Rumors: Troy Smith... as the Bills' starter- ESPN Insider

I would absolutely love them bringing in Troy Smith and dumping Trent Edwards (mercifully doing away with the final failure of the Marv/Jauron/Edwards regime). The Bills should do something to increase their odds of having a game changing situation at the qb position for the 2010 season. Smith is an unknown player who fits Gailey's offense and it'd be so worth giving him the chance to see what would happen between him and Brohm. If neither pan out then it's no biggie since we've all been looking towards the 2011 draft for the next Bills franchise qb.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this at ESPN under the insider headline. Anyone have a subscription that can elaborate or is this old news that hasn't been updated?

If they brought Troy Smith in even to compete for the starter role much less bring him in and name him the starter, it will be more than obvious things haven't changed one single bit at OBD. He is no better than Edwards, and may not even be as good as him, which is more than likey the case. At least Edwards has a decent attitude, that is more than what has been said about Smith in Baltimore. The new regime has been saying for months that they are going with what they have, to bring someone in at this point, would make it impossible to believe anything they say from here on out.

I don't know.

Why is somebody else's 3rd stringer now somehow our starter?

What has Troy Smith done since coming to the NFL? What, his upside is supposedly better than what we have on the roster right now?

No, if we need to make a trade it should be for a starting caliber LT.

I think veteran Jeff Garcia would have been an amazing signing, because despite his age and the debacle in Cleveland, he has lit it up wherever he has played. We could sign him for a 2 year deal, and draft the real QB of the future in the next draft.

I really don't see Troy Smith doing anything to bolster our QB ranks.

Other teams 3rd stringers would start at many positions on our team. That is the problem with this team. Besides QB, there are many #3 WRs, #3 RT&LTs, ROLB, and maybe even a couple of #3 tight ends on other teams that would start here. Heck, quite a few teams have #3 WRs that outproduce our #1 WR.

Put a fork in Garcia.

I could forsee the Bills swapping Fitz and a 2nd for Troy Smith and Jared Gaither. There is a reason that Gailey doesn't want to release a pecking order. If he knows who his top 2 are, he could trade the 3rd. Based on my interpretation of mini-camp so far, Brohm and Edwards seem to be a step up on Fitz. Throw in the fact that Fitz is a smart guy and has starting experience, he would be a desired backup. Not saying that Smith is an answer, but the Bills might be able to solve their LT issues and get a potential starting QB without giving up much.

From the where there's smoke there's fire possibility:

PFW's latest issue is out. The Bills are picked 32nd in the rankings. The words after the rating say "There's a slim chance the starting QB isn't on the roster yet." So how should one interpret that with the ESPN story? My guess: It's probably no secret among the media types that Gailey doesn't think much of any of the 3 QBs. That's why the battle has been described as very close. They're all bums & Gailey knows it. Close in this case means he's scared to death of the thought of trying to win games with any one of them at QB. As a result, any time there is the possibility of a QB that "they've heard of" becoming available for little or nothing, the media is going to speculate his acquisition by the Buffalo Bills.

Either that or the media, not Gailey, has such a low opinion of the 3 or 4 if you include Brown, who is apparently not going to contend for the starting job, that any time there is the possibility of a QB that "they've heard of" becoming available for little or nothing, someone will write a story he's headed to Buffalo.

I don't get it. Aren't we logically a better team this year? Our injured players will all be back. We don't have any issues at Running Back with anybody suspended. Every team that switched to the 3-4 last year improved in defense. Even the Chiefs. In general younger players will be better guys like Hardy, McKelvin, Maybin, Johnson, Wood, Levitre, Meredith, Bell and so on... So it doesn't make sense to place this team dead last. We had these issues last year.

I mean if we can win 6 games with the same problems, why couldn't we win the same or more with an even better team around those QB's who ever starts (please be Brhom). They really don't know football I'm telling ya.

No primadonna reciever to take up all of the energy. No slicing your OC and LT before the season. Have they heard of continuity and know how important it is?

