Lib tolerance on display

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking that this type of disgusting hate-speech is somehow related to liberalism is entirely misguided. I'd estimate that there are an equal percentage of hateful fanatics on both sides of the aisle.

I'm afraid your estimate is misguided. If you don't believe me peruse some conservative sites like townhall.com or heritagefoundation.com, then listen to some conservative hosts like Glenn Beck or Rush. Then check out the Daily Kos and Huffington Post washed down with a good helping of Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow and see if you still feel that way.

Thinking that this type of disgusting hate-speech is somehow related to liberalism is entirely misguided. I'd estimate that there are an equal percentage of hateful fanatics on both sides of the aisle.

I tend to agree with you. More than anything, it's just a reflection of a people in general. I am positive that the ratio of "good" and "bad" people are virtually equal in both parties, the difference is that the liberals believe they have ownership of being the party of the compassionate and do-gooders.

I tend to agree with you. More than anything, it's just a reflection of a people in general. I am positive that the ratio of "good" and "bad" people are virtually equal in both parties, the difference is that the liberals believe they have ownership of being the party of the compassionate and do-gooders.

What about the conservative alignment with all things "faith," "values," and "family?"

I disagree with you here. It is my impression that liberals are generally convinced that they are the ones always taking the high road. They therefore feel that they have the right to insist that everyone else follow their lead. That's why they feel that laws must be made in order to force their beliefs on everyone else. They are so convinced that they are right that high passion enters into it and you get rantings like "Bush lied and people died", or "General Betray-us". Conservatives on the other hand tend to be more pragmatic and realistic. They inherently know things like you can't borrow yourself out of debt and extended unemployment benefits tend to well, extend unemployment. We are not as outwardly passionate until we see things like what is going on in this country today. Then we speak up loudly, ie the Tea Party. Anyway, if a liberal is a vegitarian he doesn't eat meat and insists that everyone else follows his lead. If a conservative is a vegitarian he doesn't eat meat. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that what I have stated here is absolutely the case, but I am saying that I believe it to be generally true.

Very good example. The right believes they have ownership of these values as well. Hypocrisy

I think it all comes down to something you and I'd agree upon (gasp), and that is the foolishness of tossing all eggs in one basket or another, then flaming someone else for making the opposite, though equally misguided choice.

I don't bother much around here anymore because the incessant "all liberals do this," "all liberals think that," it's just locked-in closed-mindedness that leaves little to no room for constructive conversation.

I don't mean to single out the liberal bashers, they just happen to outnumber the conservative bashers round these parts. I do, however, frequently engage my liberal dem friends (in person, can you imagine?) for sharing the same brand of ire based solely upon which side of the aisle the seat resides. Silly.

I disagree with you here. It is my impression that liberals are generally convinced that they are the ones always taking the high road. They therefore feel that they have the right to insist that everyone else follow their lead. That's why they feel that laws must be made in order to force their beliefs on everyone else. They are so convinced that they are right that high passion enters into it and you get rantings like "Bush lied and people died", or "General Betray-us". Conservatives on the other hand tend to be more pragmatic and realistic. They inherently know things like you can't borrow yourself out of debt and extended unemployment benefits tend to well, extend unemployment. We are not as outwardly passionate until we see things like what is going on in this country today. Then we speak up loudly, ie the Tea Party. Anyway, if a liberal is a vegitarian he doesn't eat meat and insists that everyone else follows his lead. If a conservative is a vegitarian he doesn't eat meat. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that what I have stated here is absolutely the case, but I am saying that I believe it to be generally true.

You're generalizing way too strongly. Not every liberal is a smug prick who brags about reducing his carbon footprint, just like not every conservative is a back-country idiot who thinks the Earth was created 5,000 years ago.

Now, there's not a very good way to test for which side is inherently more rational, but I personally know just as many irrational conservatives as I do irrational liberals. Stupidity and ignorance don't follow any sort of political bend.

So, what category to you place conservatives that believe gay marriage is immoral; therefore, they pass laws banning gay marriage? Or conservatives that believe abortion is immorale; therefore, they want to ban all abortions? Or conservatives that thing drinking is bad; therefore, liquor stores are closed on Sunday? Or... you get the point. So you don't think there are plenty of examples of far right conservatives that feel laws must be made in order to force their beliefs on everyone else?

I think the cogent point that's been presented here is that there are nuts on both the liberal and conservative sides of the coin. And, I'll add, for anyone to argue that their side of the coin is more rational or more tolerant than the other is ignoring all the nuts standing behind them.

You're generalizing way too strongly. Not every liberal is a smug prick who brags about reducing his carbon footprint, just like not every conservative is a back-country idiot who thinks the Earth was created 5,000 years ago.

Now, there's not a very good way to test for which side is inherently more rational, but I personally know just as many irrational conservatives as I do irrational liberals. Stupidity and ignorance don't follow any sort of political bend.

I said I "generally" believe that. BTW, do you have an actual count of how many irrational conservatives and liberals you personally know?

I don't bother much around here anymore because the incessant "all liberals do this," "all liberals think that," it's just locked-in closed-mindedness that leaves little to no room for me to go "all right wingers do this" or "all right wingers to that."

FIXED.

The left doesnt own the mantle of hypocrisy. I admit that.

This is such an incorrect statement that I want to like frame it and hang it on my wall or something.

Why don't you frame it along with:

"I am limited in my ability to perform rational thought and analysis..." -- conner

Just to maintain some perspective