Bledsoe v. Losman

Casey D

I'm fine with a fair competition in training camp for the starting QB position. I suspect Bledsoe will win it. What I don't want to see is the coaching staff continuing to stick with Bledsoe should he prove ineffective. I think under those circumstances we need to see Losman sooner rather than later.

The big rush to start Losman.  If the Bills finish, say 9-7, meaning 9-3 over the last 12 games with Bledsoe at the helm, why would you want Losman to start in 2005?  With a 9-3 finish, something like 11-5 would seem quite possible for 2005.  Unless you were certain there would be no drop-off in play from Bledsoe to Losman--which seems highly unlikely when you look at the play of many 1st round QBs early in their careers(I know there are exceptions, but they are exceptions, e.g. Roethlisberger)-- why would you want to jeopardize that, when the team has not been to the playoffs for 5 years.  I understand getting Losman experience would be great, but not if it cost the Bills a couple of games and the playoffs next year.

It seems evident that this team is coming together with Bledsoe at the helm.  I doubt that will change unless Bledsoe shows regression again, but not until.  Losman can wait.

141892[/snapback]

That's just it! The loudest opinions in here think that JP is the next Elway! :P

He will struggle when he starts, whenever that happens to be. McNabb, Culpepper, Vick, et al needed 3 years to feel comfortable and competent to play in the NFL.

, meaning 9-3 over the last 12 games with Bledsoe at the helm,

141892[/snapback]

You don't judge QB's by their win-lost record, because that record reflects the contribution the whole team made, and not just the work of one man. Take John Elway, a QB that many consider to be one of the five best ever. There were lots of seasons when he'd finish 8-8 or 9-7, because Elway was the only weapon the Broncos had. Compare him to Trent Dilfer, a player who once went 15-1 (including a SB win) over a 16 game stretch. Now, Dilfer isn't as bad as people say, but if you were a GM, and if someone offered you Dilfer in exchange for Elway in his prime, would you accept?

Last time I checked, Bledsoe's QB rating was 23rd best for the league. BLEDSOE doesn't have the potential to go 9-3. The BILLS as a whole do. BLEDSOE will be wherever his QB rating puts him at. That's his individual contribution to the team. He's a nice guy, and I hope he improves that rating as the season wears on. But this is where he, personally, is at right now. 23rd.

The big rush to start Losman.  If the Bills finish, say 9-7, meaning 9-3 over the last 12 games with Bledsoe at the helm, why would you want Losman to start in 2005?  With a 9-3 finish, something like 11-5 would seem quite possible for 2005.  Unless you were certain there would be no drop-off in play from Bledsoe to Losman--which seems highly unlikely when you look at the play of many 1st round QBs early in their careers(I know there are exceptions, but they are exceptions, e.g. Roethlisberger)-- why would you want to jeopardize that, when the team has not been to the playoffs for 5 years.  I understand getting Losman experience would be great, but not if it cost the Bills a couple of games and the playoffs next year.

It seems evident that this team is coming together with Bledsoe at the helm.  I doubt that will change unless Bledsoe shows regression again, but not until.  Losman can wait.

141892[/snapback]

Simple, really. People are reactionary fools who want instant gratification. The simple, inescapable fact is that Losman should start when he is ready, not when we're ready for him.

You bledsoe haters just dont get it. You go with the better QB at the time. I think next year in training camp that is going to be Drew Bledsoe. Not JP Losman.

142080[/snapback]

Why is it that when somebody expresses their opinion that Losman should start next year, it is assumed that they are Bledsoe haters? :P

Drew Bledsoe will NEVER take the Bills to the Super Bowl.

Drew Bledsoe is NOT the future, he was never intended to be anything but a bridge to the next generation Bills.

Drew Bledsoe is not leading this team, he is just the guy who stands behind the center.

If the defense and special teams had not picked it up a notch, and if the OL did not start to gel, we would have maybe 2 wins right now. I do not say this with any malice because I wish Bledsoe nothing but success AS A BILL.

Given a year on the pine, and a reasonable amount of reps this year, combined with a full off season, mini-camps, training camp, and preseason, Losman DAMNED WELL BETTER be ready to start next September or we have another Todd Collins and a 1st rounder is in the toilet.

Now, please explain to me what I do not "get".

Why is it that when somebody expresses their opinion that Losman should start next year, it is assumed that they are Bledsoe haters?  :P

Drew Bledsoe will NEVER take the Bills to the Super Bowl.

Drew Bledsoe is NOT the future, he was never intended to be anything but a bridge to the next generation Bills.

