Driving on a Friday before a Holiday

LewPort71

We came to WNY for the fourth of July weekend.

I guess I am spoiled by the lack of traffic in WV.

Traffic on I-90 to Buffalo was insane.

This all occurred after 2PM.

Waited 25 minutes to clear the Lackawana NYS Thruway toll plaza.

Then waited 30 minutes to get onto the exit for the Grand Island Bridge.

More time to get to the G I Bridge toll plaza.

And finally the merging of 8 lanes into two to cross the

South GI Bridge really was the capper.

From now on, its gonna be Niagara Falls Blvd...I can deal

with all the stop lights.

I need a Molsons ...or two...or three.

People who say traffic is nice around BFLO are nuts. I was just in WNY and the traffic sucked... It is easier to get around where I live in the South Chicagoland/NW Indiana!

We stayed at my sister's on Grand Island... Forget about it! Even without the construction it was bad.

About the bridges... Why the heck are they polishing those turds?

Also... Is the EZ-Pass system in NYS screwed up... How they allocate lanes... Totally adds to worsen the problem!

Dude, never leave the Friday of a long holiday weekend, unless you like traffic. Also do a little research when planning a trip to WNY. This weekend:

1. 4th of July on Sunday

2. Canada day on Thursday

3. Gay pride weekend in Toronto ending on Sunday with a giant parade which attracts millions to the city.

I left on wednesday night to come up to wny to celebrate the 4th with family. No traffic at all...

Thanks Ray.

Next year we'll leave in June for the Fourth of July..HAHA.

Also in the Buffalo paper this AM, there is an article

about the long lines at the Lewiston-Queenston bridge.

There is a construction project on the Canadien

side, upgrading the toll plaza...

People who say traffic is nice around BFLO are nuts. I was just in WNY and the traffic sucked... It is easier to get around where I live in the South Chicagoland/NW Indiana!

We stayed at my sister's on Grand Island... Forget about it! Even without the construction it was bad.

About the bridges... Why the heck are they polishing those turds?

Also... Is the EZ-Pass system in NYS screwed up... How they allocate lanes... Totally adds to worsen the problem!

Pet peeve of mine - state highway authorities that position "EZ-Pass only" lanes to the far right.

Clueless Dorkheads. Faster traffic should always be maintained in the left "passing" lanes.

Of course, if everybody adopts EZ-Pass you could have issues.

Not to mention the difficulties with distracted drivers.

Wouldn't you rather have 2 or 3 beers?

Pet peeve of mine - state highway authorities that position "EZ-Pass only" lanes to the far right.

Clueless Dorkheads. Faster traffic should always be maintained in the left "passing" lanes.

Not to mention the difficulties with distracted drivers.

Exactly! And why hasn't at speed tolling come to New York? They have it in Illinois with I-PASS and EZ-PASS is linked up with I-PASS.

The FastTrak in the SF Bay area lets you go through at about 20 at booths and at a new bridge, there isn't any structure across part of it and FastTrak users can go 40. The Oakland-Bay Bridge (the one that had part collapse back in 1989 and the replacement is currently being constructed) has 15 toll lanes which narrow down to 5 lanes on the bridge. They have metering lights to control the chaos, but they go on at 6:30 AM or so and the traffic can back up at least a half mile or so.

Then the traffic has to slow down on the bridge to 35 because thare is an "S-curve" , put in last year where the new bridge will connect to the tunnels through Yerba Buena Island. There have been many accidents there. A semi went over the side one night. They have rumble strips, dots on the road, large signs with flashing numbers and cops sitting there and still the accidents happen.

Are you seriously complaining about traffic in Western NY? LOL. Try getting on Die-95 anywhere in VA, or I-64 heading to the beaches. Trust me, you'll be begging to go through a toll plaza on the NY state thruway.

Are you seriously complaining about traffic in Western NY? LOL. Try getting on Die-95 anywhere in VA, or I-64 heading to the beaches. Trust me, you'll be begging to go through a toll plaza on the NY state thruway.

I hear ya Lv Bills...Last month we travelled on I-81 north through

Staunton VA ,,and it was a mess....

I guess I am really

spoiled by the lack of traffic in S WV

The problem there is the people that either don't have EZ-Pass and stop in an EZ-Pass lane, run to the booth next to it to get a ticket, or wait for someone to bring them one, or they pull up to the booth, then fumble through their car looking for the EZ-Pass because they haven't put it on the windshield where it should be.

I think the word I am looking for is: "open road tolling." Sure they can get your money easier, but I don't understand why they can't use it in New York? It works wonderful here... Cruise right by at speed and the toll is taken!

Images Open road Tolling

Other states have to have this too??

NY currently has two spots north of NYC like that, with more being talked about.

Spring Valley

Harriman