dick jauron was THE PROBLEM

Looking back over the last four seasons of buffalo bills foootball, its easy for the deft fan to realize that the team on the field didnt match the potential of its parts. Players were underutilized and schemes were easily deciphered by opposing defensive coordinators.

Qbs were taken from cocky rookies to gun-shy patsies, rbs went from thug to 1000 yard rushers back to thug, wrs were ignored largely with the exception of a gigantic pr splash last season (which incicentally didnt work out so great) and an undersized, speedy defense looked small and weak against the run. Combine those factors with the fact that the head coach seemed to have aboslutely no input into playcalling, situational or otherwise, or how or when to throw the replay flag and you end up with a team that is winning about forty percent of the games.

Many players were unable to finish the season due to serious injury, and games were lost largely in the fourth qtr when other teams seemed to have more energy late in the game. Thinking players could go through training camp mostly in shorts and helmets without contact was one of Jaurons biggest mistakes because players werent thouroughly ready for live action football when the time came. Looking at the videos of players this season its apparent to me that they have been hitting the weights more, both donte whitner and trent edwards looked markedly bigger through the shoulders than in the past, and i dont recall a player from the Jauron era actually sweating during and interview post practice (mini camp mind you, not even t-camp) and pretty profusely at that.

I dont have access to the lockerroom so i dont know how players really felt about the last head coach, but from the answers they are giving in response to questions about Gailey, it seems like they are comparing (mentally at least) the inept coaching style of Jauron with the enthusiastic teaching methods of Gailey.

to me Jauron was in a shell, unapproachable and sour, someone who would hear your idea and nod but throw it to the wayside as soon as you left his office, someone set in his ways and inflexible. on the contrary Chan Gailey reminds me of the guy you would call at 3;45 in the morning with a car problem and he would be there in his pajamas ten minutes later, he reminds me of the uncle you can confide in, or the thoughtful boss. He actually really makes me think he is a blend of true feelings and lots of knowledge and quick thinking. i didnt trust Jaurons gut instincts, and i dont think he did either

maybe its wishful thinking but i believe in Chan Gailey and think he will lead the Buffalo Bills to many victories for the next decade or so.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you Schobel's opinion was that everyone in the organization was incompetent, from position coaches to management, that management had divided the coaches in a power struggle against each other, that Jauron was not free to do his job, and that the management had toxic personalities who spread out a lot of blame after each loss in front of the entire coaching staff and team. He felt Jauron was the last guy he would fire, although he was uhappy with him as well. Of course, I am some anonymous internet guy, so take it for what it is worth.

Looking back over the last four seasons of buffalo bills foootball, its easy for the deft fan to realize that the team on the field didnt match the potential of its parts. Players were underutilized and schemes were easily deciphered by opposing defensive coordinators.

Qbs were taken from cocky rookies to gun-shy patsies, rbs went from thug to 1000 yard rushers back to thug, wrs were ignored largely with the exception of a gigantic pr splash last season (which incicentally didnt work out so great) and an undersized, speedy defense looked small and weak against the run. Combine those factors with the fact that the head coach seemed to have aboslutely no input into playcalling, situational or otherwise, or how or when to throw the replay flag and you end up with a team that is winning about forty percent of the games.

Many players were unable to finish the season due to serious injury, and games were lost largely in the fourth qtr when other teams seemed to have more energy late in the game. Thinking players could go through training camp mostly in shorts and helmets without contact was one of Jaurons biggest mistakes because players werent thouroughly ready for live action football when the time came. Looking at the videos of players this season its apparent to me that they have been hitting the weights more, both donte whitner and trent edwards looked markedly bigger through the shoulders than in the past, and i dont recall a player from the Jauron era actually sweating during and interview post practice (mini camp mind you, not even t-camp) and pretty profusely at that.

I dont have access to the lockerroom so i dont know how players really felt about the last head coach, but from the answers they are giving in response to questions about Gailey, it seems like they are comparing (mentally at least) the inept coaching style of Jauron with the enthusiastic teaching methods of Gailey.

to me Jauron was in a shell, unapproachable and sour, someone who would hear your idea and nod but throw it to the wayside as soon as you left his office, someone set in his ways and inflexible. on the contrary Chan Gailey reminds me of the guy you would call at 3;45 in the morning with a car problem and he would be there in his pajamas ten minutes later, he reminds me of the uncle you can confide in, or the thoughtful boss. He actually really makes me think he is a blend of true feelings and lots of knowledge and quick thinking. i didnt trust Jaurons gut instincts, and i dont think he did either

maybe its wishful thinking but i believe in Chan Gailey and think he will lead the Buffalo Bills to many victories for the next decade or so.

