***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

lol, is that when it happened the last time? I'm actually surprised it's EVER happened lol

Well, I don't think it was back to back like it was today, but they said Mexico vs. somebody in 1930 was the only other game in which two penalty kicks had been saved in one World Cup match.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't think it was back to back like it was today, but they said Mexico vs. somebody in 1930 was the only other game in which two penalty kicks had been saved in one World Cup match.

Ah okay. I was watching from work on the ESPN gamecast, so I didn't know wtf was going on for a few mins there until the graphics got caught up. I knew Paraguay missed, but then I thought Spain somehow got back to back PKs...which was really weird...then i realized the first was disallowed. What a series of events!

Germany will wipe their behinds with Spain if they have this much trouble beating Paraguay.

Yep, they said on the radio today that the Germans are the only team to make it to at least the quarters for the past 15 WCs. :devil:

Looks like there's a pretty good chance this will be the first WC where a Euro team wins it all at a non-European site, eh Meazza? Or did I not read correctly what you said before about that? I don't feel lke going back through pages to find it.

Yep.

Only Brazil once won in Sweden in 58.

Ah okay. I was watching from work on the ESPN gamecast, so I didn't know wtf was going on for a few mins there until the graphics got caught up. I knew Paraguay missed, but then I thought Spain somehow got back to back PKs...which was really weird...then i realized the first was disallowed. What a series of events!

Germany will wipe their behinds with Spain if they have this much trouble beating Paraguay.

Rematch of Euro 2008 final. That's the beauty of these tournaments. Sometimes you get revenge, other times you don't.

Germany certainly got their revenge against England in 1966. Italy got their revenge from Germany for what happened in 1990.

Well the Mexican guys at work know their soccer. Said the Germans and Dutch would be there near the end. One guy said the winner of the Dutch/Brazil match would be the winner of the tourney. It really looks like they will square off against the Germans. They certainly seem to be the most precise teams in this. I have to say I'm not really impressed with Spain. And they were the favorites coming in.

Well the Mexican guys at work know their soccer. Said the Germans and Dutch would be there near the end. One guy said the winner of the Dutch/Brazil match would be the winner of the tourney. It really looks like they will square off against the Germans. They certainly seem to be the most precise teams in this. I have to say I'm not really impressed with Spain. And they were the favorites coming in.

When I got home from work, I started watching the Spain/Paraguay match....I couldn't take it...had to just FF to the good parts lol.

Wow, why do you guys hate Maradona so much? Meazza are you still hurting from 1990? Interesting.

Well, we lost badly to a very solid teams. Congrats to the germans and ajzepp. This argentinian team, for better or worse, played with their convictions, winning by scoring more than the rival without much defense and Saturday it showed Germany was in the top of their game and took full advantage of it. That was a very game by them.

I prefer going out of the WC like this and not like in 2006 where we tied with them and lost in PKs.

Brazil 2014, we will be there.

Wow, why do you guys hate Maradona so much? Meazza are you still hurting from 1990? Interesting.

Well, we lost badly to a very solid teams. Congrats to the germans and ajzepp. This argentinian team, for better or worse, played with their convictions, winning by scoring more than the rival without much defense and Saturday it showed Germany was in the top of their game and took full advantage of it. That was a very game by them.

I prefer going out of the WC like this and not like in 2006 where we tied with them and lost in PKs.

Brazil 2014, we will be there.

Because I think that he was probably the worst coach you could put in charge of such a talented team and 1990 did hurt.

What happened in 2006 was different. Coach kept Messi on the bench (although I don't think he was that much of an impact player that year) and did not risk as much.

There's a difference between playing totally defensive (i.e. catenaccio) and playing fluid ball control football.

Maradona put a team on the field that couldn't defend against anyone, let alone Germany. Did he really believe he would outscore his way to the World Cup? A good coaches focuses on the strengths and plugs the weaknesses. In this case, he didn't.

Because I think that he was probably the worst coach you could put in charge of such a talented team and 1990 did hurt.

What happened in 2006 was different. Coach kept Messi on the bench (although I don't think he was that much of an impact player that year) and did not risk as much.

There's a difference between playing totally defensive (i.e. catenaccio) and playing fluid ball control football.

Maradona put a team on the field that couldn't defend against anyone, let alone Germany. Did he really believe he would outscore his way to the World Cup? A good coaches focuses on the strengths and plugs the weaknesses. In this case, he didn't.

One thing not to like him as a coach, heck, I don't like him either. And yes, he believes that players make the coaches and that he could reach or win the final playing like that. Very naive on his part but he believes that.

I was talking about the coke remarks, not liking him as a person. He has many faults, yes he was a coke adict and some people could make the case that he still is, I won't go there. Yes, he said some of the most idiotic things a person could say, all under the coke state but the guy is transparent, and his heart is in the right place.

One thing not to like him as a coach, heck, I don't like him either. And yes, he believes that players make the coaches and that he could reach or win the final playing like that. Very naive on his part but he believes that.

