Ribeye

I feel what your saying. My wife's dad is a grass fed beef farmer in the Virginia Shenandoah Valley. We haven't paid for meat since we've been married. We have two tall freezers in our garage. One is filled with nothing but different kinds of steaks, and the other is the ground beef, roasts, etc.

We know what their eating, we know how they've been cared for, and we know who we're gonna eat in advance.

It's just awesome when it's time to butcher to see all the steak coming our way!!!

:thumbsup:

I know this is unpopular, but I'll take the tastier artifically bloated corn-fed cow over the natural grass-fed one.

To reply to a few posts, and I will not use citations, but I can provide them;

I would be glad to sell you some beef. 1/2cow is 220lbs and sells for $4.75/lbs. and 1/4 cow is 110 lbs. and sells for $4.85/lbs. I am in Lexington, NC. I am taking 3 steers to harvest Aug. 2nd. I have 3/4 left. If you could get to the area; Charlotte/Matthews or Lexington, NC where I do one of the two drop offs, I can accomodate you.

Naturally raised grass fed Charolais beef is lower in bad chloresterol and high in good chloresterol.

There are numerous benefits of grass fed beef. If anyone ever just wants to try one simple thing, find yourself some grass fed ground beef and make yourself some burgers with it. You will taste the grass fed beef difference.

Here, I will just do this; This is what I give my customers and potential customers...

Dear Valued Customer,

We would like to welcome you to the grass-fed beef experience! Our farm, as you know, is located in Lexington, North Carolina. It has been passed down through three generations and has seen a great deal of change. It started in the mid 1930’s by our “Gramps” Banks Everhart, who, like most rural folk, would have a few cows for milk, a couple pigs, and chickens. In the 1940’s, a new cattle breed started to gain attention in the United States. It was a type of cow that would weigh 2,000 lbs. when fully grown! These cattle are called Charolais and originate from the Charolles region of France. They are regarded as one of the oldest breeds known with evidence of their history dating back to 878 A.D.

As you can tell, we really think there is something special in our grass-fed Charolais beef! Here are a few reasons why our Charolais beef is just so good:

• There are no antibiotics or hormones given to our cattle

• We do not use preservatives

• Natural, grass-fed Charolais beef is rich in Iron, Zinc, digestible protein and other minerals you cannot find in processed beef

• Grass-fed beef contains all three of the Vitamin B complex, niacin, riboflavin and B12

• Charolais beef is naturally lower in calories and fat

• High levels of nine essential amino acids are found in our grass-fed beef

• Loaded with Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids

• Low levels of cholesterol and saturated fat

• Rich in Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA), an antioxidant that is valued for its anti-cancer properties and the ability to reduce belly fat

• Our cows do not rely on silage or any types of processed feeds

• High levels of Vitamin A (beta-carotenes) and Vitamin E

We strive to offer the healthy choice of living associated with grass-fed beef. Many people will not fully appreciate or understand the differences of this type of beef. We are, as a culture, programmed to desire certain things in the foods we eat. A great example of this is while shopping at your local market place you will see white fat marbled through the cuts of beef. White fat is a result of a processed food diet that eliminates a lot of the values mentioned above. Grass-fed beef will contain a yellow marbling of fat which is due to the high levels of beta-carotenes and other vitamins found in the forage diets of the animal. A cow will store these vitamins in the fat deposits. However, Charolais beef retain a gene that tends to keep the fat deposits tinted white regardless of the dietary consumption of forage. The types of forage offered to a cow will often dictate the textures of the beef as well as the taste. We grow indigenous species of grass native to the Piedmont of North Carolina. Our pastures consist of primarily fescue-based grasses with some legumes. We offer some seasonal grasses, such as Sudan-Sorghum and Rye, too. Our cows love these grasses!

So, if your beef seems a little “yellow” in some places or may taste a little bit different than what you are used to, do not be alarmed! These are the benefits of food done right, the way nature intended it to be! Enjoy!

Thank you for your support,

Jeff Boyst, BN Acres

To reply to a few posts, and I will not use citations, but I can provide them;

I would be glad to sell you some beef. 1/2cow is 220lbs and sells for $4.75/lbs. and 1/4 cow is 110 lbs. and sells for $4.85/lbs. I am in Lexington, NC. I am taking 3 steers to harvest Aug. 2nd. I have 3/4 left. If you could get to the area; Charlotte/Matthews or Lexington, NC where I do one of the two drop offs, I can accomodate you.

Naturally raised grass fed Charolais beef is lower in bad chloresterol and high in good chloresterol.

There are numerous benefits of grass fed beef. If anyone ever just wants to try one simple thing, find yourself some grass fed ground beef and make yourself some burgers with it. You will taste the grass fed beef difference.

Here, I will just do this; This is what I give my customers and potential customers...

Dear Valued Customer,

We would like to welcome you to the grass-fed beef experience! Our farm, as you know, is located in Lexington, North Carolina. It has been passed down through three generations and has seen a great deal of change. It started in the mid 1930’s by our “Gramps” Banks Everhart, who, like most rural folk, would have a few cows for milk, a couple pigs, and chickens. In the 1940’s, a new cattle breed started to gain attention in the United States. It was a type of cow that would weigh 2,000 lbs. when fully grown! These cattle are called Charolais and originate from the Charolles region of France. They are regarded as one of the oldest breeds known with evidence of their history dating back to 878 A.D.