Guest dog14787

In my opinion and others have also voiced or posted the same sentiments, it all starts at the top. It takes ownership, FO, General management, the coaching staff from top to bottom and the teams roster from top to bottom, it takes them all coming together and buying in, everyone being on the same page to even have a chance at success in the NFL.

I'm not saying DJ didn't share in the blame for Buffalo's inability to improve from year to year and reach the playoffs. What I'm saying is our Buffalo Bills Football team had allot more problems starting with the GM or lack there of and its a good possibility had we replaced Marv levy with a competent GM, Dick Jauron would have done much better because a competent GM would have replaced Steve Fairchild with a competent OC and not hired from within an offense that was already struggling. A good GM would not have decimated a veteran O-line without a contingency plan.

With all that being said, I'm so happy Chan Gailey/ Nix are here in Buffalo :beer:

He wears no shoeshine he got toe jam football

He got muddy water he one mojo filter

He say " one and one and one is three"

Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease,

Gailey/ Nix : COME TOGETHER... RIGHT NOW... OVER ME!!! (Songwriters: Mccartney, Paul;Lennon, John)

DJ wasn't the whole problem, but he was A problem and arguably, the biggest of them all. He didn't have a whole lot to work with, but he did have them playing pretty decent ball for about 5 or 6 games.

However, when the wheels did start to come off, he wasn't able to do much of anything about it and he ultimately lost the confidence of the players and FO.

DJ wasn't the whole problem, but he was A problem and arguably, the biggest of them all. He didn't have a whole lot to work with, but he did have them playing pretty decent ball for about 5 or 6 games.

However, when the wheels did start to come off, he wasn't able to do much of anything about it and he ultimately lost the confidence of the players and FO.

Second thread in a row....you get a +1.

Chan Gailey reminds me of the guy you would call at 3;45 in the morning with a car problem and he would be there in his pajamas ten minutes later, he reminds me of the uncle you can confide in, or the thoughtful boss. He actually really makes me think he is a blend of true feelings and lots of knowledge and quick thinking. i didnt trust Jaurons gut instincts, and i dont think he did either

I agree with your last line, Lou. But my take on Coach Gailey is quite a bit different than yours.

That the Bills' offense, with guys like TO, Evans, Reed, Parrish, Lynch, Jackson, and Nelson, weren't productive, thanks to a "Pop Warner" offense and cutting their starting LT days before the season started, speaks volumes about Jauron. That was his problem back in his Chicago days and it was hoped that he'd learned something from it. But apparently he didn't, and thus his days as a HC are over.

Yea, I agree Jauron was "A" problem and the fact he didn't have a lot to work with was his fault, and the owners fault for trusting him to do a job he was unqualified for.

It does all start at the top, and as much as Buffalo fans love and respect Ralph Wilson... it might be time for him to relinquish that president job he holds. Clearly it is just a title he holds for namesake and perhaps to take the income that goes with it.

The Ravens, Colts and many other teams have full time working presidents that actually know the difference between a Jauron and someone who knows what they are doing.

Why did it take four years to recognize how bad a head coach Dick Jauron actually was? As bad as his failure to bring in top quality players was... it wasn't his biggest fault. Jauron's biggest failure was to hire experienced NFL assistant coaches, particularly for the offense. But then he might have been afraid he would be hiring his own replacement...

If you look back at some historically bad franchises that have turned things around, like Arizona for example. The owner was Bill Bidwell who used to sit in on every players contract signing he was so hands on. That team made it to the playoffs once in its entire history under the senior Bidwell. Then he retired and let his sons start running the team. The sons took over and they hired the right people to run the front office. The result was not only playoffs but a super bowl appearance.

The Colts under Robert Irsay was another team that was a losing franchise because the owner was constantly meddling into team affairs and making all the wrong decisions about players, coaches. He was the one responsible for John Elway holding out and refusing to play for the Colts.

Then he retires and his son Jim Irsay took over, he was smart enough to understand he needed a top NFL GM to run the team, so he hired Bill Polian, 10 years of playoffs and 2 super bowls.

I'm not convinced the Bills recently hired the right GM and HC mostly because this franchise has historically chosen the wrong people. Everyone jumped on the Donahoe / Williams bandwagon, then the Mularkey bandwagon, then the Marv Levy / Dick Jauron bandwagon.

