BP oil well

I've been reading the articles reprinted from the Oil Drum through this whole process. This one seems to put the pieces together on why BP can never stop the leak short of a miracle shot of a relief well.

This link regarding how deepwater wells are drilled has also been helpful to me.

I feel like this article was useful in understanding what happened and likely, what will happen. If correct, no way $20 bil is enough from BP. Not even close.

I want to know.....what kind of engineers can miss their estimates by 1200% ??

They were saying 5k a day at most. It is 60k.

Either:

1) They were lying and shouldn't be trusted

or

2) They are horrible at what they do

I didn't pay much attention at first, but this is starting to look like something mother nature needs to fix.

I want to know.....what kind of engineers can miss their estimates by 1200% ??

They were saying 5k a day at most. It is 60k.

Either:

1) They were lying and shouldn't be trusted

or

2) They are horrible at what they do

I didn't pay much attention at first, but this is starting to look like something mother nature needs to fix.

It's pretty easy to do in an unprecedented situation where you can't immediately and directly observe the fault.

I know. But as a depiction of past oilmen, Plainview was a fascinating character.

"Fascinating" does not equal "realistic".

Really...try not to be completely dense. Even conner has the basic decency to reference real people.

"Fascinating" does not equal "realistic".

Really...try not to be completely dense. Even conner has the basic decency to reference real people.

I'm glad you said that.

I was about to post a link comparing the BP chairman to Darth Vader.

If anyone wants a lesson on why our government is so embarrasingly stupid and inefficient, listen to the hearings today.

Congresscritter 1: Mr. Hayward, I have a document here which states that BP is committed to the highest standards in oil drilling safety. Do you believe that the current disaster met that criteria?

Hayward: No.

Congresscritter 1: Are you aware there were over 760 safety violations against BP in the past year?

Hayward: Yes, I am.

Congresscritter 1: Would it be safe to say that BP is responsible for this disaster?

Hayward: Yes.

Congresscritter 1: Thank you. I yield my time.

Congresscritter 2: Mr. Hayward, I have a document her that shows BP has over 760 safety violations against them in the past year. Are you aware of this?

Congresscritter 2: And yet you claim that BP is committed to the highest standards of safety?

Congresscritter 2: But it would seem that's not the case in the gulf, would it?

Hayward: No.

Congresscritter 2: So it's safe to say that BP will be responsible for this disaster?

Congresscritter 2: I yield my time.

Congresscritter 3: Mr. Hayward, are you of the mind that BP is responsible for this disaster?

Just embarrassing. How anyone thinks this is a valuable use of time is beyond me. But hey, at least everyone gets a photo op with the 800lb gorilla in the room.

I appreciate what Barton is saying, but this is one of those things better said somewhere else at some other time. There was no upside to his comments.

I think its great Barton is sticking up for the little guy! If the Gangsta Obama could only see the justice of allowing this to get bogged down in the courts to drag out for years, these morons that were hurt by the oil spill could give up, some would die, others would lose hope and take a lower settlement and then the appeals process could start and an oil friendly judge could in the end save BP billions by summarily reducing the so-called damages. That's the American way! Not this redistribution of wealth crap

I think its great Barton is sticking up for the little guy! If the Gangsta Obama could only see the justice of allowing this to get bogged down in the courts to drag out for years, these morons that were hurt by the oil spill could give up, some would die, others would lose hope and take a lower settlement and then the appeals process could start and an oil friendly judge could in the end save BP billions by summarily reducing the so-called damages. That's the American way! Not this redistribution of wealth crap

Way to misinterpret, Conner.

Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.