***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

Yes in the argentine team. We have midgets up front or so it seems. Milito and Higuain are good but their presence intimidates no one.

Milito sure intimidated Barcelona, Roma, Juventus, Milan and Bayern :devil:

That's the thing I understand the least about Diego's moves. Milito was the game breaker for Inter this year. He scored 4 goals to clinch three titles. Everytime he touched the ball, it would end up in the back of the net, even on nights when Inter were stale. Sneijder as well was a gamebreaker for Inter and look how well he's doing for Holland.

These guys had great years and had all the confidence in the world.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, why do you guys hate Maradona so much? Meazza are you still hurting from 1990? Interesting.

Well, we lost badly to a very solid teams. Congrats to the germans and ajzepp. This argentinian team, for better or worse, played with their convictions, winning by scoring more than the rival without much defense and Saturday it showed Germany was in the top of their game and took full advantage of it. That was a very game by them.

I prefer going out of the WC like this and not like in 2006 where we tied with them and lost in PKs.

Brazil 2014, we will be there.

Thanks, man...that was a much more satisfying win than I could have ever imagined. I'm on record as having picked the Argentines to win it all this year, so I was probably as shocked as anyone by that.

As for Maradona, I actually really enjoyed his candor and enthusiasm. I thought his antics on the sidelines were great, and I liked how he stood behind his players and his comments during pressers. Meazza is doing a very good job convincing me about the importance of defense at this level, so I guess I can't be too surprised at the outcome, but I really did expect Argentina to make it to the finals. Oddly enough, even though the Germans are my 1-B team, they are probably the biggest surpirse in the tourney for me. Just never expected these younger players to be this poised and effective already.Someone on WC Live postulated that Ballack being injured as a blessing for this team, and I think that may really be the case. Klose is a goal away from Ronaldo's record, and they're playing lights out.

As far as 2014, that's going to be a South American team's cup to lose. I can't imagine Brazil not defending their home turf, but should be an interesting cup for you guys, too!

Thanks, man...that was a much more satisfying win than I could have ever imagined. I'm on record as having picked the Argentines to win it all this year, so I was probably as shocked as anyone by that.

As for Maradona, I actually really enjoyed his candor and enthusiasm. I thought his antics on the sidelines were great, and I liked how he stood behind his players and his comments during pressers. Meazza is doing a very good job convincing me about the importance of defense at this level, so I guess I can't be too surprised at the outcome, but I really did expect Argentina to make it to the finals. Oddly enough, even though the Germans are my 1-B team, they are probably the biggest surpirse in the tourney for me. Just never expected these younger players to be this poised and effective already.Someone on WC Live postulated that Ballack being injured as a blessing for this team, and I think that may really be the case. Klose is a goal away from Ronaldo's record, and they're playing lights out.

As far as 2014, that's going to be a South American team's cup to lose. I can't imagine Brazil not defending their home turf, but should be an interesting cup for you guys, too!

I'm very glad you noticed that, because that is his esence, that is who he is. You may hate or love him, but he's authentic.

His choices in life not always were the right ones but we're talking about a guy raised from the poorest enviroment ever, of course, that is not a good excuse, because there are lots of examples out there of humble people doing it the right way. But not all of those who elected the right path were considered a living God. Believe me some of his fanatics (can't be called fans) from Argentina and Napoli think that he is walking deity. Living with that on your shoulders must be hard to assimilate when you don't have the presence of mind like Maradona obviously lacked.

About Germany and Ballack, some of the argentinian reporters said the same thing, that Germany would be a lot more dinamic without Ballack and that his injury will be a blessing in disguise for them. Hard to believe, but I guess they were right after all. Klose is a beast and I hope we were eliminated by the champs when is all said and done.

In 2014 Brazil will win it, with ease.

I'm very glad you noticed that, because that is his esence, that is who he is. You may hate or love him, but he's authentic.

