this will certainly serve as a drag on the US economy.

The Fed is forecasting %3 GDP growth for the year, I would put that number closer to 2%. Consumers and markets usually move in anticipation of things to come. There is alot of uncertainty out there, if the private sector doesn't start producing at least 150,000 jobs a month on a consistent basis sometime within the next 6 months, then first half of 2011 is going to look awfully bleak and I wouldn't be surprised to see the market leg down.

It's all about the jobs baby.

This guy isn't buying any of Obama's lies!

A

California man, whose mother said he was upset about Congress' "left-wing agenda," allegedly opened fire on police officers during a traffic stop in Oakland early Sunday morning.

When local reporters called the truck's registrant, Janice Williams, she realized her truck, and her guns, were gone.

Williams told the San Francisco Chronicle that Byron, her 45-year-old son, was upset by "the way Congress was railroading through all these left-wing agenda items."

"He hasn't been able to get a job because he's an ex-felon and nobody will hire him," she said, adding that he was angry about his unemployment and about "what's happening to our country."

"I have no doubt it is him," Williams said. "He's been upset with the direction the country is going. ... He feels the people of this country are being raped by our government and politicians."

Janice Williams said she kept the guns, which were locked in safe, because "eventually, I think we're going to be caught up in a revolution." She also told the Chronicle that she had warned Byron that "he didn't have to be on the front lines."

She told California Beat that "he had a lot of angst with the politicians, both those running California and those running the country."

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/...c.php?ref=fpblg

That was a good read, and thank you.

Part of my job is to provide macro forecastes for my clients. This is something that will weigh into those projections which I hadn't calculated earlier.

Considering the retail "recovery" was largely due to the most affluent (which this partially confirms according to the Federal Reserve's data), and there is a very good chance that stocks will be rangebound for quite some time and the possibility of the expiration of the Bush Tax cuts, this will certainly serve as a drag on the US economy.

The Fed is forecasting %3 GDP growth for the year, I would put that number closer to 2%. Consumers and markets usually move in anticipation of things to come. There is alot of uncertainty out there, if the private sector doesn't start producing at least 150,000 jobs a month on a consistent basis sometime within the next 6 months, then first half of 2011 is going to look awfully bleak and I wouldn't be surprised to see the market leg down.

It's all about the jobs baby.

;)

I know that you're new here, so here's a hint. Don't throw out random numbers that you don't understand, as a basis for your argument.

By many accounts Wall Street & related industries employ about 500K people in the NY area. In the downturn about 10% of those jobs were lost. So tell me how that 2K gets us back to even?

I'd love to read your Krugman math on this.

You are an idiot. Do you understand that to get to 10 you need to get to five first? Oh, that's right, you also think Obama stole money from BP ;)

And by "anti-business" are you actually implying he is trying to destroy the business community?

Not intentionally, but his lifetime spent sucking a gov't tit has left him without any understanding or appreciation of how and why jobs and economic prosperity are created, and that combined with arrogance results in him making decision that are harmful to the business community.

No surprise that his most devout worshipers on this board (you, connor, Steely Dope) are also people with no understanding whatsoever of the business world.

This guy isn't buying any of Obama's lies! http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/...c.php?ref=fpblg

Interesting story. Oddly enough, if you replace "upset about left-wing agenda" with "upset he's not getting tenure" and replace "shootout with police" with "murdered university faculty at point blank range," it's like deja vu all over again. ;)