Yanks tell D-backs

Thailog80

GOOD!!

Stop worrying about the Old But Great Unit and go after another pitcher (Tim Hudson, perhaps?!?!)

142164[/snapback]

That's actually what I wish St. Louis would do. Randy Johnson can still pitch and is worth 1 or 2 prospects with the current situation being as it is.

Arizona better quit messing around because once the season starts the demand goes down, at the trading deadline they will be lucky to get much because everyone KNOWS he will walk after next year.

St. Louis needs to see what it would take for one of the big 3 in Oakland.

Arizona doesn't want "prospects" from the Yankees. They want Vazquez & Posada + they want NY to pick up some of Vazquez's salary. All that for an all-time ugly team 42 year old pitcher who makes $16 million. No thanks.

On the other hand that could also mean that one or two of the following pitchers are going to sign with the Yankees- Pedro, Pavano, Milton, Lieber. Or that NY is going to trade Vazquez to Texas for Soriano. Or that Vazquez will be going to Oakland along with some of those "prospects" for one of Oakland's big three pitchers.

Regardless, it's been awful quiet in the big leagues and there are tons of free agents out there. Only 77 shopping days left until Spring Training. I expect players to start moving very quickly.

Arizona doesn't want "prospects" from the Yankees. They want Vazquez & Posada + they want NY to pick up some of Vazquez's salary. All that for an all-time ugly team 42 year old pitcher who makes $16 million. No thanks.

On the other hand that could also mean that one or two of the following pitchers are going to sign with the Yankees- Pedro, Pavano, Milton, Lieber. Or that NY is going to trade Vazquez to Texas for Soriano. Or that Vazquez will be going to Oakland along with some of those "prospects" for one of Oakland's big three pitchers.

Regardless, it's been awful quiet in the big leagues and there are tons of free agents out there. Only 77 shopping days left until Spring Training. I expect players to start moving very quickly.

142193[/snapback]

Why would Texas want to trade Soriano away? He had a great season and the Yankees got robbed in that deal. Yeah I know A Rod had a good year, but for what Texas wanted and what NY wanted, Texas got the better deal.

I don't know why the Yanks are in such a big hurry to dump Javier. His name is mentioned in every trade. He was one of the best pitchers in the bigs before Mel got his mitts on him. What is he, 28? If he goes somewhere else the Yanks will regret it for 10 years.

I don't know why the Yanks are in such a big hurry to dump Javier.  His name is mentioned in every trade.  He was one of the best pitchers in the bigs before Mel got his mitts on him.  What is he, 28?  If he goes somewhere else the Yanks will regret it for 10 years.

142209[/snapback]

To George 10 years is like a century. So glad he's back and involved. :P

Why would Texas want to trade Soriano away?  He had a great season and the Yankees got robbed in that deal.  Yeah I know A Rod had a good year, but for what Texas wanted and what NY wanted, Texas got the better deal.

142197[/snapback]

There was a "rumor" that was floated out after the Arod/Sori trade that the Yanks had a handshake deal with Sori. Basically it was rumored that they Yanks said they would sign Sori next year (when he becomes a FA, he only has one year left on his deal) to big money and bring him back to NY.

Sori is going to demand BIG money next off season. Texas wants to trade him and get something for him before he flies the coop.

I'm not saying I believe in the handshake story, but knowing the Yankees, it wouldn't surprise me. So don't be too quick to say the Yanks got robbed. They may very well have both Arod and Sori back in the fold in a year or two with the Rangers still paying a large chunk of Arod's salary.

There was a "rumor" that was floated out after the Arod/Sori trade that the Yanks had a handshake deal with Sori. Basically it was rumored that they Yanks said they would sign Sori next year (when he becomes a FA, he only has one year left on his deal) to big money and bring him back to NY.

Sori is going to demand BIG money next off season. Texas wants to trade him and get something for him before he flies the coop.

I'm not saying I believe in the handshake story, but knowing the Yankees, it wouldn't surprise me. So don't be too quick to say the Yanks got robbed. They may very well have both Arod and Sori back in the fold in a year or two with the Rangers still paying a large chunk of Arod's salary.

142230[/snapback]

If that story were true (I highly doubt the validity of it) the Yankees should be eliminated from the game. That would be the ultimate disgrace to the game of baseball. If ANY team did that it would be about the worst thing imagineable to me.