His choices in life not always were the right ones but we're talking about a guy raised from the poorest enviroment ever, of course, that is not a good excuse, because there are lots of examples out there of humble people doing it the right way. But not all of those who elected the right path were considered a living God. Believe me some of his fanatics (can't be called fans) from Argentina and Napoli think that he is walking deity. Living with that on your shoulders must be hard to assimilate when you don't have the presence of mind like Maradona obviously lacked.

About Germany and Ballack, some of the argentinian reporters said the same thing, that Germany would be a lot more dinamic without Ballack and that his injury will be a blessing in disguise for them. Hard to believe, but I guess they were right after all. Klose is a beast and I hope we were eliminated by the champs when is all said and done.

Being that I lived in South America for over 10 years I can tell you in one word why there is a hatred for Maradona and Argentina (more specifically Buenos Aires) ARROGANCE!!

They are perennial **** talkers. Every single thing they do is with arrogance. I pull against Argentina every chance I get, and so do many other south americans. Brazil on the other hand, is quite a different story. This is my last day in South America before I go back to the states, and I can tell you that when the Argentines lost, just about every person I know here thought it was a riot, specially in the way they lost.

Tevez a couple days before the game was talking about how Mexico is a better team than Germany. The Goalkeeper also said, and I'm paraphrasing "Germany is pretty good, but we beat them in Germany 1-0 three months ago, so...."

Listen, I love the way Maradona played, probably my all time favorite player, but that doesn't mean you have to like his personality. Anyway...

Being that I lived in South America for over 10 years I can tell you in one word why there is a hatred for Maradona and Argentina (more specifically Buenos Aires) ARROGANCE!!

They are perennial **** talkers. Every single thing they do is with arrogance. I pull against Argentina every chance I get, and so do many other south americans. Brazil on the other hand, is quite a different story. This is my last day in South America before I go back to the states, and I can tell you that when the Argentines lost, just about every person I know here thought it was a riot, specially in the way they lost.

Tevez a couple days before the game was talking about how Mexico is a better team than Germany. The Goalkeeper also said, and I'm paraphrasing "Germany is pretty good, but we beat them in Germany 1-0 three months ago, so...."

Listen, I love the way Maradona played, probably my all time favorite player, but that doesn't mean you have to like his personality. Anyway...

Magox, I can't refute anything you just wrote because it's true, but I'm glad you made the distinction about Buenos Aires. Porteños (people born in Buenos Aires) are usually that way and not all of them are like that, obviously, there can't be a province/state where all people are arrogants.

Are you in Argentina right now?

When you talk to the Argentinians, ask them when was the last time they got to the semi's...

They might shut up after that :devil:

:devil: Well said,man!

Good read!

I agree with what he said about whether soccer has finally taken off in this country, too. I believe it has, but that being said, THIS is what it looks like! lol It's having the country paying attention to what our team does in the WC, it's having a national soccer league still growing after 15 years or so in existence, it's having our players getting more playing time and recognition abroad, it's ESPN broadcasting every WC match, champions league final, and some of the best club matches from the EPL in glorious HD every year, etc, etc. If it never got any bigger than this, I'd be happy as heck! I feel like I get plenty of soccer coverage. I know where to find what I want to watch, I know where to go when I want to talk about it, and I think it'll stay that way for a long time. If it grows from here, then great! But I'd say the sport is quite healthy right now, and with a very promising future.

Good read!

I agree with what he said about whether soccer has finally taken off in this country, too. I believe it has, but that being said, THIS is what it looks like! lol It's having the country paying attention to what our team does in the WC, it's having a national soccer league still growing after 15 years or so in existence, it's having our players getting more playing time and recognition abroad, it's ESPN broadcasting every WC match, champions league final, and some of the best club matches from the EPL in glorious HD every year, etc, etc. If it never got any bigger than this, I'd be happy as heck! I feel like I get plenty of soccer coverage. I know where to find what I want to watch, I know where to go when I want to talk about it, and I think it'll stay that way for a long time. If it grows from here, then great! But I'd say the sport is quite healthy right now, and with a very promising future.

