WGR report on minicamp practice wed 6/23

Not to be a jerk about this, but why is Ellison still on the team? He was a capable Cover 2 LB who was forced into a starting role the last few years, but with the 3-4 in full effect what actual benefit does he serve aside from holding up a roster spot?

This isn't a knock on his talents or on-the-field play, but he just doesn't fit our system. Aren't we doing a disservice to him as an NFL player by keeping him from latching on to a Cover 2 team and continuing his career? Him and McCargo are almost certainly training camp cuts.

Not to be a jerk about this, but why is Ellison still on the team? He was a capable Cover 2 LB who was forced into a starting role the last few years, but with the 3-4 in full effect what actual benefit does he serve aside from holding up a roster spot?

What point does it serve to cut him now? He tried his best to fill because of injuries, so I think he deserves a shot to compete for a shot. I don't think he will make it, but I always apperciate KE's effort despite being limited.

What point does it serve to cut him now? He tried his best to fill because of injuries, so I think he deserves a shot to compete for a shot. I don't think he will make it, but I always apperciate KE's effort despite being limited.

Keith Ellison is the model for everything that WAS wrong with the old FO at OBD. He is to small, not strong enough and not fast enough to play OLB in the 3-4. He doesn't have the speed, or size to break the line and stuff the run as an ILB in the 3-4 either.

He is to big to play safety, and doesn't defend the pass well enough to play the hybrid LB/S in the 46 variations of the 3-4 either. So, what does that leave him to do? Ride the pine? Take a roster spot from a rookie that has the attributes that he lacks? Why? Because he has heart? So do a lot of the other guys on this team. The NFL is not a charity. You have to earn your spot on a team. If he is injured every year because he takes a beating against the run, then what good is he? Yes he led the team in tackles the first 3 weeks of the season. Then what happened? He got bowled over and was done for the year. The guy is soft and should be cut. But not because he deserves a chance to try and sign somewhere else, but because he has no place on the team.

That's two shots.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread....851#post3992851

I noted that Lynch was there (he was not listed as absent)

and Edwards was beaten by Brohm at least today...

Yesterday it looked like Edwards was the better of the QB's. But that's been Edwards niche, he's been up and down. I still think the QB competition comes down to Brohm & Edwards.

Keith Ellison is the model for everything that WAS wrong with the old FO at OBD. He is to small, not strong enough and not fast enough to play OLB in the 3-4. He doesn't have the speed, or size to break the line and stuff the run as an ILB in the 3-4 either.

He is to big to play safety, and doesn't defend the pass well enough to play the hybrid LB/S in the 46 variations of the 3-4 either. So, what does that leave him to do? Ride the pine? Take a roster spot from a rookie that has the attributes that he lacks? Why? Because he has heart? So do a lot of the other guys on this team. The NFL is not a charity. You have to earn your spot on a team. If he is injured every year because he takes a beating against the run, then what good is he? Yes he led the team in tackles the first 3 weeks of the season. Then what happened? He got bowled over and was done for the year. The guy is soft and should be cut. But not because he deserves a chance to try and sign somewhere else, but because he has no place on the team.

+ 1.

I just don't seem him on the team. Plus, didn't they draft and sign a bunch of LB'ers?

+2

This isn't a knock on his talents or on-the-field play, but he just doesn't fit our system. Aren't we doing a disservice to him as an NFL player by keeping him from latching on to a Cover 2 team and continuing his career? Him and McCargo are almost certainly training camp cuts.

:censored: so let's see who the training camp cuts are ...

At this point, he has not taken the roster spot of any draft pick or highly rated rookie free agent. he has been a serviceable player on our defense the last couple of years. I agree that he will probably be amongst the cuts but that is for the coaches not for board speculation but he is a good open field tackler and special teams may be his place on the team.

However, McCargo will really have to be a changed person to escape the first round of camp cuts.

:thumbsup: so let's see who the training camp cuts are ...

At this point, he has not taken the roster spot of any draft pick or highly rated rookie free agent. he has been a serviceable player on our defense the last couple of years. I agree that he will probably be amongst the cuts but that is for the coaches not for board speculation but he is a good open field tackler and special teams may be his place on the team.

However, McCargo will really have to be a changed person to escape the first round of camp cuts.

Good points, however we are on a chat board.

If I were a coach in my 1st year with team, I'd be looking for an underachieving, 1st round pick, DT entering his

5th season with 1 career start to cut the first chance I get.

Send a message and set the tone: get going or get out.

Good thing I'm not an NFL coach! :censored:

I would have said +3…except that Ellison isn't soft. He's small. There's a difference.

That's two shots.

I'll have two also, Beerball. Slide the ashtray down this way, please?

You're right C. Biscuit. For a long long time now I've wanted Ellison replaced. He wasn't big enough or fast enough to cut it. But when it comes down to it, he's put his all into it for us. He did his best when he was called upon. That i can respect. He wasn't lazy. It's almost time for a changing of the guard in his case.

Even tho he was the Little Engine that could/couldn't, i will now always respect the effort he gave us.