OT: DVD burning software

TracyLee

Yes, a FELONY.  The 1997 NET Act prohibits willfull participation in the "reproduction or distribution" of copyrighted works without permission, when that activity is not covered by fair use rights.  Which P2P filesharing isn't.  You could be fined up to $250K AND spend 3 years in jail.  No biggie.

John Ashcroft began serving warrants in July of 2003.  Just because you haven't seen it in your local newspaper doesn't mean it isn't happening.  The best part is, YOU'LL be liable for it too. 

You keep telling your son that stealing things he should be buying is OK and thinking that he's well adjusted because of it.  You're the one taking food off the plates of the union employees who work on those films and depend on people being honest enough to attend theaters, rent the videos at the local store, or purchase a legal licensed copy from a reputable retailer.  But I'm the miserable hateful prick.  :doh:

142071[/snapback]

Darrin, you ARE miserable and hateful, but that's OK. You're right in this instance. I support your view!

ITS LEGAL!!!!!!

her son is not paying anyone else, and no one is making money, it is technically legal.

now if you no-fun, stuffy, up-tight parents want to point the judgement finger, by all means go ahead.  but like it or not, its legal, the "industry"'s lawyers just got you to fall in line behind their scare tactics.  They're just worried about cash, not the laws, get off your high-horses.  cause i'll tell you what, if you think youre gonna be that stick in raising a daughter she's gonna end up a stripper.  no offense, but thats how this sh-- works.

143658[/snapback]

No, it still constitutes distribution. The act of distribution does not have to include financial gain.

I'm not just making this sh-- up; I happened to be talking with my attorney yesterday, and asked her about this.

I can guarantee that if you reported each copyright infringement that you see on eBay that they'd pull the auctions.

143838[/snapback]

Unless you're:

a "power seller" who generates a lot of $$$ for them AND

most of your stuff is legit AND

you're fairly discreet about what you're selling.

If you meet those 3 conditions,

I've seen them look the other way.

and I read the....whole....thing. What's become of my life? :doh:

I am a little confused though as to how some of you think it immoral to steal but moral to kill a harmless doof like BF for stealing a DVD.

143719[/snapback]

I don't think it's moral to kill someone for stealing a DVD. I do think the use of force against someone who breaks into my home is moral, however.

Unless you're:

a "power seller" who generates a lot of $$$ for them AND

most of your stuff is legit AND

you're fairly discreet about what you're selling.

If you meet those 3 conditions,

I've seen them look the other way.

143851[/snapback]

Yeah, I suppose that's true...

CW

III. Suits Against Individuals

Unless and until the Kazaa decision is overruled, copyright owners are faced with the unenviable choice to which I referred earlier. They can either resign themselves to unremedied infringements on a previously unimaginable scale, or they can file infringement actions against individual peer-to-peer users. The recording industry has chosen the latter route.

While copyright owners have expressed regret that they have felt compelled to take this step, they need offer no apologies. As I have already said, people who use peer-to-peer technology for the unauthorized reproduction or distribution of copyrighted works are breaking the law. Surprisingly, many people do not appear to realize this. I have long advocated more public education about copyright. In a perfect world, this could be done in classrooms and with billboards. But ours is not a perfect world, and public education can also be accomplished through enforcement of copyright.

The threats of litigation and even the publicity about the subpoenas obtained by the RIAA have made clear to everyone that the so-called “file-sharing” of copyrighted works is not an innocent activity without legal consequences. As a result, it is becoming more and more difficult for people engaged in such activity to claim that they did not know what they were doing is against the law. Of course, for some users of peer-to-peer technology, even knowledge that what they are doing is illegal will not be a sufficient disincentive to engage in such conduct. But whether or not these infringers know or care that it is against the law, the knowledge that such conduct may lead to expensive and burdensome litigation and a potentially large judgment should have a healthy deterrent effect. While we would like to think that everyone obeys the law simply because it is the law and out of a sense of obligation, we also know that laws without penalties may be widely ignored. For many people, the best form of education about copyright in the internet world is the threat of litigation. In short, if you break the law, you should be prepared to accept the consequences. Copyright owners have every right to enforce their rights in court, whether they are taking action against providers of peer-to-peer services designed to profit from copyright infringement or against the persons engaging in individual acts of infringement using such services.

BTW, downloaded the Collateral DVD from the alt.binaries.dvdr NG yesterday

(stripped of all extra features).

It comes out on December 14th...

I was on the fence whether or not to buy it,

but after watching the downloaded copy,

I'll now be picking it up.

Downloading movies can also help the industry.:D:doh:

I can guarantee that if you reported each copyright infringement that you see on eBay that they'd pull the auctions.