I was talking about the coke remarks, not liking him as a person. He has many faults, yes he was a coke adict and some people could make the case that he still is, I won't go there. Yes, he said some of the most idiotic things a person could say, all under the coke state but the guy is transparent, and his heart is in the right place.

One things for sure. They loved him in Napoli.

But I don't hate him as a person. I just wanted to see him fail as I don't like Argentina. Hell, I don't like any other World Cup contender.

The problem with Maradona is claiming he's better than Edison Arantes do Nascimento, when he wasn't on the field, and wasn't anywhere close off of it. And if Pele had played while hopped-up on coke, he'd have put the issue to rest easily.

One things for sure. They loved him in Napoli.

But I don't hate him as a person. I just wanted to see him fail as I don't like Argentina. Hell, I don't like any other World Cup contender.

I heard that he's a walking god in Napoli, in a crazy way I might add. I watched a documental and the people there are like zombies for Diego.

Where are you from in Italy? Rome? It is also known that italians from the north of the country despise Maradona. Why is that?

I heard that he's a walking god in Napoli, in a crazy way I might add. I watched a documental and the people there are like zombies for Diego.

Where are you from in Italy? Rome? It is also known that italians from the north of the country despise Maradona. Why is that?

He won 2 consecutive scudetto's for Napoli. Given that he was the reason they won their only titles says a lot about why they would love him. Since then, they've been mediocre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.S.C._Napoli

My parents were born in Salerno which is an hour drive from Napoli but my team has always been AS Roma.

I'm assuming that the north hates Maradona because he took two titles away from them :beer:

The problem with Maradona is claiming he's better than Edison Arantes do Nascimento, when he wasn't on the field, and certainly wasn't off of it. And if Pele had played while hopped-up on coke, he'd have put the issue to rest easily.

He never claimed he was better, he always says that, that is up for people to debate. When Diego talks about Pele, he talks about him for his off the field activities, saying the thruth about him, that he's so political that he ends up backstabbing you in the back. Pelé follows the money and will say whataver you want to hear if you pay him accordingly.

For instance, what is your opinion about the WC being held in South Africa? (outside those !@#$ing vuvuzelas)

Pelé was one of the few !@#$s that was against it, claiming all sort of BS about South Africa. And remember that South Africa held the Rugby WC in 1995 without a single problem. Maradona believed in South Africa and made himself available to Danny Jordaan (southafrican sport administrator) in any way he needed for the WC to be held there.

What were Pelé's interests? We will never know but they were certainly unfounded.

He won 2 consecutive scudetto's for Napoli. Given that he was the reason they won their only titles says a lot about why they would love him. Since then, they've been mediocre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.S.C._Napoli

My parents were born in Salerno which is an hour drive from Napoli but my team has always been AS Roma.

I'm assuming that the north hates Maradona because he took two titles away from them :beer:

Traitor!! hehe.

I liked Roma when Batistuta could finally win a scudetto after devoting his best futbol years to the mediocre Fiorentina. We're missing a guy like Bati right now.

Traitor!! hehe.

I liked Roma when Batistuta could finally win a scudetto after devoting his best futbol years to the mediocre Fiorentina. We're missing a guy like Bati right now.

You mean in Roma or Fiorentina?

Fiorentina just lost a great coach in Prandelli. Roma is undergoing new ownership so I don't know what the new team will be like but I think an in-shape Adriano will be great (provided he loses all that excess fat).

You mean in Roma or Fiorentina?

Fiorentina just lost a great coach in Prandelli. Roma is undergoing new ownership so I don't know what the new team will be like but I think an in-shape Adriano will be great (provided he loses all that excess fat).

Sorry, I don't follow. Roma o Fiorentina?

Adriano is a beast, if he can check his weight, as you said. When he is on his game, he's unstoppable. What about Totti?

I used to follow the Itallian tournament when I was younger, when guys like Batistuta, Balbo, Simeone, Caniggia were in their primes. But now other than the WC I don't follow international fútbol.

Sorry, I don't follow. Roma o Fiorentina?

Adriano is a beast, if he can check his weight, as you said. When he is on his game, he's unstoppable. What about Totti?

I used to follow the Itallian tournament when I was younger, when guys like Batistuta, Balbo, Simeone, Caniggia were in their primes. But now other than the WC I don't follow international fútbol.

Who are you referring to that is missing a guy like that? Argentina? If you're referring to Argentina, I think Tevez and Milito alone could fill the shoes :devil:

Totti is passed his prime. He is often injured but 23 goals in 19 games is quite impressive.

Who are you referring to that is missing a guy like that? Argentina? If you're referring to Argentina, I think Tevez and Milito alone could fill the shoes :devil:

Totti is passed his prime. He is often injured but 23 goals in 19 games is quite impressive.

Yes in the argentine team. We have midgets up front or so it seems. Milito and Higuain are good but their presence intimidates no one.