If that story were true (I highly doubt the validity of it) the Yankees should be eliminated from the game.  That would be the ultimate disgrace to the game of baseball.  If ANY team did that it would be about the worst thing imagineable to me.

142289[/snapback]

I think it's brilliant! Just win baby!!!

THe Yanks do not have the prospects for Hudson, THe A's are looking for prospect & low paid promising arms. The best fit would be the SOX. Sox have Arroyo & 3b Youkillis & 2-3 pitching prospect that Billy Beane coverts.

GOOD!!

Stop worrying about the Old But Great Unit and go after another pitcher (Tim Hudson, perhaps?!?!)

142164[/snapback]

If that story were true (I highly doubt the validity of it) the Yankees should be eliminated from the game.  That would be the ultimate disgrace to the game of baseball.  If ANY team did that it would be about the worst thing imagineable to me.

142289[/snapback]

Come on BF you think the Yanks are the only team that has ever used the handshake or wink wink type deals?

I think that it means that they are going to sign Pedro and don't need Randy.

:w00t:

142407[/snapback]

No No No.........it means they're telling Arizona that the trade demands they made are unrealistic.

Randy would be nice but not at the expense of overpaying. Even the Yanks have financial limitations.....believe it or not.

This was in the NY Post this AM.

By George King

December 2, 2004 -- What didn't work in July isn't clicking in December, either, when it comes to trading Randy Johnson to the Yankees.

According to sources in and out of the Yankees' organization, the talks between the Diamondbacks and the Bombers have reached an impasse because the Yankees believe the Diamondbacks are being unrealistic in their asking price for the 41-year-old future Hall of Famer, whom they promised to do their best to trade to a contender.

The deal has hit a wall even though the only place Arizona can move Johnson is to the Yankees, who are willing to trade Javier Vazquez and aren't against extending Johnson's contract for 2006 at the cost of $16 million.

The Red Sox and Cardinals don't have the starting pitching Arizona craves, and the Angels are saving their money for free-agent center fielder Carlos Beltran.

Though the Yankees and D'backs couldn't get together at the July 31 trade deadline and are locked in a stalemate four months later, the deal could still get done.

But the Diamondbacks are going to have to lower their sights, and they run the risk of nudging the Yankees toward free agents Pedro Martinez and Carl Pavano. The Yanks have not made an offer to Martinez or Pa vano.

Arizona made four proposals — two before the Yankees countered and two after. None of them were acceptable, and the Diamondbacks didn't believe the Yankees' offer was enough to make a deal.

Vazquez was in all five proposals, with the Yankees willing to pay a "substantial" part of the $19.5 million difference between Johnson's $16 million and the $35.5 million remaining on Vazquez's contract.

The Diamondbacks are expected to spin off Vazquez at some point because he can demand a trade after the 2005 season and he doesn't think much of Arizona CEO Jeff Moorad, whom Vazquez fired as his agent two years ago.

Arizona's first two proposals broke down this way:

Arizona wanted Vazquez, $19.5 million, and the Yankees to acquire one of 10 major league pitchers and include them in the deal, and four or five of the Yankees' top prospects.

The list of pitchers the Diamondbacks wanted the Yankees to get for them is as follows: Edwin Jackson, Scott Kazmir, Barry Zito, Kenny Rogers, Jason Jennings, Shawn Chacon, Ted Lilly, Jeremy Bonderman, Tim Hudson and A.J. Burnett.

When the Yankees scoffed at that, the Diamondbacks asked for Vazquez, $19.5 million, reliever Tom Gordon and prospects.

The Yankees countered by offering Vazquez, a "substantial part" of the $19.5 million, lefties Brad Halsey and Alex Graman, and 20-year-old left-handed prospect Abel Gomez.

That wasn't good enough for the Diamondbacks.

They asked for Vazquez, Gordon, Halsey and the $19.5 million. Later they requested Vazquez, Gordon, Halsey, infield prospects Eric Duncan and Robinson Cano, outfield prospect Rudy Guillen, plus the $19.5 million.

As usual, there is a middle ground to be reached, and because the Yankees have targeted Johnson as their No. 1 pitching priority this winter and the Diamondbacks don't have options, the Diamondbacks will lower their demands and move on with rebuilding the worst team in the majors.