I need wine advice

I am broiling a flank steak for the 4th. My understanding is that a red wine is popularly considered to be the compliment to red meat. Fine with me; I don't care for white - except for Muscatel, which I have always found to have a good, piquant kick for the buck.

I know nothing about wine - I like it, but I do not have any sort of discriminating palette to speak of for it.

I am broiling a flank steak for the 4th. My understanding is that a red wine is popularly considered to be the compliment to red meat. Fine with me; I don't care for white - except for Muscatel, which I have always found to have a good, piquant kick for the buck.

I know nothing about wine - I like it, but I do not have any sort of discriminating palette to speak of for it.

What seasonings are you putting on the Flank steak?

The best wines to go with that and my current favorites would be any of the southern Rhone varietels. So you'd want to look for Syrah, Grenach, Petit Syrah. These are hardy wines that go well with a marinated flank. If you want a true Rhone you can search out a Chateauneuf du Pape which can be expensive but there are some decent ones for +/- $25. Or you can look for a CA wine made with a Syrah grape or a Spanish wine made with the Grenach (they call Garnacha). The Aussies call it Shiraz but it's pretty much the same. But buy a couple a different wines experiment because what you like will not always be what everyone else likes with that dish. That's the fun part.

I know whats up with this. The orthodox advice with beef would be a cabernet. You will want a tannic and smoky flavored one. Other posters have recommended very good varietals, but for a flank steak, 90% of sommeliers are going to recommend the same thing I am.

An affordable option that would be a good match is Casa Lapostalle cabernet. Montes also has the flavor you are looking for. You could do well with some of the more austere california cabernets, but I think they have too much fruit.

St.Urbans-Hof Mosel Riesling

GOOD STUFF!!!!!

except for Muscatel, which I have always found to have a good, piquant kick for the buck.

My personal preference was for Lux, but I found Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness

What seasonings are you putting on the Flank steak?

Scored then marinated in a mix of light olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper, a bit of tumeric, marjoram, paprika, and onion powder, and some $1 generic mild barbecue sauce overnight.

Then wiped off, with some kosher salt for the broil.

Scored then marinated in a mix of light olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper, a bit of tumeric, marjoram, paprika, and onion powder, and some $1 generic mild barbecue sauce overnight.

Then wiped off, with some kosher salt for the broil.

I'd go with a nice Merlot from either Washington State or Napa and Sonoma Valleys

Maybe a Ravenswood.

Happy 4th SIC! :rolleyes:

Happy 4th SIC! :rolleyes:

You and yours, too! :unsure:

My wife already installed a mat under the bed, for one of our cats that considers the neighborhood booming the onset of WWIII. :(

I used to be a big fan of bottle rockets. I fondly remember firing off a volley under the door crack of an outhouse one evening in one of those cobbled-up hunter trailer camps that pepper the territory around the Allegheny Nat'l Forest in NW Pennsylvania. We barred the door so he couldn't escape and he was howling and threatened murder. Booze is booze...

He got his revenge - whacked me square between the shoulder blades with an oar as I was gazing at the river, and I of course pitched forward and fell face first into the bank muck.

Jeeze - the goofy things you do when you were young!

Interesting altered state facts: If you toss glass beer bottles into a long-running campfire, they melt and flow. Fireflies hunker down for the evening, but if you go take a wizz onto the ground, they light up to protest your action. :P

Red Zin would go nice with that steak

How is Red Zin different from White Zin? Just curious because White Zin is pink and like soda pop.

I would enjoy a Malbec from Argentina with red meat, but that is me. :rolleyes: