Colorado passes some actual education reform

Tenure sucks, to be certain but I hate the measurements. "If students don't improve..." translates to giving the power to a bunch of children, which is the root of the problem in education today.

I don't know what the answer is but this one isn't it.

Tenure sucks, to be certain but I hate the measurements. "If students don't improve..." translates to giving the power to a bunch of children, which is the root of the problem in education today.

Basically, long term barometers need to be used- short term america methods are ALWAYS wrong. Look at the top 15% of a graduating class- are they getting good jobs? Don't look at the group that shouldn't be going to college anyways.

No child left behind and getting rid of the bell shaped curve were both bad ideas.

I've had to remove the word "progressive" from my vobabulary since the leftmost liberals adopted the term for themselves.

For sure teachers need to be fired more often than they are, but where you find concentrations of bad students you'll find a lot of bad parents. Both parents and teachers need to be held more accountable for student performance and dropout rates in many areas, but that's a pipe dream.

The answer has the simplicity of a chinese finger puzzle.

There's only one group of people in the world who can accurately assess the effectiveness of a teacher. And that is other teachers. Not parents, students, administrators or government bureaucrats.

Unfortunately the nearly limitless power of a corrupt, bloated, self-interested union makes this nearly impossible. The solution is that the teacher's union has to show the fortitude to eat its own when necessary and thereby earn the right to the kind of self-regulation that is the only viable solution. Until the vast majority of good teachers find the courage to toss the small minority of useless slugs, we'll continue to look like the kind of ineffectual clock punchers we're frequently portrayed as.

There's only one group of people in the world who can accurately assess the effectiveness of a teacher. And that is other teachers. Not parents, students, administrators or government bureaucrats.

Unfortunately the nearly limitless power of a corrupt, bloated, self-interested union makes this nearly impossible. The solution is that the teacher's union has to show the fortitude to eat its own when necessary and thereby earn the right to the kind of self-regulation that is the only viable solution. Until the vast majority of good teachers find the courage to toss the small minority of useless slugs, we'll continue to look like the kind of ineffectual clock punchers we're frequently portrayed as.

Excellent post.

So glad to hear another teacher say this. It's regretful more teachers won't say this out loud. The useless slugs and unions always seem to get the microphone first, and all that does is make things more difficult for the people who truly are committed to education.

Until the vast majority of good teachers find the courage to toss the small minority of useless slugs, we'll continue to look like the kind of ineffectual clock punchers we're frequently portrayed as.

You're a teacher?!?! Well, that little bit of insight explains A LOT.

How's that guaranteed lifetime job working out for you? The BEST thing that could happen to education is having teachers on pins and needles every single day. Make them like the rest of us who have to excel every day or face the axe.

And asking teachers to police themselves is a joke. Other than cops and maybe firefighters, no one backs up their own more than teachers. NO ONE.

:devil:

So glad to hear another teacher say this. It's regretful more teachers won't say this out loud. The useless slugs and unions always seem to get the microphone first, and all that does is make things more difficult for the people who truly are committed to education.

That was a stirring post, no doubt. But the conclusion is ridiculous. When it comes to teachers, they're ALL about backing each other up in the face of parental, administration or student resistance. Everyone has a vested interest in keeping their job for 30 years so they can retire with a lifetime pension and health benefits. The corruption, cronyism and incompetence perpetrated by the left-leaning mindset of most teachers is truly sickening. And yes, Simon. I'm privvy to all the inside info on teachers.

And asking teachers to police themselves is a joke. Other than cops and maybe firefighters, no one backs up their own more than teachers. NO ONE.

:devil:

You forgot military service men and women.

That was a stirring post, no doubt. But the conclusion is ridiculous. When it comes to teachers, they're ALL about backing each other up in the face of parental, administration or student resistance. Everyone has a vested interest in keeping their job for 30 years so they can retire with a lifetime pension and health benefits. The corruption, cronyism and incompetence perpetrated by the left-leaning mindset of most teachers is truly sickening. And yes, Simon. I'm privvy to all the inside info on teachers.

All of it? :flirt:

You're a teacher?!?! Well, that little bit of insight explains A LOT.

I work in a school and teach kids all day, but I'm not a "teacher" in the sense in which you're imagining it. And it doesn't explain anything, it only makes you feel that your hatred has now been justified.

And yes, Simon. I'm privvy to all the inside info on teachers.

I don't care what inside info you think you're privvy to. The fact that you'll simply take this complex issue and turn it into yet another opportunity to mindlessly bash your imaginary liberal lefties, shows that your "opinion" is not only predictable and repetitive, but entirely worthless as usual.

Thanks for the chuckle, though. :flirt: