Took my 3 yr old little girl to see Toy Story 3

HelloNewman

I wonder how many people even know which company is putting out these movies anymore. There are so many animated films coming out now, I know I don't have a clue who is making half of them.

If you get a chance to see it I highly recommend it. Very cute movie and the story line is good too...congrats to Pixar on this one.

I'll up the ante on your remark and say that Toy Story 3 is the best movie of the year, so far. This movie should be remembered come Oscar time as a serious contender for Best Picture. It is that good.

OMFG I loved the **** out of Toy Story 3!

Newman, folks are saying "it's not a kids movie.". I'm inclined to agree, but only from a thematic standpoint and for reasons no doubt lost to a 3 year old. Regardless, how did your 3 year old respond to some of the less "kiddie" moments?

The movie spans many generations. I am 28. I was 14 when the first movie came out and like many teens we watched the movie with our parents. The second came out 99 and has been seen by tons of kids, even those that were not born until years later, probably even 2004! So, take in to account that my parents (both in their 60's) because they remember seeing it with me and my siblings when we were younger. From the 3 year old to the 70 year old grand parents I think this series will be one of the most remembered and classic examples of family movies ever!

I saw it in 3D and just felt like a kid again, from the books I read, Where the Red Fern Grows, to The Indian and the Cupboard series, it brings back those memories where you walk out of there waiting for Daniel Stern to narrate my childhood back to me. When GI Joe was a toy kids were allowed to play with, Ninja Turtles were not some Japanimation gimmick, where He-Man was not homo-erotic, and where Lego's would cover thousands of acres of your house. Toy Story 3 is already a classic for that feeling you walk out with; remembering that bond you still have with your childhood.

I'd argue that Ratatouille kinda sux. Bug's Life also did little for me.

I'll go ahead and disagree. I thought Ratatouille and Wall-e were the absolute masterpieces Pixar produced. I'm a member of the Society of Animation Studies and those guys worship Ratatouille. Not that that necessarily means anything, but worth tossing out there. I thought Finding Nemo and Cars were more like vehicles for delivering happy meals than true movies. Thankfully the studio got past the need to pander to the kids with cuteness. These last 4 years Pixar has made films that are as good as anything out there. Granted cinematically we are in some lean times, but they still kind of kill it each summer.

I'll go ahead and disagree. I thought Ratatouille and Wall-e were the absolute masterpieces Pixar produced. I'm a member of the Society of Animation Studies and those guys worship Ratatouille. Not that that necessarily means anything, but worth tossing out there. I thought Finding Nemo and Cars were more like vehicles for delivering happy meals than true movies. Thankfully the studio got past the need to pander to the kids with cuteness. These last 4 years Pixar has made films that are as good as anything out there. Granted cinematically we are in some lean times, but they still kind of kill it each summer.

I thought Up was Pixar's best work so far. The final 20 minutes of the movie aren't so great because they add an unnecessary antagonist, thinking "well, there has to be a bad guy to defeat.". Other than that, though, it was spectacular. I'm usually not a crier, but I was already weeping like a baby after the first five minutes :P

And, yes, Ratatouille was excellent too. Cars was just awful, I think Pixar chooses to forget about that one. I enjoyed Finding Nemo even if it was designed to be a cute kids' story. There were enough funny moments and good voice-actor performances to keep it afloat for me.

The technical excellence of Ratatouille is undeniable. It's the story and the length I didn't care for. On the flip-side, I absolutely LOVED Wall-E and Up, while my kids were a bit bored by both of them.

OMFG I loved the **** out of Toy Story 3!

Newman, folks are saying "it's not a kids movie.". I'm inclined to agree, but only from a thematic standpoint and for reasons no doubt lost to a 3 year old. Regardless, how did your 3 year old respond to some of the less "kiddie" moments?

She was fine throurout the movie. It is a looong movie...I think they said 1 hr 45 minutes without the previews so she got a little antsy but she was able to stand up and walk a little bit by us and she loved it. She now wants the toys.

I thought Up was Pixar's best work so far. The final 20 minutes of the movie aren't so great because they add an unnecessary antagonist, thinking "well, there has to be a bad guy to defeat.". Other than that, though, it was spectacular. I'm usually not a crier, but I was already weeping like a baby after the first five minutes :P

And, yes, Ratatouille was excellent too. Cars was just awful, I think Pixar chooses to forget about that one. I enjoyed Finding Nemo even if it was designed to be a cute kids' story. There were enough funny moments and good voice-actor performances to keep it afloat for me.

No Sage, they have not forgotten Cars, because they are working on Cars 2. I don't think Cars is awful but it is Pixar's weakest movie, even though it has great animation. One good thing is I have read about the plot for Cars 2 and it does sound quite funny, so there is hope.