143838[/snapback]

I have personal knowledge that what you mention will happen. Luckily they (EBay) didn't cancel my account for one auction.

Just curious if someone made a post that FINALLY convinced you that this is NOT legal would you have your son stop?

143873[/snapback]

No. It's file sharing. But I do not allow him to share HIS files. I've never shared my files either, when downloading music. I also do not allow him to make copies for anyone else. It's only for his own personal use. He understands this. I personally do not have KaZaa on my laptop, nor does my husband have it on his computer, simply because that program takes over everything and causes more problems than it's worth.

Some on here have blown this way out of proportion. We're talking about a 15 year-old kid who is in school all day, comes home and does his homework and then has hockey games or practices EVERY day for any one of the three different hockey teams he's on. He also has out-of-town hockey tournaments at least one weekend a month. He's lucky if he gets one or two hours a day on his computer. If he wants to download a couple movies here and there to pass the many hours he spends traveling back and forth to hockey, then no, I don't have a problem with that.

whether or not this "issue" is legal or not is not why I even joined this thread...people can download or not, that's their choice, just like they can do drugs or not...It doesn't change my opinion of someone.

I joined in because they was a helluva lot of judgements being thrown about. You guys don't know sh-- about this person but you are making huge generalizations about her parenting based on this one snapshot. I'm sure none of you are without some sin...well, exect apparently Father Teresa...and I'm quite sure that you would not like being judged on a small portion of your behavior.

No. It's file sharing. But I do not allow him to share HIS files.  I've never shared my files either, when downloading music.  I also do not allow him to make copies for anyone else.  It's only for his own personal use. He understands this. I personally do not have KaZaa on my laptop, nor does my husband have it on his computer, simply because that program takes over everything and causes more problems than it's worth.

Some on here have blown this way out of proportion.  We're talking about a 15 year-old kid who is in school all day, comes home and does his homework and then has hockey games or practices EVERY day for any one of the three different hockey teams he's on. He also has out-of-town hockey tournaments at least one weekend a month.  He's lucky if he gets one or two hours a day on his computer.  If he wants to download a couple movies here and there to pass the many hours he spends traveling back and forth to hockey, then no, I don't have a problem with that.

143933[/snapback]

Ok, I figured it out.

If your son is on a travel hockey team, and doesn't have much free time, stealing movies is OK.

If your son is lazy and has all the free time in the world, he is not to download anything.

I actually think that's in the Constitution, but I'll get back to you.

whether or not this "issue" is legal or not is not why I even joined this thread...people can download or not, that's their choice, just like they can do drugs or not...It doesn't change my opinion of someone. 

I joined in because they was a helluva lot of judgements being thrown about.  You guys don't know sh-- about this person but you are making huge generalizations about her parenting based on this one snapshot.  I'm sure none of you are without some sin...well, exect apparently Father Teresa...and I'm quite sure that you would not like being judged on a small portion of your behavior.

143944[/snapback]

Well I never judged her parenting skills...not my place...I was curious. I know I am far from a perfect parent so who am I to judge...I just don't have to deal with something like this yet my kids are only 4 and 1...That being said I don't agree with it but I'm sure she could find things she doesn't agree with with the way I raise my kids...

No. It's file sharing. But I do not allow him to share HIS files.  I've never shared my files either, when downloading music.  I also do not allow him to make copies for anyone else.  It's only for his own personal use. He understands this. I personally do not have KaZaa on my laptop, nor does my husband have it on his computer, simply because that program takes over everything and causes more problems than it's worth.

That wasn't the question. The question was, if you found out that his downloading of songs/movies/etc WAS illegal, would you tell him not to do it?

We understand that you don't think it's illegal (even though you've been given tons of examples to the contrary). But if you believed that it were, would you care?

CW

I joined in because they was a helluva lot of judgements being thrown about.  You guys don't know sh-- about this person but you are making huge generalizations about her parenting based on this one snapshot.  I'm sure none of you are without some sin...well, exect apparently Father Teresa...and I'm quite sure that you would not like being judged on a small portion of your behavior.

143944[/snapback]

NG be a little more specific. I have never questioned her parenting skills. I have repeatedly however shown from federal websites that it is highly illegal, and can be fined up to $30,000 per violation. Since Kazaa has their EULA and not able to be shutdown by law, the MPAA and FBI is going after the "little people" with a vengance. They are apparrently serving up about 600 or so suits and arrests per month of the "little folks". Age does not matter, be you a 12 year old girl, 70 year old widow or 15 year old boy, they have to go after the individuals to stop the illegal activity.