Opitmistic but doubtful!? Can you say contradictatory?

First off I'm optimistic on the direction of the "New Buffalo Bills", just for the fact they seem to have direction. It remains to be seen, but I think Nix and Gailey will turn out to be good hires. I think the move to 3-4 will be a very good move, with the key word "will be".

Unlike many on the board I see our defensive backfield as a question mark, rather than a strength, as there isn't enough speed at the corner's to play man consistantly. Mc Gee has had injury problems and seems to be best in zone coverage. Drayton is solid and was a good addition, but Mc Lovin while showing promise, is coming off an injury. Can Byrd continue his success from last year while having a greater impact in run support? Will there be solid play from the OLB position's?

Now on Offense, where do I start? Will our OL be a revolving door again this year? I think there is potential there but it needs a chance to develope. Will C J Spiller play more like Johnson, or Bush? It's ironic that Johnson was dismissed as not being to handle a full work load and Bush was the heir apparrent to the "Greatest Running Back throne" and look where that has gone. Will we find a legitimate #2 wide out? And finally will one of the heads of our three headed monster at QB step up? Again unlike many on this board I believe ML is still a strong option, if he returns to his form of two seasons ago but wonder if he will be long term. If he is moved perhaps a deal could be worked out with the Raiders as they have been looking to move Asomugha. That would certainly answer one question on D.

Sorry if I rambled on. Just looking for some thoughts.

Yeah, but Reggie Corner can play too, and Youboty has played very well when he is healthy and focused. We can play three safeties, and whitner is as good as a corner in man to man coverage, so I do think we will be ok in the defensive backfield.

I am hopeful that Brett Johnson makes the practice squad or makes a team somewhere in the NFL. I think he might be an overlooked talent.

Yeah, but Reggie Corner can play too, and Youboty has played very well when he is healthy and focused. We can play three safeties, and whitner is as good as a corner in man to man coverage, so I do think we will be ok in the defensive backfield.

I am hopeful that Brett Johnson makes the practice squad or makes a team somewhere in the NFL. I think he might be an overlooked talent.

It's the lack of speed in most of our corners that worries me. These guys can play but are they better suited for a zone Defense? I hope I'm pleasantly surprised this season.

First off I'm optimistic on the direction of the "New Buffalo Bills", just for the fact they seem to have direction. It remains to be seen, but I think Nix and Gailey will turn out to be good hires. I think the move to 3-4 will be a very good move, with the key word "will be".

Unlike many on the board I see our defensive backfield as a question mark, rather than a strength, as there isn't enough speed at the corner's to play man consistantly. Mc Gee has had injury problems and seems to be best in zone coverage. Drayton is solid and was a good addition, but Mc Lovin while showing promise, is coming off an injury. Can Byrd continue his success from last year while having a greater impact in run support? Will there be solid play from the OLB position's?

Now on Offense, where do I start? Will our OL be a revolving door again this year? I think there is potential there but it needs a chance to develope. Will C J Spiller play more like Johnson, or Bush? It's ironic that Johnson was dismissed as not being to handle a full work load and Bush was the heir apparrent to the "Greatest Running Back throne" and look where that has gone. Will we find a legitimate #2 wide out? And finally will one of the heads of our three headed monster at QB step up? Again unlike many on this board I believe ML is still a strong option, if he returns to his form of two seasons ago but wonder if he will be long term. If he is moved perhaps a deal could be worked out with the Raiders as they have been looking to move Asomugha. That would certainly answer one question on D.

Sorry if I rambled on. Just looking for some thoughts.

As soon as you said "I see our defensive backfield as a question mark, rather than a strength", I stopped reading.

As soon as you said "I see our defensive backfield as a question mark, rather than a strength", I stopped reading.

You're aware that players do not seamlessly transition into defenses? Terrence McGee admitted that it's frustrating to learn a new defense, especially one so different than the T2 where corners have the short zone coverage. And while the safeties have some talent, Whitner isn't particularly adept at anything and Byrd had a good season in pass coverage and not much in run defense. Scott is a nice depth player, and Wilson seems to be emerging for a SS. Then again, strong safeties are somewhat being phased out if they can't cover.

You're aware that players do not seamlessly transition into defenses? Terrence McGee admitted that it's frustrating to learn a new defense, especially one so different than the T2 where corners have the short zone coverage. And while the safeties have some talent, Whitner isn't particularly adept at anything and Byrd had a good season in pass coverage and not much in run defense. Scott is a nice depth player, and Wilson seems to be emerging for a SS. Then again, strong safeties are somewhat being phased out if they can't cover.

I'm simply saying that with all the questions that have to be answered by this team. The secondary is the least of them, let alone believing its a weakness.

It's the lack of speed in most of our corners that worries me. These guys can play but are they better suited for a zone Defense? I hope I'm pleasantly surprised this season.

Sure, if McGee or McKelvin are injured or maybe even just nicked up a bit, their speed may not be there. But wouldn't this be the same for any CB? McGee and McKelvin weren't the great Kickoff return men they were (and hopefully still are) because they ran 4.7 40's. Both have excellent speed. Ability to cover man for man may be of some concern, but speed isn't something I see them lacking.

Sure, if McGee or McKelvin are injured or maybe even just nicked up a bit, their speed may not be there. But wouldn't this be the same for any CB? McGee and McKelvin weren't the great Kickoff return men they were (and hopefully still are) because they ran 4.7 40's. Both have excellent speed. Ability to cover man for man may be of some concern, but speed isn't something I see them lacking.

I agree McKelvin has great speed but don't know for sure at this point in his career how much McGee has left. Also he has struggled with man coverage assignments in the past and has been frequently injured. I was mostly refering to our backups speed if and when they are called on.

I'm simply saying that with all the questions that have to be answered by this team. The secondary is the least of them, let alone believing its a weakness.

How about this then? Do you think Kelsay and/or Maybin are going to be decent in coverage? Do you think the loss of Aaron Schobel will have an effect on an already feeble pass rush? Is standing up really going to make a huge difference for Maybin, who barely registered a tackle let alone any pressure on a QB and heaven forbid a sack or any havoc as a rookie?

The defensive front is a huge question mark, and the strength of the team was not at LB last year (they ended the season playing a SS at LB). Hopefully, the rookies and free agents will help with the gutting of the front 7.

But, the secondary is also being asked to transition right along with the rest of the defense. And, though I credit Jauron with drafting and developing a quality stable of DBs for his Tampa-2 scheme, it is an unknown if all of these guys will be as effective in the new scheme. And if the front 7 turns into a train wreck, it may not even matter or be noticed.