Car Experts - advice **update**

Do you always buy fuel at the same place?

There's a tested value for volatile organic liquids - Reid Vapor Pressure. Refinery changeovers for the seasons have been know to cause so-called "hot soak" problems. That term refers to engine behavior when the power plant is at operating temperature, and there is also a connection related to tank fuel temperature.

I don't always buy gas at the same place....

I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure if your point leads me to another course of action???

So after having the car all day, my mechanic called around to some people he knew. He told them that he cleaned the throttle body, tested a different IAC valve a new crank position sensor, etc. One guy that he knew that used to work at a Dodge dealership told him to move some of the Relays around (he told him specifically which ones, I'm not sure).

So, he did this, drove the care home and experienced no stalling. He said he let it run at his house last night and it stalled after about 30 minutes. He drove the car back to the shop this a.m., again no stalling, left it run at the shop and again, stalled out after about 30 minutes. So the point is - I would never be at a stop long enough for it to stall.

He told me to drive it for a few days let him know how its going and the we'll re-evaluate. So far, so good, knock on wood. Thanks for all that replied. Again - I'm not mechanically inclined in the least, but I did pass on many of the suggestions that you guys gave to my mechanic...Jim

You are talking two different issues here. The stalling on a lift foot situation at stop light was a coked up t body[i have fixed hundreds, if not thousands of cars with the same symptom] Stalling After 30 minutes idling may just be the gas in the fuel rail reaching its vaporization point.

You are talking two different issues here. The stalling on a lift foot situation at stop light was a coked up t body[i have fixed hundreds, if not thousands of cars with the same symptom] Stalling After 30 minutes idling may just be the gas in the fuel rail reaching its vaporization point.

Nine year old vehicle - accumulated exterior engine grime can affect.

The OP hasn't told us if he as a V-6 or an I-4 motor. Compartment heat build-up differs. We have no info about oil condition, coolant condition, filter conditions, etc. Nor ambient conditions, when problems occur.

2001 C van was 3.0 or 3.3 V-6. I don't remember if the 2.4 4 cylinder was available in 2001 but they are rare[absolutely gutless wonders]

Regardless, the symptoms would be the same.

It is a 3.3 v-6.

He told me that even after he cleaned the throttle body it was still stalling frequently. It wasn't until after he moved around the Relays around that it stopped stalling at idle (except for the 30 minute waiting period).

2001 C van was 3.0 or 3.3 V-6. I don't remember if the 2.4 4 cylinder was available in 2001 but they are rare[absolutely gutless wonders]

Regardless, the symptoms would be the same.

Re the idle situation. You mentioned about heating up the motor compartment fuel piping. I agree, the 4cyl was rare - but the OP didn't say, so it's an open point. We cannot dismiss that he has a 4cyl until he tells us. I'm pretty sure that the I4 was available.

I've little direct knowledge of the Caravan line, but speaking in generalities with having worked in the manufacturing biz, transverse v6 compartments in the same build are more crowded than I4s. And for the transverse v6, rear fuel delivery pipes are in a relatively close environment opposed to the front ones. There is a heat generation consideration - evinced in the manufacturing - $ may have to be spent for extra firewall heat insulation and occasionally plenum shielding. Part price, installation labor cost counts big time. You don't do if you don't have to...such is not any kind of selling feature.

"Hot Soak" is an authentic term. It is an integral part of emission compliance. You have to subject a certain number of your daily production into mandated testing, using a standardized fuel - Indolene.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Indolene

Hot Soak (as well as Cold Soak) testing provides useful information beyond emission compliance. In the US, every vehicle produced has to undergo light-off and hot emission testing before turnover to the transporter. The transporter has the right of inspection and rejection. So a factory has to have an army of workers manning multiple test bays. I don't know about these days, but back ago where I worked, to insure production rates, motors were put on a test carousel and after final assembly the product was dyno roll tested and the exhaust was sniffed.