We literally went through the worst possible scenerio last year with a lot of things... I can't see how we could even come close to those down falls. This team will be 7-9 or better. Book it.

Two Bills items in a row:

Hardy ahead as No. 2 WR?

8:07AM ET

James Hardy | Bills

Top Email

The Buffalo Bills have a problem of sorting out their RB depth chart this offseason (and picking a QB, and figuring out what to do on the O-line, and trying to fit their current defensive personnel into the new 3-4 scheme, et cetera ad nauseum), and they're facing a similar situation with the WRs.

The No. 1 wideout is obviously Lee Evans, but after that, there's nothing set in stone yet. According to Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com, James Hardy has been in the No. 2 spot during some of the offseason practices. Hardy has been a bit out of shape, ESPN.com's Tim Graham observed on June 25, but it's likely a result of recovery from sports hernia surgery.

Allen Wilson of the Buffalo News noted on May 29 that the team could sure use a breakout season by Hardy [Editor's note: among many other things], and Hardy thinks his time spent with Terrell Owens last season may yield some positive benefits. "I learned how to practice every day, how to go all out every rep," Hardy said. "I learned how to watch film. He came to my house; I went to his house often. He showed me how to break film down, what to look at as far as defenders, how to read defenses and how to have a certain communication with the quarterback on certain routes that you want to run."

Fantasy owners should use caution with whomever wins the Bills' No. 2 job, however. Vito Chirco writes that because of Buffalo's uncertain quarterback situation, whichever player starts behind Evans won't have any fantasy value.

With all this talk of No. 2, perhaps we're forgetting that the Bills drafted a very nice tertiary option for the passing game at ninth overall in C.J. Spiller. The versatile back could provoke defenses to alter their game plans, even in spite of the Bills' weaknesses in other areas of the offense:

John Clayton

Spiller will have an impact

"I'm thinking it's reasonable for him to get about 40 or 50 catches. His run-after-the-catch ability should be exceptional. Defenses might have to put a cornerback on him because he should burn most linebackers. The problem facing the Bills is that they don't have enough weapons. Opposing teams will double-team Evans. Once defenses find ways of stopping Spiller, too, then the Bills' offense could grind to a halt."

Troy could be odd man out

8:03AM ET

Troy Smith | Ravens | Interested: Saints?, Bills?

Top Email

UPDATE: Matt Jergensen of NFLGridironGab.com writes that when it comes to the Ravens' QB situation following the signing of Marc Bulger, "All signs would seemingly point to Troy Smith being shown the door." Jergensen cites Smith's potential discontent with being the team's No. 3 quarterback as the primary reason. However, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli pointed out Friday that Smith might be more accepting of the new role than some might think (see below).

---

The Baltimore Sun's Peter Schmuck writes Saturday that, following Baltimore's addition of veteran QB Bulger, it would be better for all involved if the team traded Smith to the Bills, where he might have a chance to win the starting job.

In April, Smith finally signed his RFA tender, but the buzz then was that he could still be traded. At Ravens minicamp in May, Smith addressed his future in saying, "my time will come," according to the Baltimore Sun. He followed that up by saying, "I love it here," although we're pretty sure he'd love it somewhere else where he actually got to play.

All of the Troy trade chatter becomes all the more relevant now following the Ravens' signing of Bulger to be their primary backup to Joe Flacco. As ESPN AFC North blogger James Walker wrote following news of the signing, Smith was unhappy as the No. 2, so it stands to reason he'll be even more perturbed at being the No. 3, emergency QB. This doesn't necessarily mean he'll be traded, but he certainly became much more expendable.

We've argued before that Smith would be a good fit for Chan Gailey's scheme in Buffalo if the coach decides to run some version of the spread offense, but as of yet we haven't heard anything concrete on a possible trade between the Ravens and Bills involving Troy. Moreover, Gailey has stated that while he won't officially name a starter at QB until sometime during the preseason, he expects to have a pecking order, and it's unclear whether he's open to adding a fifth man to that rotation.

