Best Buy Employee Maybe Fired Over Video?

Dante

Why the hell is this guys job on the line over this? He doesn't affiliate himself with Best Buy in the vid. Freedom of speech has gone down the crapper I guess. Best viral video ever

http://gizmodo.com/5578758/best-buy-wants-...s-htc-evo-video

While I think Best Buy would be stupid, and wrong, to fire this guy, is it really a "Freedom of Speech" issue? The Gov't isn't involved, there is no law being made, the video wasn't censored or restrained, etc. The video is still available and the creator is talking to the press, telling his story.

The issue here is firing w/o just cause, IMO. Many here seem to think a private company shouldn't have to show cause in order to fire someone.

While I think Best Buy would be stupid, and wrong, to fire this guy, is it really a "Freedom of Speech" issue? The Gov't isn't involved, there is no law being made, the video wasn't censored or restrained, etc. The video is still available and the creator is talking to the press, telling his story.

The issue here is firing w/o just cause, IMO. Many here seem to think a private company shouldn't have to show cause in order to fire someone.

I think it's funny and if Best Buy hadn't made a big deal of it I never would have known it was made by a best buy employee. :beer:

I worked for the ol' Best Buy for 4 years and was a manager for 3 of those years. One of the things that the company goes crazy over is constantly reminding employees not to disparage any product.

The whole policy is flawed since they truly do preach to everyone that you need to be honest and open to the customers who come into the store, but at the same time you can't say anything negative about the products. I always told my staff that if they knew one product would better suit a customer's needs than another product...hell, tell the customer that.

You all have no idea how much flack I took from the regional managers for it.

Totally not surprised by this story.