You guys can keep gushing about what a great hire Chan Gailey is...I can recall reading a 15 page post by someone defending what a great hire Jauron was, and he won the argument.

This franchise is in trouble, and has been since Polian / Butler left. What is truly sad for Bills fans and the team is... it is time for the owner to retire like Robert Irsay and Bill Bidwell did, only this owner has nobody to take over the team for him.

If I'm Ralph Wilson I'd take a long hard look at the teams with the best players-coaches-front office personnel and hire a president from one of those teams, and sit back and let him run the team. It is what Miami did, they hired Bill Parcells, Cleveland just did it with Mike Holmgren. An owner needs to be smart enough to know when to relinquish control to someone smarter then themselves.

Yea, I agree Jauron was "A" problem and the fact he didn't have a lot to work with was his fault, and the owners fault for trusting him to do a job he was unqualified for.

It does all start at the top, and as much as Buffalo fans love and respect Ralph Wilson... it might be time for him to relinquish that president job he holds. Clearly it is just a title he holds for namesake and perhaps to take the income that goes with it.

The Ravens, Colts and many other teams have full time working presidents that actually know the difference between a Jauron and someone who knows what they are doing.

Why did it take four years to recognize how bad a head coach Dick Jauron actually was? As bad as his failure to bring in top quality players was... it wasn't his biggest fault. Jauron's biggest failure was to hire experienced NFL assistant coaches, particularly for the offense. But then he might have been afraid he would be hiring his own replacement...

If you look back at some historically bad franchises that have turned things around, like Arizona for example. The owner was Bill Bidwell who used to sit in on every players contract signing he was so hands on. That team made it to the playoffs once in its entire history under the senior Bidwell. Then he retired and let his sons start running the team. The sons took over and they hired the right people to run the front office. The result was not only playoffs but a super bowl appearance.

The Colts under Robert Irsay was another team that was a losing franchise because the owner was constantly meddling into team affairs and making all the wrong decisions about players, coaches. He was the one responsible for John Elway holding out and refusing to play for the Colts.

Then he retires and his son Jim Irsay took over, he was smart enough to understand he needed a top NFL GM to run the team, so he hired Bill Polian, 10 years of playoffs and 2 super bowls.

I'm not convinced the Bills recently hired the right GM and HC mostly because this franchise has historically chosen the wrong people. Everyone jumped on the Donahoe / Williams bandwagon, then the Mularkey bandwagon, then the Marv Levy / Dick Jauron bandwagon.

You guys can keep gushing about what a great hire Chan Gailey is...I can recall reading a 15 page post by someone defending what a great hire Jauron was, and he won the argument.

This franchise is in trouble, and has been since Polian / Butler left. What is truly sad for Bills fans and the team is... it is time for the owner to retire like Robert Irsay and Bill Bidwell did, only this owner has nobody to take over the team for him.

If I'm Ralph Wilson I'd take a long hard look at the teams with the best players-coaches-front office personnel and hire a president from one of those teams, and sit back and let him run the team. It is what Miami did, they hired Bill Parcells, Cleveland just did it with Mike Holmgren. An owner needs to be smart enough to know when to relinquish control to someone smarter then themselves.

i dont disagree, however unless something miraculous happens and ralph finally gets it, we are stuck with this bunch, led by this front office. i agree that the right thing to do would be to sell the team now, to a group of investors, much like Green bay, but i dont see ralph doing that either, and unless he does the team immediately becomes an unknown entity altogether if and when he ever dies. as far as gailey goes, i gush for these reasons...he inherits a very young team which hasnt tasted success yet, unlike his days in dallas where he got the oldies and coached them at the end. as an offensive minded coach he brings an offensive mind to the head coaching position for the first time since mularkey quit five years ago. also he has lots and lots of talent on the offensive side of the ball to utilize, ooodles of it and hes licking his chops to prove to the league that he has gotten a bad rap, kind of reminds me of thurmans attitude when he was passed over in the first round. hes a football guy, jauron wasnt..thats exciting in iself

i dont disagree, however unless something miraculous happens and ralph finally gets it, we are stuck with this bunch, led by this front office. i agree that the right thing to do would be to sell the team now, to a group of investors, much like Green bay, but i dont see ralph doing that either, and unless he does the team immediately becomes an unknown entity altogether if and when he ever dies. as far as gailey goes, i gush for these reasons...he inherits a very young team which hasnt tasted success yet, unlike his days in dallas where he got the oldies and coached them at the end. as an offensive minded coach he brings an offensive mind to the head coaching position for the first time since mularkey quit five years ago. also he has lots and lots of talent on the offensive side of the ball to utilize, ooodles of it and hes licking his chops to prove to the league that he has gotten a bad rap, kind of reminds me of thurmans attitude when he was passed over in the first round. hes a football guy, jauron wasnt..thats exciting in iself

Jauron wasn't a football guy? What?

