computer networking question

Pete

I have an Imac with an immense Itunes music library on an external disc and it is hooked up to a router and there is a wireless network. In the other room I have a PC(there is no networking card). What is the best method to transfer the library to the PC, so I have it on both computers? Is it possible to do it wireless? If not, is there a way to copy one external drive to another? Thank you in advance!

I have an Imac with an immense Itunes music library on an external disc and it is hooked up to a router and there is a wireless network. In the other room I have a PC(there is no networking card). What is the best method to transfer the library to the PC, so I have it on both computers? Is it possible to do it wireless? If not, is there a way to copy one external drive to another? Thank you in advance!

Personally, I'd use a floppy disk.

Yes, add a wireless network adapter to the pc

thank you. So I should buy a wireless network adaptor and set it on share? I would like to have the music library on both computers, in case one hard drive crashes. Is that possible with the wireless network adaptor?

oh yeah, one more question please. So my external is hooked up to my Mac, can I hook that external up to my PC and upload all the music? Does it transfer Mac to PC? The collection is over 200 GB

oh yeah, one more question please. So my external is hooked up to my Mac, can I hook that external up to my PC and upload all the music? Does it transfer Mac to PC? The collection is over 200 GB

ive hooked my pc external drive up to a mac and transferred, but im not sure about Mac->PC. Probably not. But it really depends on what version OSes you are running on both machines and what type of drive it is.

ive hooked my pc external drive up to a mac and transferred, but im not sure about Mac->PC. Probably not. But it really depends on what version OSes you are running on both machines and what type of drive it is.

Yes that, and the file structure that the drive was formatted in originally.

Pete, I'm too tired right now. I'll try to give some advice this weekend.

So I have a new 500 external hard drive and a 50 foot ethernet cable. The music files are on a mac's external drive, the one ethernet connection on the mac is plugged into the router, but the router has extra ethernet jacks. Do I just connect the ethernet cable to the router and to the PC? How would I go about making the transfer? Thank you!

So I have a new 500 external hard drive and a 50 foot ethernet cable. The music files are on a mac's external drive, the one ethernet connection on the mac is plugged into the router, but the router has extra ethernet jacks. Do I just connect the ethernet cable to the router and to the PC? How would I go about making the transfer? Thank you!

Allow me to ask a dumb question... if your music is on an external drive, why not just unplug it from the one computer and then into the other to transfer the files? I'm not sure why you have to network the two if you have an external drive.

Unless you just want them on the one drive, but want both comps to share them?

Allow me to ask a dumb question... if your music is on an external drive, why not just unplug it from the one computer and then into the other to transfer the files? I'm not sure why you have to network the two if you have an external drive.

Unless you just want them on the one drive, but want both comps to share them?

Both my externals are 500GB. Both my computers internal hard drives are 200GB. The music files are over 200GB- I can only fit them on the external, and I am trying to back up my music files. Once I figure out how to do that, I am going to back up 20,000 photos. Hard drives are only temporary storage and I most definitely need back ups!

Can anyone recommend a a good (preferably free) anti virus program? I want to scan the external for virus' before I transfer it to the PC

Both my externals are 500GB. Both my computers internal hard drives are 200GB. The music files are over 200GB- I can only fit them on the external, and I am trying to back up my music files. Once I figure out how to do that, I am going to back up 20,000 photos. Hard drives are only temporary storage and I most definitely need back ups!

Can anyone recommend a a good (preferably free) anti virus program? I want to scan the external for virus' before I transfer it to the PC

Got it.

Here's some good Antivirus advice:

Consumer Digest Forum Linky

thank you. So I should buy a wireless network adaptor and set it on share? I would like to have the music library on both computers, in case one hard drive crashes. Is that possible with the wireless network adaptor?

If you are wondering about wireless adapter... Just recently I bought a Cisco Valet (about 60 bucks at Meijer)... USB... For my son's computer... Super easy to set up, took all of 5 seconds... Really, just plug it in and it goes. So far no complaints out of him! Which is a good thing.

I would download a free FTP client for the mac, such as filezilla and use it to set up an ftp server on your mac. Then ftp to the files from the PC. Do not use a wifi connection. Plug an ethernet jack from the mac to the router and from the pc to the router. A wired connection, even if it's not gigabit, is way faster than wifi. Doing an FTP file transfer would be A LOT faster than using SMB. If you don't want to move the physical files over, you can just open itunes on the mac and set your library to share over the network, then you can listen to your music on the PC.

Either way, for backup purposes, you'll need another separate solution such as another external HD, NAS with RAID 1 capabilities, or your best solution to ensure your data doesn't get lost is an offsite backup program like carbonite or mozy. Trust me... I lost EVERYTHING a few years ago by simply relying on a usb external hard drive. I lost 10 year's worth of mp3s, wedding pictures, backups of install cds for expensive programs... Everything. You're truly playing with fire if you just have your music or whatever in one single location, even if you don't realize it yet.

why not plug both External's into the same machine and just copy+paste from one drive to another? if you have 2 USB ports, you should be all set.