What if Chan works his magic...

and one of our QBs becomes a legitimate starter with a strong backup (a la Trent or Brohm in either position... I've more or less given up on Fitz), do we draft a QB provided that a top one is available come our pick round 1 in the next draft? or do we use that pick on another position?

If brohm wins it, then I think we're set for a while. He's a young guy with what seems like a lot of upside, and if the O is like he played in in college like was stated in his interview earlier, I cam see him being here for Chan's foreseeable tenure. In this situation I could see Fitz staying on as a backup which is where he has shown he is at his best.

If Trent wins, however, I could see us getting a 1st or 2nd round QB next year, depending on how the talent falls. If theres a best available QB over an LT in the first round I bet we'd take him, but if the LT is there then it would be at least a 2nd or 3rd round prospect.

But either way, unless our line/WRs step up big this year, I don't see us drafting much other than that next year. If a few players step up into the LT/WR spots, then who knows what would happen next year. Probably a NT or LB would be my guess

I just don't get it "what if Chan works his magic..."

So many of you talk about this guy as if he is the second coming of the great Vince Lombardi. Granted the guy has had moderate success with former QB's and moderate success at the NFL level. I for one really hope he does an outstanding job with our team. Without a doubt he is an improvement over DJ. At the same time, let's take a step back and see what Chan does before we pronnouce him some magical wizard like coach.

If a starter emerges that is pro bowl caliber than we are good for the future. then it's up to management to continue to draft play makers to help support that QB. The Offense needs a play maker or two every year through FA or the draft. Stock the Offensive Line with late round picks and fill in defense as needed.

Chan and Buddy need a year at least to figure out what they have on the roster especially at the QB, Oline, and WR positions. If Hardy, Johnson, or Easley emerge as a solid 2nd receiver i think they are set there. I am not in love with their RT at all. LT is another story. I have hope that Bell or Meredith emerge. A center might be nice or another guard if Wood moves over.

If a starter emerges that is pro bowl caliber than we are good for the future. then it's up to management to continue to draft play makers to help support that QB. The Offense needs a play maker or two every year through FA or the draft. Stock the Offensive Line with late round picks and fill in defense as needed.

Chan and Buddy need a year at least to figure out what they have on the roster especially at the QB, Oline, and WR positions. If Hardy, Johnson, or Easley emerge as a solid 2nd receiver i think they are set there. I am not in love with their RT at all. LT is another story. I have hope that Bell or Meredith emerge. A center might be nice or another guard if Wood moves over.

If a starter emerges that is pro bowl caliber than we are good for the future. then it's up to management to continue to draft play makers to help support that QB. The Offense needs a play maker or two every year through FA or the draft. Stock the Offensive Line with late round picks and fill in defense as needed

Pro bowl caliber QB...Not going to happen with our current QB roster.

Stock the Ol with late round picks. You have to be kidding me!

Fill in the defense as needed. LOL

Well, I do agree with the latter part of your post.

and one of our QBs becomes a legitimate starter with a strong backup (a la Trent or Brohm in either position... I've more or less given up on Fitz), do we draft a QB provided that a top one is available come our pick round 1 in the next draft? or do we use that pick on another position?

Chan is good, but I doubt he is good enough to make one of these guys into a legit starter in one year. I hope I'm wrong, but it won't be easy.

But going with your assumption, if we have a legit starter on the team, no way we draft a first-round QB. I can't even imagine it. QBs need confidence. Drafting a high-rounder would torpedo the starter.

I don't see where the proof is that Gailey is some sort of offensive genius. His last go-round as even an OC was in the weak AFCW. Prior to that, he'd done little with a GT team and before that was OK as MIA OC. How do you maintain a "solid offensive reputation" without having done anything in close to a decade?

I don't see where the proof is that Gailey is some sort of offensive genius. His last go-round as even an OC was in the weak AFCW. Prior to that, he'd done little with a GT team and before that was OK as MIA OC. How do you maintain a "solid offensive reputation" without having done anything in close to a decade?

"Food for Thought"

Maybe that's the reason he was unemployed as a NFL coach prior to us hiring him.

So many of you talk about this guy as if he is the second coming of the great Vince Lombardi. Granted the guy has had moderate success with former QB's and moderate success at the NFL level. I for one really hope he does an outstanding job with our team. Without a doubt he is an improvement over DJ. At the same time, let's take a step back and see what Chan does before we pronnouce him some magical wizard like coach.