As you can tell, we really think there is something special in our grass-fed Charolais beef! Here are a few reasons why our Charolais beef is just so good:

• There are no antibiotics or hormones given to our cattle

• We do not use preservatives

• Natural, grass-fed Charolais beef is rich in Iron, Zinc, digestible protein and other minerals you cannot find in processed beef

• Grass-fed beef contains all three of the Vitamin B complex, niacin, riboflavin and B12

• Charolais beef is naturally lower in calories and fat

• High levels of nine essential amino acids are found in our grass-fed beef

• Loaded with Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids

• Low levels of cholesterol and saturated fat

• Rich in Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA), an antioxidant that is valued for its anti-cancer properties and the ability to reduce belly fat

• Our cows do not rely on silage or any types of processed feeds

• High levels of Vitamin A (beta-carotenes) and Vitamin E

We strive to offer the healthy choice of living associated with grass-fed beef. Many people will not fully appreciate or understand the differences of this type of beef. We are, as a culture, programmed to desire certain things in the foods we eat. A great example of this is while shopping at your local market place you will see white fat marbled through the cuts of beef. White fat is a result of a processed food diet that eliminates a lot of the values mentioned above. Grass-fed beef will contain a yellow marbling of fat which is due to the high levels of beta-carotenes and other vitamins found in the forage diets of the animal. A cow will store these vitamins in the fat deposits. However, Charolais beef retain a gene that tends to keep the fat deposits tinted white regardless of the dietary consumption of forage. The types of forage offered to a cow will often dictate the textures of the beef as well as the taste. We grow indigenous species of grass native to the Piedmont of North Carolina. Our pastures consist of primarily fescue-based grasses with some legumes. We offer some seasonal grasses, such as Sudan-Sorghum and Rye, too. Our cows love these grasses!

So, if your beef seems a little “yellow” in some places or may taste a little bit different than what you are used to, do not be alarmed! These are the benefits of food done right, the way nature intended it to be! Enjoy!

Thank you for your support,

Jeff Boyst, BN Acres

Ok, I'm not able to get to your area but I'm intrigued. What constitutes a 1/4 cow?

Ok, I'm not able to get to your area but I'm intrigued. What constitutes a 1/4 cow?

A cow is 1 unit. Cut it down the middle and you have two halves. Each half will be identical so long as there is no deformities or problems with the carcass. To derive a 1/4 cow you cut the side in to half, or half side. Generally, half sides are all most farmers will go to because it is too hard to predict the cuts enough to give a fair split between people when it is broken in to 1/8's.

Here is an example or something that may give you a better idea/

You can use the link if my signature to find your local farmers markets. There you can go to meet farmers and buy individual cuts or packages. You can also google "grass fed beef" along with your state. That is a good way to start. If i can ever help anyone to a healthier lifestyle, let me know, I'd be happy to help!

A cow is 1 unit. Cut it down the middle and you have two halves. Each half will be identical so long as there is no deformities or problems with the carcass. To derive a 1/4 cow you cut the side in to half, or half side. Generally, half sides are all most farmers will go to because it is too hard to predict the cuts enough to give a fair split between people when it is broken in to 1/8's.

Here is an example or something that may give you a better idea/

You can use the link if my signature to find your local farmers markets. There you can go to meet farmers and buy individual cuts or packages. You can also google "grass fed beef" along with your state. That is a good way to start. If i can ever help anyone to a healthier lifestyle, let me know, I'd be happy to help!

So there is no difference between the fore quarter and hind quarter with the regard to price/ pound? I would assume that the hind quarter would weigh more, is that correct?

When buying in half or whole sides, no, everything is the same at the same price per lbs.

A cow consists of 36% of ground beef, 31% of stew beef and roasts, and 31% steaks (filets, ribeyes, t-bones, etc).

So, whether you get a 1/4 or 1/2 or even a whole cow, you end up with the same %. Yes, you may pay $4.75 on ground beef but you're paying that same price per lbs. on all your steaks.

Individual cuts can be pricey in the grassfed beef selection. Take one of the largest Charolais beef farmers in the South East, Mac Baldwin. When unbundled and sold individually, cuts get expensive! When bought in a bundle they are much cheaper.

Cuts of beef I have print outs and posters, but I googled this quick. It can help you understand some of the cuts.

Had a bone-in rib eye for lunch today. Put a dry rub on it, and seared it on the grill for a couple minutes on each side.

Was a perfect rare/medium rare.

Sounds great. With rib eye, I like mine cooked more towards medium. With the higher level of marbling, blood, and fat one typically finds with rib eye, I like to give it a bit more time on the fire.

All the other cuts I like medium rare.

Cooked some USA Choice (bleh) Sirloin (bleh) steaks wrapped in bacon that my gf bought (she thought they were fillets, lol).

They turned out pretty decent. Got them nice and juicy, medium rare (as god intended), with a nice crust on top, but still not as flavorful or awesome as a usda prime ribeye or filet.