I need wine advice

How is Red Zin different from White Zin? Just curious because White Zin is pink and like soda pop.

I would enjoy a Malbec from Argentina with red meat, but that is me. :rolleyes:

10 cent explanation - Skins stay in the processing tank longer.

Further to Rockpile's advice, I'd probably go with the Punta Final Riserva Malbec. It's a great deal at about $14-$15 per bottle, and it's certainly as hearty as any Cabernet Sauvignon you're going to find. You won't regret it with a flank steak. Don't get me wrong - you can get some VERY good Malbecs for a few dollars less! But for the sake of a couple of bucks, for the big Fourth of July meal? Go for it.

Unless, of course, you plan to trash your palate with jello shooters around the barbecue, in which case the boxed Franzia Merlot will do fine.

Helpless in the grip of circumstances (i.e. I know squat), I went here:

http://www.junglejims.com/wine/index.asp

Well - over 12,000 dizzying choices... :rolleyes:

So with my palate for wine being similar to that of a toad, I asked a clerk. I said that I have had Cabernet Sauvignon and it was OK. He suggested then, that I give a Merlot a shot.

I purchased a $12.99 bottle made by some winery that operates out of Santa Rosa, California.

Thanks to all that have enlightened me, and I will report back.

stuck

I suggest Ten Mile. It's a 2006 Petite Sirah, Zin, Barbera, and Carignane blend. You can get it for ~ $10-15 a bottle. Good red wine and not a lot a $. I bought a case.

I came to give advice, but got a tip instead. I will have to check this out. Petite Sirah (quite different than Syrah, and much bigger) and Barbera are two of my favorite "under the radar" wines. As has already been mentioned, Zin is a fine red wine, with some real body. This sounds like an interesting blend, to me and at $10, what do I have to lose? I just wonder if I can find it hear in Fla.

So with my palate for wine being similar to that of a toad, I asked a clerk. I said that I have had Cabernet Sauvignon and it was OK. He suggested then, that I give a Merlot a shot.

I purchased a $12.99 bottle made by some winery that operates out of Santa Rosa, California.

Considering you aren't really a fine wine drinker, this was probably a good safe choice for you. Santa Rosa is in Sonoma County. Dunno if the Merlot you bought is labeled "Sonoma" or "California" but if it is from Sonoma grapes, you probably got good value. Merlots are all over the map, when it comes to body, but most are a bit soft these days. Many Somoma wineries still make a heavier bodied Merlot, but they still tend to be fairly easy to drink.

As has been noted, Cabs really are the thing here, but something a little bit softer is probably better for you. Chef's suggestions also would have been good for you, I think, but they are a bit pricey for someone who really isn't "into wine".

Enjoy! Have a great weekend.

I came to give advice, but got a tip instead. I will have to check this out. Petite Sirah (quite different than Syrah, and much bigger) and Barbera are two of my favorite "under the radar" wines. As has already been mentioned, Zin is a fine red wine, with some real body. This sounds like an interesting blend, to me and at $10, what do I have to lose? I just wonder if I can find it hear in Fla.

Considering you aren't really a fine wine drinker, this was probably a good safe choice for you. Santa Rosa is in Sonoma County. Dunno if the Merlot you bought is labeled "Sonoma" or "California" but if it is from Sonoma grapes, you probably got good value. Merlots are all over the map, when it comes to body, but most are a bit soft these days. Many Somoma wineries still make a heavier bodied Merlot, but they still tend to be fairly easy to drink.

As has been noted, Cabs really are the thing here, but something a little bit softer is probably better for you. Chef's suggestions also would have been good for you, I think, but they are a bit pricey for someone who really isn't "into wine".

Enjoy! Have a great weekend.

Not true, there are many southern Rhone variatals that can be had for $15 or less. Right now those are some of the best deals out there.

I am reporting back on merlot.

OK, but it seemed sweeter than cabernet sauvignon. My wife had a glass and I finished the bottle. It doesn't have much of a kick...

I pan-fried the marinated flank steak instead of putting it under the oven broiler. Plunked it onto a hot cast-iron pan, 3 minute sear per side. Turned off the heat and let it cook for 7 minutes, and rest for 5. Sliced it 1/4 inch with an electric knife. It was good.

My favorite style of wine is Shiraz, but a lot of people don't like it. That being said, next time you want to try a couple wins, here's a couple of my favorites (and cheap - 10-15 bucks):

D'Arenberg The Stump Jump Grenache/Shiraz/Mouvedre 2008 (42% Grenache, 36% Shiraz, and 22% Mourvedre): http://www.whwc.com/p/306389?utm_source=Vi...2314_f0704_0116

Casillero del Diablo Reserva Privada (85% Cabernet Sauvignon from Pirque in the Maipo Valley and 15% Syrah from the hillsides of Peumo in the Rapel Valley): http://www.chileanlegend.com/our-wines/reserva-privada/

Too late for your flank steak, but I would run out to Trader Joes on Montgomery and Kenwood and get yourself a bottle or a case of Charles Shaw ("2-buck Chuck" in the California stores, probably 3 bucks in Ohio) cabernet - it's as good (or better) than many wines selling in the $10-$15 range. JMO.

Too late for your flank steak, but I would run out to Trader Joes on Montgomery and Kenwood and get yourself a bottle or a case of Charles Shaw ("2-buck Chuck" in the California stores, probably 3 bucks in Ohio) cabernet - it's as good (or better) than many wines selling in the $10-$15 range. JMO.

$2 Chuck is fairly awful stuff, IMO. Yes, it is better than nothing if you are flat broke, but that's about it.

The other problem is there is little consistency from batch to batch. I actually have had the occasional taste that wasn't bad. The next time I tried it, it sucked. This was true of the white and the red.

Walmart sells wine under the label of Oak Leaf for $2 or $3 that seems to be the same thing (at least same quality) as Charles Shaw.

I suppose, if you try, you can find a wine selling for $15 that is as bad as Charles Shaw. But if you use your head, you can do FAR better than Two Buck Chuck for about $4, at least in California. In Ohio you may have to spend $6.

$2 Chuck is fairly awful stuff, IMO. Yes, it is better than nothing if you are flat broke, but that's about it.

The other problem is there is little consistency from batch to batch. I actually have had the occasional taste that wasn't bad. The next time I tried it, it sucked. This was true of the white and the red.

Walmart sells wine under the label of Oak Leaf for $2 or $3 that seems to be the same thing (at least same quality) as Charles Shaw.

I suppose, if you try, you can find a wine selling for $15 that is as bad as Charles Shaw. But if you use your head, you can do FAR better than Two Buck Chuck for about $4, at least in California. In Ohio you may have to spend $6.

A matter of taste, I guess - though I prefer Screaming Eagle, I find that '2-buck Chuck' goes very well with ketchup.

(See you Thursday???)

A matter of taste, I guess - though I prefer Screaming Eagle, I find that '2-buck Chuck' goes very well with ketchup.

(See you Thursday???)

I will call you when I land on Thursday.

Put a bottle of the Screaming Eagle aside for me, please.