Just as there are those who are not willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt and declare that everything and/or everyone "sucks", there are those who believe that there is a chance that a person who has had success in developing players could do so again for the Bills.

Opinions, everyone has 'em and...

Guest dog14787

I'm not so sure about Chan Gailey's prowess when it comes to offenses, but what impresses me about Gailey is his apparent leadership abilities. Gailey exudes confidence and in my opinion the men under him will unite, feed off of his confidence and excel as a football team.

Football is not a rocket science and Chan Gailey doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to get our Buffalo Bills football team back on track and headed in the right direction in my opinion.

Whether or not Gailey is an offensive "genius" (I love that term when applied to football; it ain't saying much), isn't the point so much as does he have command of the Xs and Os to the point where he can put his players in position to succeed. His track record in the pros suggests he does. He isn't going to see anything on tape from an opposing D that he hasn't seen before. His college coaching career has no bearing what so ever in the discussion.

Does he have the players to execute the schemes to take advantage of his knowledge? Not until proven otherwise, especially at QB and OL.

That said, I firmly believe that the reason he drafted Spiller above all else is that our divisional rivals all play the 3-4 which have decimated us at the edges by taking advantage of poor down/distance situations and poor OT play to protect those edges. Enter Spiller. Now the fastest player in the division, Spiller is going to command respect from the defensive personnel manning those edges. They must respect his speed to beat them to the outside. Coupled with our new zone blocking scheme and the fact that OLmen won't have to hold blocks as long and it won't be long before teams start backing off from their 8 or 9 in the box. I like our chances against a traditional 7 man front.

Now, NONE of this means anything without AT LEAST adequate play from whomever starts at QB. Without that, we will be right back into those unmanageable down/distance situations and Ds will dictate, Spiller or no Spiller.

I like the idea of Gailey calling the plays. He's got a feel for it.

GO BILLS!!!

"working his magic" was never meant to be taken as a substitute for "genius." I can't recall any current HCs or OCs in the league as deemed geniuses. Everyone seems to highlight his ability to get the most out of his players. Something that really hasn't been done on our team, especially, at QB. If he can do that, regardless of how many wins we get this year, I think it would be a lot easier to determine where our true weak spots really are... pick any of the positions we've discussed since the end of the regular season.

How do you maintain a "solid offensive reputation" without having done anything in close to a decade?

Here all you have to do is get hired as a Bills coach. That gets you through the first 2 - 3 years or so. Then you are on your own.

Whether or not Gailey is an offensive "genius" (I love that term when applied to football; it ain't saying much), isn't the point so much as does he have command of the Xs and Os to the point where he can put his players in position to succeed. His track record in the pros suggests he does. He isn't going to see anything on tape from an opposing D that he hasn't seen before. His college coaching career has no bearing what so ever in the discussion.

Does he have the players to execute the schemes to take advantage of his knowledge? Not until proven otherwise, especially at QB and OL.

That said, I firmly believe that the reason he drafted Spiller above all else is that our divisional rivals all play the 3-4 which have decimated us at the edges by taking advantage of poor down/distance situations and poor OT play to protect those edges. Enter Spiller. Now the fastest player in the division, Spiller is going to command respect from the defensive personnel manning those edges. They must respect his speed to beat them to the outside. Coupled with our new zone blocking scheme and the fact that OLmen won't have to hold blocks as long and it won't be long before teams start backing off from their 8 or 9 in the box. I like our chances against a traditional 7 man front.

Now, NONE of this means anything without AT LEAST adequate play from whomever starts at QB. Without that, we will be right back into those unmanageable down/distance situations and Ds will dictate, Spiller or no Spiller.

I like the idea of Gailey calling the plays. He's got a feel for it.

GO BILLS!!!

Good post. I have a question for you. I have and others have been saying for some time now that opposing defenses are going to "stack the box" and squat on the short passes thus forcing the Bills QB and WR to beat them with long and intermediate passes. I just don't think the Bills will be able to do it. I hope I am wrong. I am sure Gailey and Co. must know this too. What do you think their counter attack is for this?

Open to all to answer...

He is more of a sorcerer than a wizard! know your mages!