Pixar is also going forward with a sequel to Monsters, Inc. I find that puzzling since it felt like they ended that story with nowhere else to go, but I have faith in them.

What frustrates me is Pixar getting more and more into the sequel business, and not one of them is a sequel to The Incredibles.

The technical excellence of Ratatouille is undeniable. It's the story and the length I didn't care for. On the flip-side, I absolutely LOVED Wall-E and Up, while my kids were a bit bored by both of them.

I think if nothing else Ratatouille is saved by the scene with the food critic eating remy's food for the first time. The immediate quick cut back to his childhood and the look on his face as these memories come rushing back is a beautifully quiet and affecting moment. More than that it's the kind of filmmaking so-called serious adult films would never attempt. The film just slows down and lets the moment happen--brilliant sequence.

i took my 6 year old nephew to see Wall-E and he was bored spitless. I have no idea why I am so consistently disappointed in a 6 year olds inability to appreciate great art, but I am. Took my last girlfriend to see Up and she was bored spitless. And well, see above I guess.

No Sage, they have not forgotten Cars, because they are working on Cars 2. I don't think Cars is awful but it is Pixar's weakest movie, even though it has great animation. One good thing is I have read about the plot for Cars 2 and it does sound quite funny, so there is hope.

Pixar is also going forward with a sequel to Monsters, Inc. I find that puzzling since it felt like they ended that story with nowhere else to go, but I have faith in them.

What frustrates me is Pixar getting more and more into the sequel business, and not one of them is a sequel to The Incredibles.

That's a shame, The Incredibles was a thoroughly enjoyable movie. I'd love to see a second one in the making, but oh well. Monsters, Inc. is absolutely loved by kids, so that's probably why they're going after a second one. All of my little cousin's used to do was talk about that movie.

I think if nothing else Ratatouille is saved by the scene with the food critic eating remy's food for the first time. The immediate quick cut back to his childhood and the look on his face as these memories come rushing back is a beautifully quiet and affecting moment. More than that it's the kind of filmmaking so-called serious adult films would never attempt. The film just slows down and lets the moment happen--brilliant sequence.

i took my 6 year old nephew to see Wall-E and he was bored spitless. I have no idea why I am so consistently disappointed in a 6 year olds inability to appreciate great art, but I am. Took my last girlfriend to see Up and she was bored spitless. And well, see above I guess.

That is a great scene in Ratatouille. I understand why people have a difficult time embracing Ratatouille. Many people are creeped out by the fact that a rat is the main character. Another problem is that while Ratatouille is a clever movie, it suffers from not having many big laughs, as in other Pixar movies. Nevertheless I still love Ratatouille.

It is a sad thing that people like your nephew & last girlfriend can not appreciate Wall-E or Up. It saddens me that many kids and people like your last girlfriend today would not see the great art in a movie like Fantasia.

For one of my classes this past year at Fredonia I had to make a writing portfolio for any company I wanted. I chose Pixar and to tell you the truth, after delving into their company more and seeing what kinds of things they do I couldn't help but appreciate Pixar even more! They aim to please ALL audiences, they don't want to be seen as filmmakers of "children's" films but rather "family" flicks, and I think they do an excellent job of encompassing that.

They have some really cool films coming out some of which you have already mentioned- Cars 2 and Monsters Inc. 2. They are also coming out with one called NEWT about...well a newt. I also think that Pixar is releasing its first live-action film too in 2012 called, John Carter of Mars. That should be interesting.

Anyways, just wanted to throw my two cents. LOVED Toy Tory 3 by the way! I'm 22 and felt like I grew up with these characters. Andy in a sense is representative of my generation and I can relate to falling out of love with toys you played with as a kid. Very moving at the end. Def 10 outta 10

That is a great scene in Ratatouille. I understand why people have a difficult time embracing Ratatouille. Many people are creeped out by the fact that a rat is the main character. Another problem is that while Ratatouille is a clever movie, it suffers from not having many big laughs, as in other Pixar movies. Nevertheless I still love Ratatouille.

It is a sad thing that people like your nephew & last girlfriend can not appreciate Wall-E or Up. It saddens me that many kids and people like your last girlfriend today would not see the great art in a movie like Fantasia.

There are far sadder things about my last girlfriend....

But I agree with you about Ratatouille. I think there are aesthetic and narrative expectations for "family" films and folks tend to freak out when they don't fit into the pre-conceived mold. I found it so unsettling that parents were flipping out about Where the Wild Things Are and Fantastic Mr Fox, but Tooth Fairy and Spy Next Door skate. I find Tooth Fairy infinitely more offensive then kids getting a little frightened by a bunch of furry monsters running about.