Drew Bledsoe is not leading this team, he is just the guy who stands behind the center.

If the defense and special teams had not picked it up a notch, and if the OL did not start to gel, we would have maybe 2 wins right now. I do not say this with any malice because I wish Bledsoe nothing but success AS A BILL.

Given a year on the pine, and a reasonable amount of reps this year, combined with a full off season, mini-camps, training camp, and preseason, Losman DAMNED WELL BETTER be ready to start next September or we have another Todd Collins and a 1st rounder is in the toilet.

Now, please explain to me what I do not "get".

142121[/snapback]

Good post Rockpile, I totally agree with what you said and feel about Bledsoe

141892[/snapback]

If you have to ask then you'll never know...

You don't judge QB's by their win-lost record, because that record reflects the contribution the whole team made, and not just the work of one man. Take John Elway, a QB that many consider to be one of the five best ever. There were lots of seasons when he'd finish 8-8 or 9-7, because Elway was the only weapon the Broncos had. Compare him to Trent Dilfer, a player who once went 15-1 (including a SB win) over a 16 game stretch. Now, Dilfer isn't as bad as people say, but if you were a GM, and if someone offered you Dilfer in exchange for Elway in his prime, would you accept?

Last time I checked, Bledsoe's QB rating was 23rd best for the league. BLEDSOE doesn't have the potential to go 9-3. The BILLS as a whole do. BLEDSOE will be wherever his QB rating puts him at. That's his individual contribution to the team. He's a nice guy, and I hope he improves that rating as the season wears on. But this is where he, personally, is at right now. 23rd.

142109[/snapback]

You don't judge a QB by wins? Let me give you the following choice for 2005. Bledsoe starts and the Bills go 11-5, win the AFC East. Losman starts, has lots of rough patches like Harrington, Carr, Brees, Smith, Leaf, Ramsey, Palmer, E. Manning , etc and the Bills go 9-7 and miss the playoffs. You go with Losman?

I never said that the Bills were winning because of Bledsoe, simply that they are winning. The assumption that they will do just as well with Losman or Matthews or Curly Larry or Moe at QB, is just that, an assumption. I want the Bills to win now--and make the playoffs. I want the staff to put the QB out there who gives the Bills the best chance to win now. If that's Losman, fine. But if it's Bledsoe, then those who want Losman anyway because someday he might have a better chance to win us a Super Bowl, I think are just wrong. CD

You don't judge a QB by wins?  Let me give you the following choice for 2005.  Bledsoe starts and the Bills go 11-5, win the AFC East.  Losman starts, has lots of rough patches like Harrington, Carr, Brees, Smith, Leaf, Ramsey, Palmer, E. Manning , etc and the Bills go 9-7 and miss the playoffs.  You go with Losman?

I never said that the Bills were winning because of Bledsoe, simply that they are winning.  The assumption that they will do just as well with Losman or Matthews or Curly Larry or Moe at QB, is just that, an assumption.  I want the Bills to win now--and make the playoffs.  I want the staff to put the QB out there who gives the Bills the best chance to win now.  If that's Losman, fine.  But if it's Bledsoe, then those who want Losman anyway because someday he might have a better chance to win us a Super Bowl, I think are just wrong.  CD

142333[/snapback]

This post is from Casey D-- apparently unplugged...CD

Guest sarpilot

141892[/snapback]

Casey I'm afraid I have to agree with you. Ya gotta dance with who brug ya. "even if the car broke down on the way to the dance" Would love to see what the kid Losman can do and I'm sure we will get the chance very soon. He has great mobility and strong arm. Every time this year when Bledsoe was stinking up the joint with bad throws, bad decisions, bad sacks, bad fumbles I was screaming at the tube to put in the kid. But every time I did I kept getting these horrible flashbacks about the last time we "went with the future QB (RJ)" and benched an old, weak armed, too short to play in the NFL QB that got us to the playoffs despite all his shortcomings"pardon the pun".I think it matters not whether his stats stink or he is too slow or even if if he is not a snappy dresser. You don't mess with a combination that is winning. As an old original AFL owner once said " JUST WIN BABY". If for some reason that the BIlls run the tables and go 10-6 even if we don't make the playoffs "ARG!!!! those two losses to JAX and OAK" I think the job should be Bledsoes to lose in camp. We still got 5 games to win so thinking about next year is kind of premature anyway. Don't lock in to a decision before it all plays out. AS an old original AFL owner once said " GOD I HATE AL DAVIS" Never say never, never say always. Its better to be right at the moment than be consistent.