One last long-shot option, however, could be the New Orleans Saints, as we wrote earlier. Mark Brunell is likely on his way to the Jets, and the Saints are believed to be close to signing free agent Patrick Ramsey as the veteran backup to Drew Brees. However, the team may want to consider Smith if he is indeed available.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli writes that Smith might opt to keep quiet and just stick with the Ravens for now:

Len Pasquarelli

Smith might want to stay put

"Even with the addition of Bulger, the Ravens aren't likely to release either of their other backups, Troy Smith or John Beck, before camp opens. Each youngster is scheduled to make just $1.101 million in 2010. And although Smith very publicly asked for a trade through his then-agent earlier this spring, he isn't going to reiterate that request. With new agent Neil Cornrich, the three-year veteran and 2006 Heisman Trophy winner is now content in Baltimore, even after Bulger's acquisition fattened the depth chart. The former Ohio State star is only 25 years old. Although he's appeared in just 14 games (two starts) in three seasons, he is aware of the benefits of being with a solid franchise, and knows that it sometimes takes a few years for a quarterback to get his shot."

Peter Schmuck.

Two Bills items in a row:

Hardy ahead as No. 2 WR?

8:07AM ET

James Hardy | Bills

Top Email

The Buffalo Bills have a problem of sorting out their RB depth chart this offseason (and picking a QB, and figuring out what to do on the O-line, and trying to fit their current defensive personnel into the new 3-4 scheme, et cetera ad nauseum), and they're facing a similar situation with the WRs.

The No. 1 wideout is obviously Lee Evans, but after that, there's nothing set in stone yet. According to Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com, James Hardy has been in the No. 2 spot during some of the offseason practices. Hardy has been a bit out of shape, ESPN.com's Tim Graham observed on June 25, but it's likely a result of recovery from sports hernia surgery.

Allen Wilson of the Buffalo News noted on May 29 that the team could sure use a breakout season by Hardy [Editor's note: among many other things], and Hardy thinks his time spent with Terrell Owens last season may yield some positive benefits. "I learned how to practice every day, how to go all out every rep," Hardy said. "I learned how to watch film. He came to my house; I went to his house often. He showed me how to break film down, what to look at as far as defenders, how to read defenses and how to have a certain communication with the quarterback on certain routes that you want to run."

Fantasy owners should use caution with whomever wins the Bills' No. 2 job, however. Vito Chirco writes that because of Buffalo's uncertain quarterback situation, whichever player starts behind Evans won't have any fantasy value.

With all this talk of No. 2, perhaps we're forgetting that the Bills drafted a very nice tertiary option for the passing game at ninth overall in C.J. Spiller. The versatile back could provoke defenses to alter their game plans, even in spite of the Bills' weaknesses in other areas of the offense:

John Clayton

Spiller will have an impact

"I'm thinking it's reasonable for him to get about 40 or 50 catches. His run-after-the-catch ability should be exceptional. Defenses might have to put a cornerback on him because he should burn most linebackers. The problem facing the Bills is that they don't have enough weapons. Opposing teams will double-team Evans. Once defenses find ways of stopping Spiller, too, then the Bills' offense could grind to a halt."

Troy could be odd man out

8:03AM ET

Troy Smith | Ravens | Interested: Saints?, Bills?

Top Email

UPDATE: Matt Jergensen of NFLGridironGab.com writes that when it comes to the Ravens' QB situation following the signing of Marc Bulger, "All signs would seemingly point to Troy Smith being shown the door." Jergensen cites Smith's potential discontent with being the team's No. 3 quarterback as the primary reason. However, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli pointed out Friday that Smith might be more accepting of the new role than some might think (see below).

---

The Baltimore Sun's Peter Schmuck writes Saturday that, following Baltimore's addition of veteran QB Bulger, it would be better for all involved if the team traded Smith to the Bills, where he might have a chance to win the starting job.

