Free rubbers for Tots in Provincetown, Mass

Condoms, secrecy for Provincetown pupils

Parents, official criticize policy

By Jack Nicas, Boston Globe Correspondent / June 24, 2010

"Students in Provincetown — from elementary school to high school — will be able to get free condoms at school under a recently approved policy that takes effect this fall. The rule also requires school officials to keep student requests secret, and ignore parents’ objections."...

(1st graders ok, kindergarteners are SOL)

http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/...ncetown_pupils/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rule also requires school officials to keep student requests secret, and ignore parents' objections."...

Awesome; it's about time six year olds had their rights protected from their overbearing parents.

Especially sexual rights. I think the parent of a six year old has the right to be a part of their child's life, but not when it comes to the bedroom.

Sarcasm aside - Sadly, too many parents elect to step out of their children's lives.

this is what happens after 15 years of parents expecting schools to raise their children for them. i dont have anything against what the school is doing. maybe it will inspire parents to take a more active role in their kids' lives. probably not though.

this is what happens after 15 years of parents expecting schools to raise their children for them. i dont have anything against what the school is doing. maybe it will inspire parents to take a more active role in their kids' lives. probably not though.

:beer::):lol::w00t::thumbsup::doh::w00t:

erm...huh?

THIS parent wouldn't dream of handing over the raising of my kid to the schools in all their corrupt incompetence.

erm...huh?

THIS parent wouldn't dream of handing over the raising of my kid to the schools in all their corrupt incompetence.

you are in a very small minority. i know everyone here will say the same thing you did. but i know too many teachers, and have seen it too many times myself. there are a lot of parents out there that only get involved when they dont like the way the school is raising their child.

The only problem with this is that the ultra-conservatives in this country blow it completely out of proportion. Trust me, there are a lot of middle and high schoolers (5th grade and up) that are way less innocent than most will make them out to be. the problem is that there isnt enough proper sex ed in this country at a young enough age, and even when it is taught, most places tell the kids that "abstinence is the only option." That does not work IMO. It sickens me to see girls as young as 7th grade pregnant due to the ignorant people who try to run this country thinking that kids will do exactly what they tell them to do, or dont give them any option.

Get your heads out of your ***** people! Teenage pregnancies are way too high in this country.

I'm quoting this from my college sociology teacher last year: There is a higher percentage of 12 year olds in the US pregnant than the percentage of pregnant teens (pre-20) in Sweden. The reason? In Sweden, sex ed starts in kindergarten and they teach children more than just abstinence.

The only problem with this is that the ultra-conservatives in this country blow it completely out of proportion. Trust me, there are a lot of middle and high schoolers (5th grade and up) that are way less innocent than most will make them out to be. the problem is that there isnt enough proper sex ed in this country at a young enough age, and even when it is taught, most places tell the kids that "abstinence is the only option." That does not work IMO. It sickens me to see girls as young as 7th grade pregnant due to the ignorant people who try to run this country thinking that kids will do exactly what they tell them to do, or dont give them any option.

Get your heads out of your ***** people! Teenage pregnancies are way too high in this country.

I'm quoting this from my college sociology teacher last year: There is a higher percentage of 12 year olds in the US pregnant than the percentage of pregnant teens (pre-20) in Sweden. The reason? In Sweden, sex ed starts in kindergarten and they teach children more than just abstinence.

everything here is absolutely right. I apologize ahead of time for the uptight conservatives who are going to start shrieking at you

you are in a very small minority. i know everyone here will say the same thing you did. but i know too many teachers, and have seen it too many times myself. there are a lot of parents out there that only get involved when they dont like the way the school is raising their child.

being a former teacher in Atlanta, it is unfathomable how much the parents blamed me for their kids misbehavior in class or not turning in basic algebra homework.

Scary thing is that when we had a sexual deviant in office (Potus)teen pregnancies went down, unfortunately during the 2000's the rate went back up into rates that were seen in the 80's. I have taught in 3 years of being in the classroom 9 girls that were pregnant during their middle school or high school experience. Only 1 of them was mentally in a state where she was close to ready for such responsibilty. She also happened to be the only one that passed my class out of those 9.

being a former teacher in Atlanta, it is unfathomable how much the parents blamed me for their kids misbehavior in class or not turning in basic algebra homework.

Scary thing is that when we had a sexual deviant in office (Potus)teen pregnancies went down, unfortunately during the 2000's the rate went back up into rates that were seen in the 80's. I have taught in 3 years of being in the classroom 9 girls that were pregnant during their middle school or high school experience. Only 1 of them was mentally in a state where she was close to ready for such responsibilty. She also happened to be the only one that passed my class out of those 9.

sounds like it's all the overpaid teacher's fault, imo...

Schools, condom distribution, and sex ed are all colossal wastes of time. They are not why Swedish pregnancy rates are lower. Parenting and communal relationships between families are why Sweden is better-off on this. The absentee parent is the norm in the USA and the parent who never leaves home except to get a pack of smokes is relatively normal. THAT is the difference and it can't be solved by showing kids a film and handing them a condom, despite liberal wishes to the contrary.

(This is as close as I can get to a cincy impression BTW...I actually always think today is better than yesterday!)

On a related note, a good parent explains what sex is and how it works at a very early age. Not to encourage it but to answer questions honestly. I think we had those talks at about age 4-5 with my daughter. She wanted to know where babies came from. We told her. End of story.