OT: DVD burning software

TracyLee

I'm one of those odd people that for some reason has some stupid built in ethics alarm. I stuck a key chain in my pocket once while shopping a few years back because I had my hands full with something else, forgot about it and checked out. When I found it again when I got to the car, I went back in and payed for it.

At what point do little "harmless" activities give way to accepting things that are not quite as harmless? This is not a slap at Tracey Lee for her parenting, she's by no means the lone ranger here, but sort of an indictment in general as this has become a common and prevelant attitude apparantly not only within our youth, but our society as a whole.

The mind set is what is bothersome to me. How many kids think it's perfectly acceptable to cheat on tests? The heck with learning the subject matter. Some of them grow up to be the folks claiming their dog as a tax deduction. Things like the internet confuse the situation by making it easier to steal. Having the means to do something shouldn't automatically be construed as permission to do it. Could vs. should. Yeah, many (most?) CD's/Movies/whatever are crappy and overpriced anyway and it's not ax murder-but the rationalization part doesn't necessarily stop there.

142320[/snapback]

Another great response, thank you.

This is all very interesting...now if I buy a book or a magazine and read it, then share it with a friend, then they share it with a friend and so on is that illegal?

142524[/snapback]

Most magazines have in their title pages a limitation on the number of copies that you can make of a single article. One time I through Rick Reily in SI had a great article and wanted to copy it for the parents in my church. I e-mailed him and asked about making copies and he responded that I could make 25 before needing to request additional copies -- then it would probably be for a fee.

No, sharing a single copy of a magazine is not illegal, nor is it illegal for me to share my copy of the Star Wars Trilogy.

Go back and read one of my last posts, I said less than 100 and I said he doesn't share, it's for his own personal use.  His computer is not on 24/7, (he does have a life, unlike some) and he's not distributing any files to others.  Call it whatever suits your fancy, I along with millions of other people, call it sharing files.  To me, it's no different than taping a movie off the tv.  Did you know that Sony sells mp3 players?  And they also sell blank cd-rw's, cd-r's, dvd-rw's and dvd-r's?  BLANK! How stupid do you think they are? They cash in on the very things they are against. Isn't it ironic?

142978[/snapback]

After reading the whole thread I don't understand the debate. What your son does is not legal, period. You may not think it's a big deal, to each his own I guess.

After reading the whole thread I don't understand the debate.  What your son does is illegally, period.  You may not think it's a big deal and to each his own I guess but debating what is legal and what isn't is irrelavant this is.

143314[/snapback]

Hoooooly crap... when you said "What your son does is illegally" is figured I'd let that slide, but what the hell is that last grouping of words? It sure as hell is NOT a sentence!

Hoooooly crap... when you said "What your son does is illegally" is figured I'd let that slide, but what the hell is that last grouping of words? It sure as hell is NOT a sentence!

143325[/snapback]

Dang that did suck...It's hard typing with a one year old on your lap hitting the keys. :lol:

Dang that did suck...It's hard typing with a one year old on your lap hitting the keys. :lol:

143330[/snapback]

Sorry man - I normally can't stand when people point out things like that, but yours was way off (especially the addition of "this is" for no apparent reason at the end!). But I agree with your point.

After going through this whole thread, I cannot believe that someone wants this to be a Bills only board.

Here is a "hypothetical" situation:

Say somebody asks you to buy them tickets to a Bills game and will pay you at the game.  Then that person never shows up sticking with you for the price of the tickets...is that illegal?

143122[/snapback]

No it would be more like jumping the gate at a game. Some people do it, some get caught, some don't. Hell it's only a 45 dollar ticket whats the big deal. They have the game whether I jump the gate or not.

After reading the whole thread I don't understand the debate.  What your son does is not legal, period.  You may not think it's a big deal, to each his own I guess.

143314[/snapback]

One of the problems with this country is that the laws aren't always based on the moral calculus. Sometimes favorable laws are passed when a certain group contributes to a political campaign. We've already seen court cases challenging copyright infringement. The battle was already fought over parodies and "(company)sucks.com" websites. 2 live crew won the fight to parody a song, and "sucks.com" websites were found to be protected under the 1st amendment. It's a matter of time until other copyright laws are challenged.

One of the problems with this country is that the laws aren't always based on the moral calculus.  Sometimes favorable laws are passed when a certain group contributes to a political campaign.  We've already seen court cases challenging copyright infringement.  The battle was already fought over parodies and "(company)sucks.com" websites.  2 live crew won the fight to parody a song, and "sucks.com" websites were found to be protected under the 1st amendment.  It's a matter of time until other copyright laws are challenged.

143364[/snapback]

Remember when these all used to be on PPP? RIO is right. PPP died after Bush won. Also, the Bills have been less than stellar, until the last month. Everyone here I think is basically numb. The way this season started, we went into Auto-Bills Qualude mode.

They surprised me. We need to get everything back into it's rightful spot.

Paradigms suck.

One of the problems with this country is that the laws aren't always based on the moral calculus.  Sometimes favorable laws are passed when a certain group contributes to a political campaign.  We've already seen court cases challenging copyright infringement.  The battle was already fought over parodies and "(company)sucks.com" websites.  2 live crew won the fight to parody a song, and "sucks.com" websites were found to be protected under the 1st amendment.  It's a matter of time until other copyright laws are challenged.

143364[/snapback]

I agree but right now what her son is doing is not legal. I agree with this law if you can buy a movie then put it on your hard drive let your friends "share" your hard drive 100's of people get a movie that one person paid for.

143330[/snapback]

I hope you plan to teaching him/her that it's stealing even if you download ONE song that someone else wrote and you didn't pay for. :o

I hope you plan to teaching him/her that it's stealing even if you download ONE song that someone else wrote and you didn't pay for.    :o

143427[/snapback]

KD, nice avatar. Growing up that was one of my favorites of all time. Burl Ives singing Christmas songs was....................ooops. DID I SAY CHRISTMAS?

Sorry Holiday songs :lol:

:o:o HO HO !@#$ing HO!!!!

KD, nice avatar. Growing up that was one of my favorites of all time. Burl Ives singing Christmas songs was....................ooops. DID I SAY CHRISTMAS?

Sorry Holiday songs :doh:

;)  :D  HO HO !@#$ing HO!!!!

143440[/snapback]

Thanks! Yup I'm a loser....I did actually watch RRR last night so I thought I'd put up a nice CHRISTMASTIME avatar. I hope you didn't let the girls miss it!!

:D