In April, Smith finally signed his RFA tender, but the buzz then was that he could still be traded. At Ravens minicamp in May, Smith addressed his future in saying, "my time will come," according to the Baltimore Sun. He followed that up by saying, "I love it here," although we're pretty sure he'd love it somewhere else where he actually got to play.

All of the Troy trade chatter becomes all the more relevant now following the Ravens' signing of Bulger to be their primary backup to Joe Flacco. As ESPN AFC North blogger James Walker wrote following news of the signing, Smith was unhappy as the No. 2, so it stands to reason he'll be even more perturbed at being the No. 3, emergency QB. This doesn't necessarily mean he'll be traded, but he certainly became much more expendable.

We've argued before that Smith would be a good fit for Chan Gailey's scheme in Buffalo if the coach decides to run some version of the spread offense, but as of yet we haven't heard anything concrete on a possible trade between the Ravens and Bills involving Troy. Moreover, Gailey has stated that while he won't officially name a starter at QB until sometime during the preseason, he expects to have a pecking order, and it's unclear whether he's open to adding a fifth man to that rotation.

One last long-shot option, however, could be the New Orleans Saints, as we wrote earlier. Mark Brunell is likely on his way to the Jets, and the Saints are believed to be close to signing free agent Patrick Ramsey as the veteran backup to Drew Brees. However, the team may want to consider Smith if he is indeed available.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli writes that Smith might opt to keep quiet and just stick with the Ravens for now:

Len Pasquarelli

Smith might want to stay put

"Even with the addition of Bulger, the Ravens aren't likely to release either of their other backups, Troy Smith or John Beck, before camp opens. Each youngster is scheduled to make just $1.101 million in 2010. And although Smith very publicly asked for a trade through his then-agent earlier this spring, he isn't going to reiterate that request. With new agent Neil Cornrich, the three-year veteran and 2006 Heisman Trophy winner is now content in Baltimore, even after Bulger's acquisition fattened the depth chart. The former Ohio State star is only 25 years old. Although he's appeared in just 14 games (two starts) in three seasons, he is aware of the benefits of being with a solid franchise, and knows that it sometimes takes a few years for a quarterback to get his shot."

B-)

Nice job Fingon!

I hear you, but I think it's because he's a young QB who got sick at the wrong time and, thus, really hasn't gotten much of a chance. Bulger is proven and Smith isn't yet. I guess the Ravens didn't want to take a chance that Sal Paolantonio is right. B-)

A lot of us want a proven QB (I've seen the names Garcia & Campbell thrown around in this thread), but that QB comes at a price. It won't happen.

I can see this Troy Smith thing happening. He's saying the right things, but you have to believe he's not happy being relegated to the 3rd QB w/o being given much of a shot. Perhaps he needs the right offense? Hard to say, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade for Smith, Brown being sent to the PS, and one of Edwards/Brohm being shown the door.

He got beaten out by a better QB. Not by tonsillitis, or whatever. What leads you to believe that Smith would still be the QB if Flacco wasn't drafted? He's another crappy pro QB from Ohio State. Why would we dump Brohm when there is no evidence that Smith is any better at pro football? I don't get it.

I don't discount the fact that a shakeup could occur as we head to training camp. I would think one of the top three could be gone (Edwards, Brohm, Fitz) and Brown could end up on the practice squad at the end of pre-season.

Not that it will happen but the Smith situation bears watching and so does the battle in Miami behind Henne (White-Pennington-Thigpen).

Maybe that's why Chan is hesitant to name a starter.

From the where there's smoke there's fire possibility:

PFW's latest issue is out. The Bills are picked 32nd in the rankings. The words after the rating say "There's a slim chance the starting QB isn't on the roster yet." So how should one interpret that with the ESPN story? My guess: It's probably no secret among the media types that Gailey doesn't think much of any of the 3 QBs. That's why the battle has been described as very close. They're all bums & Gailey knows it. Close in this case means he's scared to death of the thought of trying to win games with any one of them at QB. As a result, any time there is the possibility of a QB that "they've heard of" becoming available for little or nothing, the media is going to speculate his acquisition by the Buffalo Bills.

