computer networking question

Pete

alright- I think I am going to back up my PC onto the new hard drive. Then replace the internal PC hard drive with a much larger hard drive- then plug in the Mac external into the PC. My Mac external is formatted Fat32, and I believe the files are compatible with both the PC and the Mac. I am thinking of removing Itunes from the PC, and then once every thing is transferred, making the new external NTFS. It is very confusing. Does this all sound feasible? Is there any easier way? I will sleep better once all my music and photos are backed up. Thank you!

oh yeah, one more thing. Is there any easy way to scan the hard drive so I am not transferring virus/malware between the mac and PC? I am going to install a good antivirus on the PC. Any recommendations?

Pete, I think your iTunes library is on the Mac external IIRC.

Can you burn a DVD (or four) on your Mac of the music files?

That'd give you a fall back - should something go south on you unexpectedly.

You could also use Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on your HD) to create a disk image of the external. If your external is formatted as Fat32 it's DOS compatible, so the drive, file structure and the files themselves should be recognized by the PC system if you directly hook them up.

Good luck!