Bills were NOT ahead or tied going into the 4th QTR in 14 of 16 games

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so everyone's clear, in 14 of 16 games, the Bills were within one score at some point in the 4th Quarter.

Assuming this is true, then I think it comes full circle and we have to look back at our drafting at the top of the draft.

We have very few game changers, maybe two in Evans and Byrd. Last season Byrd was the only player on the entire roster to actually win us a game. Other teams that make the playoffs have 5+ players that can change the othercome of the game.

When we pass on sure fire studs like Ngata/Orakpo/Mangold/etc for very average to horrible talent (Whitner/Maybin/McCargo) we get left with a team that doesnt have the talent to win close games. We cant stop the run when we are down in the 4th (Ngata). We cant rush the passer and get that drive ending sack when we are up and its 3rd down (Orakpo). We cant run the ball and seal the victory when we are up (Mangold).

Drafting so terribly in the 1st round these past 10 years plays a large role in why we cant win any close games.

Here you go

So here are the real stats;

In 7/16 we were winning entering the 4th quarter.

In 10/16 we were winning or tied entering the 4th quarter.

In 11/16 we were winning, tied, or with 3 entering the 4th quarter.

In 13/16 we were winning, tied, or within 7 entering the 4th quarter.

So basically, we were only out of 3 games by the 4th quarter. Not too shabby.

I think that shows how close the Bills really are to turning this thing around. Reasons for losing I believe were a direct result of bad coaching. Granted players make mistakes, but the coaches have to put them in the best position for winning.

Assuming this is true, then I think it comes full circle and we have to look back at our drafting at the top of the draft.

We have very few game changers, maybe two in Evans and Byrd. Last season Byrd was the only player on the entire roster to actually win us a game. Other teams that make the playoffs have 5+ players that can change the othercome of the game.

When we pass on sure fire studs like Ngata/Orakpo/Mangold/etc for very average to horrible talent (Whitner/Maybin/McCargo) we get left with a team that doesnt have the talent to win close games. We cant stop the run when we are down in the 4th (Ngata). We cant rush the passer and get that drive ending sack when we are up and its 3rd down (Orakpo). We cant run the ball and seal the victory when we are up (Mangold).

Drafting so terribly in the 1st round these past 10 years plays a large role in why we cant win any close games.

5 game changers a team is off. The Colts have Wayne, Manning, and Freeney. The Pats have Brady, Moss, and I guess Welker. The Steelers have Big Ben, Troy P, and maybe Harrison.

Teams aren't as loaded as you think they are.

Thurman, the next time you want to write a post to me, extend both of your thumbs and sit on them, that way we can both be happy.

Wow, you get happy just picturing that, hunh, Hossage?

I'm glad to see that you're facing up to your real nature.

I'll pass, thanks, but if it makes you happier to imagine things like that, who am I to stand in your way.

K-9, I admitted that I was wrong on those two posts from a few months ago.

Still waiting on you. You said that right up to yesterday and the day before, I was saying this stuff. I wasn't. You were dead wrong about that.

I ate crow. Are you going to?

K-9, I admitted that I was wrong on those two posts from a few months ago.

Still waiting on you. You said that right up to yesterday and the day before, I was saying this stuff. I wasn't. You were dead wrong about that.

I ate crow. Are you going to?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?act=findpost&hl=&pid=1896554

I've eaten crow on so many issues over my lifetime I can write a cookbook on how best to prepare the dish. I have no problems admitting I'm wrong about anything, especially about something as trivial as football. I think we're all in good company.

The link above is a post you made on 7/3 where you (again) allude to Gaither's motivational issues not surfacing until the pros, when I and others have long maintained he had a track record since high school and college.

I made the assertion on 7/6 about that post being from "yesterday (7/5) or the day before (7/4)" but I was off by one day. So I admit I was wrong on the time frame by one day. A mere technicality given the ongoing nature of the debate.

I can't admit I was wrong on the substance, however.

GO BILLS!!!

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?act=findpost&hl=&pid=1896554

I've eaten crow on so many issues over my lifetime I can write a cookbook on how best to prepare the dish. I have no problems admitting I'm wrong about anything, especially about something as trivial as football. I think we're all in good company.

The link above is a post you made on 7/3 where you (again) allude to Gaither's motivational issues not surfacing until the pros, when I and others have long maintained he had a track record since high school and college.

I made the assertion on 7/6 about that post being from "yesterday (7/5) or the day before (7/4)" but I was off by one day. So I admit I was wrong on the time frame by one day. A mere technicality given the ongoing nature of the debate.

I can't admit I was wrong on the substance, however.

GO BILLS!!!

Ah, I see. That was my fault for not writing clearly. Here's what I wrote:

"... and the rumors about his work ethic only started in the pros after he didn't show up for OTAs. They're essentially a technique to get him into camp." I think if you take a look again, you'll see that it is very legit to assume that I was talking only about the pros. And that is in fact what I meant. However, I should have re-written that as something like "In the pros, the rumors about his work ethic only started ..." Can't blame you for misunderstanding, however, as I wrote it poorly. I would have put a comma after "pros" if I had meant what you thought, though.

For your info, I certainly didn't mean to refer to college.

I do find college stuff to be totally and completely beside the point after you have a track record in the NFL. I've consistently said it about Gaither, with the exception of those two posts where I was obviously both cranky and misguided, but I've also said it about Brohm, about Hardy, about Stevie Johnson ... probably a few others that I can't remember. That's a long-term point of view of mine.

Ah, I see. That was my fault for not writing clearly. Here's what I wrote:

"... and the rumors about his work ethic only started in the pros after he didn't show up for OTAs. They're essentially a technique to get him into camp." I think if you take a look again, you'll see that it is very legit to assume that I was talking only about the pros. And that is in fact what I meant. However, I should have re-written that as something like "In the pros, the rumors about his work ethic only started ..." Can't blame you for misunderstanding, however, as I wrote it poorly. I would have put a comma after "pros" if I had meant what you thought, though.

For your info, I certainly didn't mean to refer to college.

I do find college stuff to be totally and completely beside the point after you have a track record in the NFL. I've consistently said it about Gaither, with the exception of those two posts where I was obviously both cranky and misguided, but I've also said it about Brohm, about Hardy, about Stevie Johnson ... probably a few others that I can't remember. That's a long-term point of view of mine.

It's all good. We've all been tired, cranky, misguided, etc. Again, we're in good company.

FWIW, I share your view that once a player gets to the pros his college career is in the rear view and has no bearing for the most part. With one notable exception: his maturity. That's always been a red flag for me when it comes to evaluating players. Sometimes we can chalk it up to mere immaturity (we don't know a damn thing about the world at 22) and players can certainly grow up. Seen it dozens of times. Other times, well the same questions that surround that issue for a certain player seem to stay with him.

My hope for Gaither is that he busts his ass making himself the best RT he can be. That will be my biggest assurance that he's turned the corner. I gotta believe he's pissed about his demotion and the fact that it could cost him a lot of money when, assuming the Ravens don't franchise him, he hits FAgency. His reaction will be telling. I need to see it first. That's been my biggest concern regardless of the fact that he would immediately be our best T if we acquired him. Time will tell.

GO BILLS!!!

It's all good. We've all been tired, cranky, misguided, etc. Again, we're in good company.

FWIW, I share your view that once a player gets to the pros his college career is in the rear view and has no bearing for the most part. With one notable exception: his maturity. That's always been a red flag for me when it comes to evaluating players. Sometimes we can chalk it up to mere immaturity (we don't know a damn thing about the world at 22) and players can certainly grow up. Seen it dozens of times. Other times, well the same questions that surround that issue for a certain player seem to stay with him.

My hope for Gaither is that he busts his ass making himself the best RT he can be. That will be my biggest assurance that he's turned the corner. I gotta believe he's pissed about his demotion and the fact that it could cost him a lot of money when, assuming the Ravens don't franchise him, he hits FAgency. His reaction will be telling. I need to see it first. That's been my biggest concern regardless of the fact that he would immediately be our best T if we acquired him. Time will tell.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree that if you see it regularly, so that it's just part of a pattern, then, yeah, it counts.

IMHO, though immaturity is often a young man's problem. Duh. And for me, it's telling that in the pros, Gaither was never once noted for immaturity till he was having a salary fight with the Ravens and not showing up for OTAs. Suddenly he's immature again. I don't buy it. As you say, time will tell. I think we're going to regret not grabbing him unless we can get somebody solid next year or the year after. Unless Wang develops over time, that is.

Meredith is another guy where people often bring up his college record as proof that he can be a good LT. He was an LT in college, the argument goes, and some of the pre-draft evals said he might be able to handle LT, though many said he couldn't. Therefore he'll be a good LT even though he obviously didn't even come close in GB and was picked up as an RT by us. Doesn't make sense.

College doesn't mean squat once you have a track record in the pros. If your track record shows that you're just continuing with your college problems, it's the continuation that matters, the fact that you continue to be immature in the pros. If your track record shows that you're a changed man, again, the college doesn't matter, IMHO.