And in your OP you said Jauron was a sour guy who'd ignore your ideas, or seemed that way. The players have made it extremely clear that that's not what Jauron was like at all. You're projecting whatever personality traits you feel like onto Jauron.

Not a big Jauron fan, but you got both of these things wrong, IMHO.

Again, Ralph hired Donahoe and it was a move praised by everyone, even ESPN. It didn't work out for whatever reason(s). After feeling betrayed by him, Ralph went back to the Bills' glory days and hired Marv as a figurehead GM. Marv hired Jauron and gave him most of the personnel control. That didn't work because Jauron wasn't great at picking players, wanted simplistic offenses, clung-to a dying defensive scheme, and was a horrible game day coach. So Ralph dug even deeper, went with Nix, who hired Whaley from the Steelers to be the AGM/future GM, and hired a coach who has been a HC before, had success, who knows offense, and is trying to install a popular defense. This after being turned down by all the "name" coaches. We'll see how it turns out.

I can tell you Schobel's opinion was that everyone in the organization was incompetent, from position coaches to management, that management had divided the coaches in a power struggle against each other, that Jauron was not free to do his job, and that the management had toxic personalities who spread out a lot of blame after each loss in front of the entire coaching staff and team. He felt Jauron was the last guy he would fire, although he was uhappy with him as well. Of course, I am some anonymous internet guy, so take it for what it is worth.

Ah yes ... blame the ubiquitous "management". Like who? What are the names of these "managers" that denied Jauron of his power? Brandon? Guy? Levy? Modrak? Just exactly who in management had the power to make Jauron's position coaches go against the man that hired him?

It sure looked to me that Perry Fewell wanted the job after Jauron was fired. Same with Bbby April who clearly stated that. Does that sound like the situation you (or Schobel) describes?

One very good reason why the Bills have been below average for 10 years is the players. We simply have not had very many really good ones. Additionally, there is very little leadership on this team from the players themselves, the players accept losing. If indeed Mr. Schoebel told you that then I would put in at the top of the list of players that did not lead or do enough to turn this thing around. He is in fact the longest member of the decade of losers.

Jauron wasn't a football guy? What?

And in your OP you said Jauron was a sour guy who'd ignore your ideas, or seemed that way. The players have made it extremely clear that that's not what Jauron was like at all. You're projecting whatever personality traits you feel like onto Jauron.

Not a big Jauron fan, but you got both of these things wrong, IMHO.

lol. no i think jauron was an overachiever as a player, much like george wilson is, but didnt have the "it" factor as a coach...i believe he would ignore the ideas of his players and coaches because he fired two offensive coordinators in three years, one on the eve of the season which is indicative to me that he didnt deal well with dissent and opinions of his coaching staff, not trying to speak for him, its my view, my humble opinion, and stated it as such, but thanks for just disagreeing to disagree. :beer:

In my opinion and others have also voiced or posted the same sentiments, it all starts at the top. It takes ownership, FO, General management, the coaching staff from top to bottom and the teams roster from top to bottom, it takes them all coming together, all being on the same page to even have a chance at success.

I'm not saying DJ didn't share in the blame for Buffalo's inability to improve from year to year and reach the playoffs. What I'm saying is our Buffalo Bills Football team had allot more problems starting with the GM or lack there of and its a good possibility had we replaced Marv levy with a competent GM, Dick Jauron would have done much better because a competent GM would have replaced Steve Fairchild with a competent OC and not hired from within an offense that was already struggling. A good GM would not have decimated a veteran O-line without a contingency plan.

With all that being said, I'm so happy Chan Gailey/ Nix are here in Buffalo :beer:

He wears no shoeshine he got toe jam football

He got muddy water he one mojo filter

He say " one and one and one is three"

Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease,

Gailey/ Nix : COME TOGETHER... RIGHT NOW... OVER ME!!! (Songwriters: Mccartney, Paul;Lennon, John)

I'm so happy Chan Gailey/ Nix are here in Buffalo Wondering if you will be saying that after 3 or 4 years?

Another great post. You keep writing and I'll keep reading. IMO, your always "dead on" with your assessments.