Best affordable record player

billsfan89

OK I have been looking for a very good record player in the 120-200 dollar range (would like to avoid paying more then 170 but I am willing to go up to 200 if the quality is worth it) I would like it to have an AM/FM tuner but its not a deal breaker by any stretch.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to get or avoid?

OK I have been looking for a very good record player in the 120-200 dollar range (would like to avoid paying more then 170 but I am willing to go up to 200 if the quality is worth it) I would like it to have an AM/FM tuner but its not a deal breaker by any stretch.

the Sony PS series is in that price range, but they have a bad habit of losing speed. Mine kicked down to about 28 rpm making every singer ever sound like Johnny Cash with a stroke. it's some mechanical issue that is essentially unfixable. You should get a couple years out of one though.

The USB turntables are okay, but sound a bit tinny. Also rarely belt driven. Never ever buy a turntable that is not belt driven.

For my money Pioneer puts out the best cheap turn tables.

Also make sure whatever you buy has a built-in preamp...makes life easier.

Please fill out your equipment profile... oops, I thought that this was SHTV.

Actually, there is not much out there today new for that price that is worth a crap. Find a good used Rega or Pro-Ject or an older Pioneer or Technics on Audiogon. I haven't heard of a decent TT with a built in phono pre in quite some time. What will you be plugging this into? It takes a bit (often more than a bit) of fuss to coax the best out of vinyl.

Here's what I spin:

http://www.audiophilia.com/

And edit to add, no am/fm options are available with a turntable nowadays. That will be in the receiver you plug it into.

Please fill out your equipment profile... oops, I thought that this was SHTV.

Actually, there is not much out there today new for that price that is worth a crap. Find a good used Rega or Pro-Ject or an older Pioneer or Technics on Audiogon. I haven't heard of a decent TT with a built in phono pre in quite some time. What will you be plugging this into? It takes a bit (often more than a bit) of fuss to coax the best out of vinyl.

Here's what I spin:

http://www.audiophilia.com/

And edit to add, no am/fm options are available with a turntable nowadays. That will be in the receiver you plug it into.

all of this is true.

But baby steps and all. You can get a decent enough TT for about $125 at any Best Buy type store. If you have a receiver and speakers a half step above nice you'll be doing all right until you become stuffed with money. I've been a hardcore vinyl only snob for about 10 years now and have yet to pony up for one of those high octane setups. I can't wait to....but, y'know. Maybe when my employment status upgrades from fitful to kinda. I run an old mid level Pioneer through an okayish receiver and some who cares level speakers. Last night I listened to the reissue of Disintegration by The Cure and it almost blew my face off. You can make do with the cheap stuff. Also: you should buy the reissue of Disintegration. That is a dense dense record that will never sound right on digital.

If you look around, you can get a lower end Thorens for ~ $400. High-end model is $10k. They make great turntables and the low-end model makes puts the $200 models to shame. Pay a little more and you can get something pretty good.

I know it's more than you want to spend, but I think this is a really cool deal...

Cool automatic Denon turntable with Ortofon cartridge upgrade

It has the advantage of being an automatic turntable with the versatility of a real, quality type tonearm that you can always upgrade with a variety of different cartridge/stylus combos.

My (admittedly limited) experience tells me that all of the low budget turntables are basically interchangeable and that if you move up to the next level, it is more than worth the extra investment.

My very wonderful girlfriend got me this as an early birthday present and I'm extremely happy with it. It sounds so much better than the $140 range turntable I had previously. The service from Needle Doctor is awesome--they know their stuff and they are happy to help you because they love what they do.

Just my opinion, but I love my new toy.

Any way you go, I hope you have tons of fun listening to your records. Really, you cannot lose. :unsure:

Another good resource would be www.audiocircle.com I think they have a "vinyl circle" there where you should find plenty of good help and advice.

So I got a new Harmon Kardon receiver last year and got rid of my old Kenwood receiver. The HK has lots of USB and S video inputs, etc- but there is nothing for my turntable. I need to get a preamp. Any recommendations for a decent but affordable preamp?

Never ever buy a turntable that is not belt driven.

+1

If you look around, you can get a lower end Thorens for ~ $400. High-end model is $10k. They make great turntables and the low-end model makes puts the $200 models to shame. Pay a little more and you can get something pretty good.

ya, if you can afford them, Thorens rock, but put your money into the cartridge, not the TT

great choice, Ortofon has always made very high quality, relatively low cost cartridges. Can't go wrong with Denon TT either

So I got a new Harmon Kardon receiver last year and got rid of my old Kenwood receiver. The HK has lots of USB and S video inputs, etc- but there is nothing for my turntable. I need to get a preamp. Any recommendations for a decent but affordable preamp?

What's your budget?

Never ever buy a turntable that is not belt driven.

There is a whole cult of Technics SL 1200 fans (direct drive) that would burn you at the stake for that comment. While my VPI is belt drive, there are other implementations (a rim drive is available) that work tremendously. Horses for courses, and all that.

There is a whole cult of Technics SL 1200 fans (direct drive) that would burn you at the stake for that comment. While my VPI is belt drive, there are other implementations (a rim drive is available) that work tremendously. Horses for courses, and all that.

nothing wrong with direct drive TTs, but they're louder than belt drive, unless you use a sound dampening mat or something like that. Also, if you use a moving coil cartridge, they can pick up inducted noise from the motor.

If you're a DJ, you have to get direct drive because of the spin-up time is way, way better.

So, if it's audio quality and low noise you want, go with a belt drive. If you're not that picky and you want constant speed, less parts to wear out, and fast spin up, get a direct drive.

Yes, most are right and you should probably, at some point, upgrade to a better TT (preferably a belt-driven TT).

But here's the answer to the question you actually asked:

This is fine and good for the money:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PL...e/dp/B00012EYNG

AT actually makes a belt-driven TT that is a bit less expensive (not sure about the quality of the phono preamp on this one):

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Aut...5855&sr=8-2

You aren't likely to find a high-quality TT at your price point..at least not a new one. The AT TT will do a decent job, though.

And, if you can find a little extra scratch, this Rega P1 comes with an Ortofon cartridge and is $395 with free shipping. This would be the only TT you will need to buy, IMO, as it is good enough for most any system, really. Only if you decided to go really high end would you need to upgrade this TT, IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Rega-Turntable-Ortof...e/dp/B003BK4JCG

Last year i bought on Technics TT for 40 bucks on craigslist . Nice TT with the cover and 33rpm insert piece. I could tell it was barely used and covered up. All I needed for it was a amp to hook it up to my stereo system.

I think if your on a budget Craigslist or Ebay will have some good ones.

under $200

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=74

Do a display by price, low to high. There's a NAD that's $129, and a Cambridge and Vincent that are slightly more. NAD makes decent stuff, Cambridge, too. I'm not familiar with Vincent.

Try to get one with switchable MM/MC gain. That will cover any cartridge that you choose.

I'm still working off an Onkyo from a million years ago, and I swear by it. And old habits die hard - screw belt drives. I'm a direct drive guy all the way. But the critical piece is the cartridge. Good luck on THAT. Mine is a Shure, but to be truthful, I don't use it a lot, and haven't had to replace it for a long time. Wish I had "The Answer" for you, but no such luck. Just another view point.