Agreed. Absolutely. If I get to watch the important Champions League games, the Euro Cup and World Cup in HD, I'm pretty happy with the level of interest in the USA. Now I do remember having to watch some qualifying games on Telemundo 2 or Univision 2 so maybe I'd like a little more growth. But overall I'm relatively satisfied.

I was away for the holiday and couldn't watch any of the games. But I did DVR the Germany-Argentina match and watched it last night even though I knew the outcome. I have to say I'm sure glad the Argentinians (or is it Argentines?) are gone. I couldn't stand the way they were protesting every call, every perceived injustice, and even outright faked injustices. And with such vehemence. I don't know how the ref didn't start carding players left and right. Adios.

I'm not sure what Bill Simmons is talking about with no Jumbotrons. Wasn't that a big issue with the Mexico-Argentina offsides call being replayed on the Jumbotron?

Otherwise a very good article. But I have not grown accustomed to vuvuzelas as much as ESPN/ABC has made the necessary accommodations. I thought they were way worse at the Confed Cup last year. I don't know if it is better sound insulation in the booths, or better noise filters, or both, but I haven't minded it as much. However, if I was in the arena where there is no sound insulation or noise filters, I would probably been jailed for "hooliganism" by now for administering severe beatings with said vuvuzelas.

And I sure enjoyed the comparison of English fans to Buffalo Bills fans.

Finally, I wasn't expecting much from Germany after the loss of Ballack and the lackluster club seasons of Schweinstieger, Podolski and Klose. So I am definitely surprised (and obviously pleased).

Forca Germania!

Final Four time.

Who will advance and why ?????

Germany

Spain

Uruaguay

or

Netherlands ?

I say Netherlands and Germany meet in the Finals

I think that's the popular choice. And it's what I'd like to see. If there is an upset in the semis, I'd say that Spain over Germany is more likely than Uruguay over the Dutch.

A Spain vs. Netherlands final would be interesting because neither country has won it before. I'd like to see a NEW champion, hopefully the Dutch, for a change.

Magox, I can't refute anything you just wrote because it's true, but I'm glad you made the distinction about Buenos Aires. Porteños (people born in Buenos Aires) are usually that way and not all of them are like that, obviously, there can't be a province/state where all people are arrogants.

Are you in Argentina right now?

No, I was in Bolivia, now Im back in Miami, and yes, the people of Argentina that arent from Buenos Aires are distinct. They still have a very similar accent but are much more humble, at least thats how I view from my experiences.

I will say this though, when the Argentines are playing at full capability, it is one of the beautiful brands of soccer in the world. A thing of beauty.

Germany in my view looks like they are going to take it all, and Netherlands will most likely beat out Uruguay.

Germany seems as if they are clicking on all cylinders. They are like a well oiled machine, playing an attacking style of soccer, with tremendous pace and skill, and they are outhustling their opponents. They look dominant.

The Netherlands are playing similar brand of soccer, but not quite as skilled, but their organization looks impressive, and in my opinion that was the difference between them and Brazil in the last game.

No, I was in Bolivia, now Im back in Miami, and yes, the people of Argentina that arent from Buenos Aires are distinct. They still have a very similar accent but are much more humble, at least thats how I view from my experiences.

I will say this though, when the Argentines are playing at full capability, it is one of the beautiful brands of soccer in the world. A thing of beauty.

Germany in my view looks like they are going to take it all, and Netherlands will most likely beat out Uruguay.

Germany seems as if they are clicking on all cylinders. They are like a well oiled machine, playing an attacking style of soccer, with tremendous pace and skill, and they are outhustling their opponents. They look dominant.

The Netherlands are playing similar brand of soccer, but not quite as skilled, but their organization looks impressive, and in my opinion that was the difference between them and Brazil in the last game.

Don't count Uruguay out.

Several years ago I was working with a programmer from the Netherlands.

1998 during the World Cup to be exact.

I asked him. "As a fan of Dutch football, what would you

rather see...The Dutch winning the World Cup OR

beating Germany in any type of match? "

Without ANY hesitation, he would have rather see

a win by the Dutch over Germany...The WC trophy

was secondary. I was amused by the lack of

hesitation in his response.