Re: Bills should be wary of possible Gaither trade

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/6/9/1...sible#storyjump

I don't know why writers keep missing the point. Brian tries to compare Lynch's predicament with Gaither's situation. Both players are missing time at voluntary workouts. Where he is very wrong with this comparision is Gaither will start at RT this year for Baltimore, Lynch is the 3rd running back. Also Gaither wasn't suspended for illegal actions with the law. Lynch has two accounts against him. There is no comparision of these two players, dumb article.

Bottom line is Buffalo Bills need Gaither more than Baltimore does, make the trade if possible. :wacko:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/6/9/1...sible#storyjump

I don't know why writers keep missing the point. Brian tries to compare Lynch's predicament with Gaither's situation. Both players are missing time at voluntary workouts. Where he is very wrong with this comparision is Gaither will start at RT this year for Baltimore, Lynch is the 3rd running back. Also Gaither wasn't suspended for illegal actions with the law. Lynch has two accounts against him. There is no comparision of these two players, dumb article.

Bottom line is Buffalo Bills need Gaither more than Baltimore does, make the trade if possible. :wacko:

Are you suggesting the Bills try to trade Lynch for Gaither? I don't think you are but just in case 0:)

On that subject, the Ravens, unfortunately, do not need Lynch since they have Ray Rice ( I still remember the FIRST play in last year's Ravens-Cheatriots game!). Still, it might be an interesting trade to consider even from the Raven's point of view. A young, former 1st round RB who made the pro bowl a couple of years ago. A change of scenery might do BOTH players some good.

As to Marshawn, IMO, the idea of trading him for a 4th rounder is crazy to me. It would be rewarding terrible behavior for little compensation. This is a rare opportunity to make a point for management by fining him if he fails to show up for mandatory practices (still to be determined), costing Lynch tons of money while the Bills can still be sitting fine at the RB position. In other words, the Bills CAN afford to make an example of Lynch. Usually the holdout player has the team by the short hairs (see: Jason Peters). Not so in Lynch's case.

As to Gaither, his value has plummeted in terms of possible asking price making it a buyer's market. He will still demand a large salary though. I wouldn't trade for him unless I met with him and got some feel for where he was mentally/emotionally and to get him to agree to a new deal which satisfies both sides (Gaither and the Bills) prior to any trade.

This has been a strangely active trade-filled offseason. Maybe the Bills will strike a deal themselves.

-RnJ

I really don't want the Bills to get Gaither. People here just want a player who they think will improve the line. Gaither would do that, but he has question marks, mostly his work ethic. Nix isn't going to break the bank for a player like that.

I hope we can somehow get Mcneill from San Diego. I think he would be worth the investment. I want players who will work hard during games and practice and film study. We need guys who are leaders and I don't think Gaither is a leader.

I really don't want the Bills to get Gaither. People here just want a player who they think will improve the line. Gaither would do that, but he has question marks, mostly his work ethic. Nix isn't going to break the bank for a player like that.

I hope we can somehow get Mcneill from San Diego. I think he would be worth the investment. I want players who will work hard during games and practice and film study. We need guys who are leaders and I don't think Gaither is a leader.

I agree about the "don't break the bank" part. As I stated, his trade value has plummeted recently. So, if the Bills can get him for , say , Lynch or a 4th round pick......it might be worth the risk. Again, IF management meets with him and determines he is

a.) Not crazy

b.) Willing to sign a REASONABLE contract extension (whatever reasonable means these days)

I don't think Gaither has to be a leader. The line has Wood and Levitre.

In Gaither's defense, he DOES play hurt.

Your perspective is very sensible. Why pursue a player and invest big money in a player who is already known for his less than sterling work habits? If the Bills can't get a long term solution at LT this year they certainly should be able to make a modest deal to get a competent player who at least can be a short term remedy.

There is a good probability that Jammal Brown of the Saints will be cut or traded. He certainly would be an upgrade over what we presently have. Installing Demetrius Bell as the starting LT is a recipe for disaster. Having him be a backup for both tackle positions would be a smart way to develop him.

Your perspective is very sensible. Why pursue a player and invest big money in a player who is already known for his less than sterling work habits? If the Bills can't get a long term solution at LT this year they certainly should be able to make a modest deal to get a competent player who at least can be a short term remedy.

There is a good probability that Jammal Brown of the Saints will be cut or traded. He certainly would be an upgrade over what we presently have. Installing Demetrius Bell as the starting LT is a recipe for disaster. Having him be a backup for both tackle positions would be a smart way to develop him.

Exactly! They got rid of one perceived "headache" in Peters, to replace him with another teams headache? The price would have to be very right, for me, to endorse trading for this guy. If Borwn were to become a free agent, I would much prefer going after him.

I would still be ok with getting Gaither for a 2nd round pick. I know he has some issues but I think a 2 isn't too step for him because of his upside, experience and our desperation for a quality LT. IMO, he would be a steal if we could get him for a 3rd round pick. We really need to do something. Don't we? Are we really going to start the season with Bell or Meridith at LT? If so, I don't like it at all. Good bless who ever is our staring QB.

I would still be ok with getting Gaither for a 2nd round pick. I know he has some issues but I think a 2 isn't too step for him because of his upside, experience and our desperation for a quality LT. IMO, he would be a steal if we could get him for a 3rd round pick. We really need to do something. Don't we? Are we really going to start the season with Bell or Meridith at LT? If so, I don't like it at all. Good bless who ever is our staring QB.

I'd be a bit wary in dealing with BAL - my impression is that they tend to get the better end of the bargain.

I'd be a bit wary in dealing with BAL - my impression is that they tend to get the better end of the bargain.

You forget we traded Willis "stud muffin" McGahee for two third round and 7th Rnd pick to them in 2007

I'd say we "sort of" did o.k. in that one

BTW, we traded Willis McGahee to Baltimore for a 3rd and 7th in 2007 and a 3rd in 2008.

The 2007 picks turned out to be Trent Edwards and CJ Ah You.

In 2008 we must have traded that pick away because I'm not seeing where we used Baltimore's pick. We took Chris Ellis with our own 3rd rounder.

So pending a few more years of results, and the identity of the 2008 pick we got from Baltimore, we might not have done poorly with that trade.

Willis has played well for them, but it's been a rocky road…he's been mainly a backup the last two years and he's reverted back to his practice of not attending voluntary workouts.

In addition, because his contract is backloaded, he's due $3.6 million this year in base salary and because of this Baltimore apparently tried trading him this off season.

Ozzie Newsome is one of the best GMs and talent scouts in the game. He seems to take advantage of some of our miscalculations. When the Bills drafted Whitner they ended up with Ngata. When the Bills drafted Maybin they ended up with LT Oher. It seems that their lower picks are better than our higher picks. I wonder if Newsome is courteous enough to send a thank you note?