Either that or the media, not Gailey, has such a low opinion of the 3 or 4 if you include Brown, who is apparently not going to contend for the starting job, that any time there is the possibility of a QB that "they've heard of" becoming available for little or nothing, someone will write a story he's headed to Buffalo.

Holy crap! One of the most negative posts ever. Seems like you would be unhappy if one of the quarterbacks turned out to play well this year.

How can you be a Bills fan and be so closed mind and negative about our quarterbacks? Brohm is still an unknown, has never played in an NFL game, and Edwards has showed potential, albeit derailed by an unstable team. Fitzpartick has looked good at times as well, like a starting caliber quarterback.

There is hope, is what I am saying, and it's not blind faith-- good new leadership on and off the field, talented players at several positions, and a new philosophy and attitude.

BS that so many people are so pessissmistic about this team, the quarterbacks, and the future. This is going to be an excellent year for the Bills.

I don't know.

Why is somebody else's 3rd stringer now somehow our starter?

What has Troy Smith done since coming to the NFL? What, his upside is supposedly better than what we have on the roster right now?

No, if we need to make a trade it should be for a starting caliber LT.

I think veteran Jeff Garcia would have been an amazing signing, because despite his age and the debacle in Cleveland, he has lit it up wherever he has played. We could sign him for a 2 year deal, and draft the real QB of the future in the next draft.

I really don't see Troy Smith doing anything to bolster our QB ranks.

Have you looked at our QBs? They ARE rank....lol

If they brought Troy Smith in even to compete for the starter role much less bring him in and name him the starter, it will be more than obvious things haven't changed one single bit at OBD. He is no better than Edwards, and may not even be as good as him, which is more than likey the case. At least Edwards has a decent attitude, that is more than what has been said about Smith in Baltimore. The new regime has been saying for months that they are going with what they have, to bring someone in at this point, would make it impossible to believe anything they say from here on out.

You're kidding right? Trent is a bum. People need to finally get that. As I have pointed out in the past as have people like Darth Ice...all you need do is take a look at footage at buffalobills.com to see the lame ducks that trent chucks up there. This guy is a professionaly F'ing QB. The guy can't throw a spiral over 15 - 20 yards in the air. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!? A spiral pass. And people wonder why he doesn't throw deep.

IT'S BECAUSE HE SUCKS AT IT!!!

He got beaten out by a better QB. Not by tonsillitis, or whatever. What leads you to believe that Smith would still be the QB if Flacco wasn't drafted? He's another crappy pro QB from Ohio State. Why would we dump Brohm when there is no evidence that Smith is any better at pro football? I don't get it.

WRONG!...He was named the starter. You have your facts wrong. The tonsillitis opened the door for 1st round pick Flacco and the QB of the future didn't screw it up and kept the job.

Holy crap! One of the most negative posts ever. Seems like you would be unhappy if one of the quarterbacks turned out to play well this year.

How can you be a Bills fan and be so closed mind and negative about our quarterbacks? Brohm is still an unknown, has never played in an NFL game, and Edwards has showed potential, albeit derailed by an unstable team. Fitzpartick has looked good at times as well, like a starting caliber quarterback.

There is hope, is what I am saying, and it's not blind faith-- good new leadership on and off the field, talented players at several positions, and a new philosophy and attitude.

BS that so many people are so pessissmistic about this team, the quarterbacks, and the future. This is going to be an excellent year for the Bills.

There is a difference between negative and factual. Let's look at the facts

Trent Edwards: Skitish ineffective checkdown passer who can't beat a 3 - 4 defense

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Career backup with no solid arm

Brian Brohm: 2nd rd pick who in his 2nd year was demoted to 3rd string and moved to the practice squad by the Packers

Do you think this gives us hope for the future? If you do, I seriously need some of what you are on!!!

Another point is even if we do do "well", whatever that means. We could do even "better" with a real QB!!!!