(OT) FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!

Buftex

WOW! I just went to see "Friday Night Lights" tonight. Has anyone else seen this movie? I would have to say it may be one of the very best sports films (definitley the best football movie) I have ever seen! I was skeptical. The book was so great, I thought the film would just get it all wrong. I know high school football is more a religion in some areas than others (here in Austin, TX it is huge, right behind the Longhorns, bigger than pro-ball). It manages to (mostly) avoid the brutal stupid jock and feel good cliches that football movies suffer from. And, the game sequences were amazing. If Oliver Stone saw this movie before he made that piece of crap "Any Given Sunday" he wouldn't have bothered. This is the movie that Stone wanted to make, but couldn't. It it likely only cost a fraction to make. And the best thing, it is a true story!

Billy Bob Thornton was terrific, as was Tim McGraw (the country singer does a Dwight Yoakam/Sling Blade "bad dad" turn), and the rest of unknowns in the cast. If you ever played high school ball, or even little leauge, it will bring back some fond, and not so fond memories. If you haven't seen it, you should see this movie. I highly recommend it.

I'm just going to wait until it hits one of the P2P engines, then I'm going to steal it.

142273[/snapback]

Hey AD, funny, I thought of you during the movie. There was a humorous reference to Alaska. Alos, an interesting little twist on Thurman misplacing his helmet on the sideline...gotta investigate Kenneth Davis!

Hey AD, funny, I thought of you during the movie. There was a humorous reference to Alaska.  Alos, an interesting little twist on Thurman misplacing his helmet on the sideline...gotta investigate Kenneth Davis!

142276[/snapback]

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing it. As soon as it's out on video so I can rent it.