Chargers shopping Vincent Jackson -AJ playing hardball

http://12thmanrising.com/2010/06/29/seattl...-trading-block/

To this date, I've been all about Chan & Buddy standing firm to build the Bills through the draft. I'm also enamored with the possibilities of our young, untested WR corp.

BUT,

To add 2 Pro Bowlers immediately in 2 areas considered weakness is an intoxicating proposition.

Would you trade high picks & up & comers to nab both these guys?

To this date, I've been all about Chan & Buddy standing firm to build the Bills through the draft. I'm also enamored with the possibilities of our young, untested WR corp.

BUT,

To add 2 Pro Bowlers immediately in 2 areas considered weakness is an intoxicating proposition.

I live here in San Diego and watch the Chargers every week by default. These two guys are the "real deal." I would "love" to have these two guys on our team. If Gailey can develop Edwards or Brohm I think our offense would be scary good.

Make the move Ralph!

I live here in San Diego and watch the Chargers every week by default. These two guys are the "real deal." I would "love" to have these two guys on our team. If Gailey can develop Edwards or Brohm I think our offense would be scary good.

Make the move Ralph!

We're all waiting for Ralph to "make the move". Last time i looked we don't really have much leverage in the trade market for a high caliber probowler in both positions WR or OT. We're screwed until we can fill these positions in the draft unless we put actual draft picks on the trade block.

BUT,

Something in the form of Lynch for Vincent Jackson (and/or whatever combo of picks are necessary to make that "equal") might make me happy. San Diego's backfield isn't exactly intimidating anymore, right?

BUT,

And what do the Bills have that they would want to give up and that the Chargers would want for these guys? Do we mortgage the future and give up our high draft picks to take a chance with two disgruntled veterans? It would be nice to have them on the team, but is it worth the price we would have to pay?

Yes, would love to have Vincent Jackson. Of course, they could have had him already if they didn't pass on him for Roscoe Parrish 5 years ago.

Any time you have a chance to draft a 5'7" punt returner with your top pick of a draft, you have to do it.

I would take either if the price is right. Vincent Jackson is the player everyone hopes Hardy could be. That said, he wants big bucks and having 2 high priced receivers isn't the way to build a winning team.

Any time you have a chance to draft a 5'7" punt retyrner with your top pick of a draft, you have to do it.

Especially when the only other competent WR on your team is 5' 9".

I would take either if the price is right. Vincent Jackson is the player everyone hopes Hardy could be.

Indeed. If they can't get a Vincent type player that has several years left to play, I hope Hardy gets a good shot this year.

Yes, would love to have Vincent Jackson. Of course, they could have had him already if they didn't pass on him for Roscoe Parrish 5 years ago.

Vincent Jackson would be a nice addition, but they would want to much in a trade for him and he wants too much money. For the past few years, Lee Evans has been slammed on this board for lack of production. Over the 5 seasons that Evans has been a full time starter he has averaged 58 catches and 902 yards a season-with terrible quarterbacks, weak offensive lines and poor gameplans. Jackson has averaged, over his 3 years as a full time starter-56 catches and 962 yards, with a Pro Bowl quarterback, and one of the best teams and most explosive offenses in the AFC. I think if Evans was on those Charger teams his numbers would have been better than Jacksons, by quite a bit too. Not that Jackson wouldn't be nice, but if we give up the house for him, it may be like the Falcons giving up the estate for Peerless Price awhile back.

for the bills this is a 'see wth we got' season anyway. it could make sense for next seaason once they know what we have here, but unless they get them at their price (ie. less than market, which wont ever happen), i say pass

its not that i dont want to win now its just that its not realistic to expect to build a winner from the outside like that. i hate the idea of throwing away '10 but it would just be foolish to try to fill todays holes with tomorrows picks. until we figure out what we got here and how it fits into all new systems we cant afford giving away picks that next season will feel like the gold we will use to fill in the gaps in our smile

Vincent Jackson would be a nice addition, but they would want to much in a trade for him and he wants too much money. For the past few years, Lee Evans has been slammed on this board for lack of production. Over the 5 seasons that Evans has been a full time starter he has averaged 58 catches and 902 yards a season-with terrible quarterbacks, weak offensive lines and poor gameplans. Jackson has averaged, over his 3 years as a full time starter-56 catches and 962 yards, with a Pro Bowl quarterback, and one of the best teams and most explosive offenses in the AFC. I think if Evans was on those Charger teams his numbers would have been better than Jacksons, by quite a bit too. Not that Jackson wouldn't be nice, but if we give up the house for him, it may be like the Falcons giving up the estate for Peerless Price awhile back.

Conversely, Jackson's #s were probably held down because of the plethora of offensive talent in San Diego. They had the best RB and TE for years; without one or both of those guys, Jackson's #s might have been much higher.

But of course, I agree with your point about not overpaying. I don't want any player that can't be had at a price that is reasonable for his production.

I mean, even ignoring the trade costs, do you want to pay the money VJ is asking for? I heard he wants $5-$7M/per season. Say 6 years, $35M with $15M guaranteed, somewhere in the middle of those demands. Do you pay him?

For some reason - and it may be illogical - I just have a bad gut feeling about Jackson, and I'd hold on to our money to pay someone else.

Something in the form of Lynch for Vincent Jackson (and/or whatever combo of picks are necessary to make that "equal") might make me happy. San Diego's backfield isn't exactly intimidating anymore, right?

I'd take Mathews over Tomlinson at this point. LT looks like Shaun Alexander near the end of his career. Plus they still have Sproles, so you could argue their backfield will be stronger this year.