OT: DVD burning software

TracyLee

Have you ever known someone to get a ticket jaywalking?  Probably not. But it's still illegal isn't it? Doesn't stop anybody from doing it.

Actually, I do. A couple kids got tickets for jaywalking in front of LaSalle Middle School when I went there ('87-'88).

As defeated-Steve pointed out, jaywalking isn't a felony though.

CW

Nothing.  It's illegal, but not enforceable, therefore not illegal, especially if it's intended for consumption on long boring bus rides.  If, however, it's placed in a plastic cup and thrown at Ron Artest it's illegal as hell, and Artest would have every right to then beat the crap out of her son while promoting his rap album...which, conicidentally, can be downloaded from the internet via an illegal but not enforceable hence legal action...

144776[/snapback]

He doesn't take a bus, silly, I drive him.

My buddys father got a ticket for jaywalking walking out of a high school play in tiny Clinton Connecticut. Go to NYC and try and jaywalk. Quality of life crimes are enforced strictly in NYC and its been very effective in curbing more serious crimes

One thing that I have to say after reading all this stuff about downloading movies, it that it really is not that hard to go to the next step and rip off video stores..

For example,

I was in the Crystal Mall a few months ago and bought a DVD at FYE. I then had some time to kill and went to look around Suncoast Movie Store. The detector beeped at me when I entered the store becasue the FYE cashier did not deactive the strip in the DVD. The guy looked up at me and I explained to him that I had just entered the store and that my FYE purchase set off the alarm. The kid say ok and I said do you want to deactive my strip or keep my bag up at the counter. He said no, he would remember that I had set the alarm off earlier and just let me pass.

So I going a browsing and slip about 200 dollars worth of DVDs in my bag. When I went to go out, I asked the guy do you want to check me because I am going to beep when I leave, nah go ahead he said I know you just got your FYE purchase.

Now the question is:

Was that illegal since the clerk did not care?

Was that legal since Suncoast overcharges for their products?

Was that legal because nobody should let T-Bone put one other on them?

And before the law and order boys get all upset, I made up the part about stealing DVDs but the rest was all true.

My buddys father got a ticket for jaywalking walking out of a high school play in tiny Clinton Connecticut.  Go to NYC and try and jaywalk.  Quality of life crimes are enforced strictly in NYC and its been very effective in curbing more serious crimes

144802[/snapback]

I can tell you that you won't get a ticket for jaywalking here, but if a cab is coming through and he's got the green light, he sure as hell ain't stopping!

p.s. I love Clinton and that whole shoreline area.

You don't actually expect anyone on this board to admit to any wrongdoing now do you?  That would require honesty, although I am curious to see if any one of the holier-than-thou have enough courage to reply with truthfulness.

144788[/snapback]

I stole a 5-cent toy from a garage sale when I was seven. Still feel guilty as hell about it, too.

you gotta !@#$ing read it...

144759[/snapback]

We'll I'm through the first two pages and I'm hooked. Could you guys slow down on the posting till I catch up. I feel like the fat kid chasing the school bus...wait, I was that fat kid. :devil:

Actually, I do.  A couple kids got tickets for jaywalking in front of LaSalle Middle School when I went there ('87-'88).

As defeated-Steve pointed out, jaywalking isn't a felony though.

CW

144795[/snapback]

You know Fez, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but if you take tips for the Bills dvd's that you burn for your fellow TBDer's isn't that the same as receiving compensation for them, therefore distributing with intent to sell? Isn't that a felony? Just curious.

You know Fez, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but if you take tips for the Bills dvd's that you burn for your fellow TBDer's isn't that the same as receiving compensation for them, therefore distributing with intent to sell?  Isn't that a felony? Just curious.

144814[/snapback]

Actually, I think he only takes money for the cost of materials and shipping. But even if he did it for free...it would still be a felony. Distribution without permission.

Oh, and I almost cheated on a test once in high school. Thought better of it before I handed it in, so I crossed out all the answers I cheated on.

I stole a 5-cent toy from a garage sale when I was seven.  Still feel guilty as hell about it, too.

144810[/snapback]

I stole some index cards when I was 6 or 7 (the ones with the alphabet on them; I had some plans on using them for something or other, and my mom wouldn't buy them for me). My parents were PISSED and I thought I was going to go off to jail because of it. :D

Looking back at it, it was pretty funny. I put them under my shirt and did the Pledge of Allegience in front of the clerk (while I was holding the cards there). She thought I was cute. :devil: Even my mom didn't suspect anything until after we were in the car. Not sure why I thought that was ok to do at the time.

They thought about returning them to the store, but I think they just threw 'em away.

CW

Actually, I think he only takes money for the cost of materials and shipping.  But even if he did it for free...it would still be a felony.  Distribution without permission.

Oh, and I almost cheated on a test once in high school.  Thought better of it before I handed it in, so I crossed out all the answers I cheated on.

144821[/snapback]

No, he already charges for the disc and for shipping, the tips are extra. It's in his signature.

You know Fez, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but if you take tips for the Bills dvd's that you burn for your fellow TBDer's isn't that the same as receiving compensation for them, therefore distributing with intent to sell? Isn't that a felony? Just curious.

yes, though I don't want to see tracy's son or fez go to jail.

You know Fez, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but if you take tips for the Bills dvd's that you burn for your fellow TBDer's isn't that the same as receiving compensation for them, therefore distributing with intent to sell?  Isn't that a felony? Just curious.

144814[/snapback]

The tip portion doesn't factor into it at all; technically what I'm doing is illegal (tip or no tip) and I've said as much. If the NFL sends me a cease and desist order, I've already said that I'll desist.

It's a little different than the movie issue, since you can't actually buy the games from the NFL. It's more on par with the highlight videos that someone from another board used to do until the NFL sent him a cease and desist.

CW

Actually, I think he only takes money for the cost of materials and shipping.  But even if he did it for free...it would still be a felony.  Distribution without permission.

Oh, and I almost cheated on a test once in high school.  Thought better of it before I handed it in, so I crossed out all the answers I cheated on.

144821[/snapback]

let it all out....

No, he already charges for the disc and for shipping, the tips are extra. It's in his signature.

144823[/snapback]

Yes, the word is OPTIONAL. Plenty of people havn't given any tips which is cool with me.

But as I said, with or without a tip, the crime is technically the same.

CW