Moratorium on deep water drilling lifted

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-22/u...eral-judge.html

Hopefully, the administration hasn't caused too many jobs to be lost.

Now if the government would just allow drilling in shallow water and open up places like ANWR for drilling maybe we could eliminate the next accident a mile under the the ocean surface. BP may be at fault for carelessness but our government's policies certainly contributed to the cause and the subsequent difficulty in stopping the flow and cleaning up the mess. The fact that the captain of our ship was virtually AWOL for weeks and refused help from other nations would make one tend to think that another agenda was more important to him.

Now if the government would just allow drilling in shallow water and open up places like ANWAR for drilling maybe we could eliminate the next accident a mile under the the ocean surface. BP may be at fault for carelessness but our government's policies certainly contributed to the cause and the subsequent difficulty in stopping the flow and cleaning up the mess. The fact that the captain of our ship was virtually AWOL for weeks and refused help from other nations would make one tend to think that another agenda was more important to him.

ANWR

ANWR

ANWR!

Ever notice how libs shutter at the thought of drilling on a secluded barren shore off the coast of Alaska because it may only have a few BILLION barrels of oil, which is too insignificant to consider, yet when they suggest hamstringing the industrialized world to potentially reduce "carbon emissions" by less than 1/10 of 1%, that every little bit counts?

Now if the government would just allow drilling in shallow water and open up places like ANWR for drilling maybe we could eliminate the next accident a mile under the the ocean surface.

I'm shocked this point hasn't been mentioned by the MSM. :unsure:

Ever notice how libs shutter at the thought of drilling on a secluded barren shore off the coast of Alaska because it may only have a few BILLION barrels of oil, which is too insignificant to consider, yet when they suggest hamstringing the industrialized world to potentially reduce "carbon emissions" by less than 1/10 of 1%, that every little bit counts?

ANWR is not offshore. It is probably the safest place in the world to drill for oil, on year round permafrost. They are fighting shallow water offshore drilling off Western Alaska[not related to ANWR] on the grounds that,and I could not make this up,the sound may disturb whales.

ANWR is not offshore. It is probably the safest place in the world to drill for oil, on year round permafrost. They are fighting shallow water offshore drilling off Western Alaska[not related to ANWR] on the grounds that,and I could not make this up,the sound may disturb whales.

Missspeak. I meant to refer to it as an area near the northern shore. Prsonally, though, I'm fine with them drilling anywhere they can do so safely. I was primarily speaking to the assymetrical value given to "every little bit".

I'm shocked this point hasn't been mentioned by the MSM. 0:)

Yes, it is a very simple concept, cleverly ignored by a media, that would rather blame BP for an accident (and deservedly so) than to blame the policymakers for insuring that such an accident would happen.

Yes, it is a very simple concept, cleverly ignored by a media, that would rather blame BP for an accident (and deservedly so) than to blame the policymakers for insuring that such an accident would happen.

Shhhhhhhh. That's a dirty little secret of politics. Politicians rarely understand the leftislation that they are told by their masters to pass. The butterfly effect is usually not pretty.

Now if the government would just allow drilling in shallow water and open up places like ANWR for drilling maybe we could eliminate the next accident a mile under the the ocean surface. BP may be at fault for carelessness but our government's policies certainly contributed to the cause and the subsequent difficulty in stopping the flow and cleaning up the mess. The fact that the captain of our ship was virtually AWOL for weeks and refused help from other nations would make one tend to think that another agenda was more important to him.

Ya know what's really predictable? The fact that each side will use something like this mess to further their respective agendas. On one hand, because of the current oil spill; we have to stop all drilling. On the other, because of the current oil spill; we have to drill in the ANWR.

Neither notion will solve any problems associated with this or future oil spills, but I guess it's convenient.

Damn that document of negative liberties with that system of checks and balances with their separation of powers.

You mean that document which allows for them to push for a moratorium in the first place?

Ya know what's really predictable? The fact that each side will use something like this mess to further their respective agendas. On one hand, because of the current oil spill; we have to stop all drilling. On the other, because of the current oil spill; we have to drill in the ANWR.

Neither notion will solve any problems associated with this or future oil spills, but I guess it's convenient.

Uh, drilling in shallower water or on land won't solve or at least lessen future oil spills? Face it, until alternative energy sources are discovered that are affordable we need to use oil. I'd rather have us producing it rather than Iran or Venezuela. I'd rather we did it and controlled it offshore here rather than Russia or China. There is nothing wrong with a responsible plan to make this country energy independant for not only economic reasons but security reasons.

I will say this, drilling for oil in a location like ANWR for example, definitely would lessen the risk of an environmental disaster that of what we are facing today. Agree?

I will say this, drilling for oil in a location like ANWR for example, definitely would lessen the risk of an environmental disaster that of what we are facing today. Agree?

You obviously value the life in the Gulf of Mexico more than the panoply of life in ANWR.