USSR Ver. 2.0

sorry that was the best quote:

“What had seemed untouchable has collapsed. The bubbles that created the illusion of flourishing economies have burst,” Mr Medvedev said. “For Russia this situation is a challenge and an opportunity. We are living in a unique time. And we should use it to build a modern, flourishing and strong Russia . . . which will be a co-founder of the new world economic order and a full participant in the collective political leadership of the post-crisis world.”

When anyone uses the word collective with a straight face bad things happen. There is pressure to form a cartel of political and economic pressure, but also pressure to break a cartel. When a cartel as big as a world governmental collective breaks, watch out.

Empires collapse, that's what happens - they overreach and overspend - they have hubris and try to control the uncontrollably- the costs and benefits from empire are unequally distributed, eventually there is internal strife and the empire withdraws from the foreign to deal with the domestic -and at this time other countries think about expansion because no one really thinks the lessons of history applies to them.

Empires collapse, that's what happens - they overreach and overspend - they have hubris and try to control the uncontrollably- the costs and benefits from empire are unequally distributed, eventually there is internal strife and the empire withdraws from the foreign to deal with the domestic -and at this time other countries think about expansion because no one really thinks the lessons of history applies to them.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage.

Truer words have never been written. Where'd you find that one?

Truer words have never been written. Where'd you find that one?

He got it from Reagan (or a mass email from the 2000 campaign). Which may or may not be a quote from British lawyer Alexander Fraser Tytler (1800). No copy of the text older than 1951 exists, so we don't exactly know it's origin with any certainty. Many variants of the quote exist but he quoted the most common version.

It's literally very possible the quote was just made up in 1951 by an op ed writer from The Daily Oklahoman and falsely attributed to Tytler. Republicans do love to modify history like that.

He got it from Reagan (or a mass email from the 2000 campaign). Which may or may not be a quote from British lawyer Alexander Fraser Tytler (1800). No copy of the text older than 1951 exists, so we don't exactly know it's origin with any certainty. Many variants of the quote exist but he quoted the most common version.

It's literally very possible the quote was just made up in 1951 by an op ed writer from The Daily Oklahoman and falsely attributed to Tytler. Republicans do love to modify history like that.

Granted whoever said it first, be it some rube from Oklahoma City or a dead white guy in Europe, does not have the same gravitas as Bill Nye. But what are your thoughts on the context of the quote?

You are unbelievable.

Yeah, this post is trash.

But what are your thoughts on the context of the quote?

I can't read the ft.com article. The quote alone strikes me as neither true nor false. I have no particular quarrel with it. It may be true. I don't feel like our country is even close to collapsing due to fiscal policy, and Obama is not a contributor to making things worse.

I can't read the ft.com article. The quote alone strikes me as neither true nor false. I have no particular quarrel with it. It may be true. I don't feel like our country is even close to collapsing due to fiscal policy, and Obama is not a contributor to making things worse.

I could call you a liar and a sophist, but the world is full of them, and that would probably make you attempt to rebut me, which would be painful to read. Beyond that, you dont get to hijack this topic.

As far as the original intent of the subject, I think we have reached a point of globalization and income disparity that make borders and nation states less important than the larger struggle battle between the ruling elite and have nots. The ruling elites are international and have an incentive to protect each other, and no real incentive to represent us.

As far as the original intent of the subject, I think we have reached a point of globalization and income disparity that make borders and nation states less important than the larger struggle battle between the ruling elite and have nots. The ruling elites are international and have an incentive to protect each other, and no real incentive to represent us.

Whose side are you on then? Presumably you are on the side of the "have nots", which *should* mean you support dropping Bush's tax cuts for the rich, and cracking down on the wealthy corporations with some regulations. But if you don't want these things - then what is your solution to the problem at hand?

Unfortunately, It seems that Europe, and Asia believe we are in a decline that we will not pull out of. This leaves a perceived power or influence void in Eurasia in which Russia and China are positioning themselves to fill. Thats not to say these countries don't already have a lot of influence but without the US balancing them out they will be free to get more heavy handed in the future.

Will need the US to be strong