(OT) Yankees close to acquiring Big Unit

Like A Mofo

Randy to the Yankees

12/1/2004

ESPN reports that the Arizona Diamondbacks are ready to finally trade veteran pitcher Randy Johnson to the New York Yankees.

A team source tells ESPN's Peter Gammons that a deal could happen sometime next week and that the Yankees are set to offer starter Javier Vazquez, reliever Tom Gordon, third base prospect Eric Duncan and about $4 million of Vazquez's contract.

The Diamondbacks also reportedly want the Yankees to acquire a starting pitcher outside of the organization to include in a deal.

The news comes on the same day that reports emerged out of Boston that the Red Sox were discussing a trade sending pitcher Bronson Arroyo and two prospects to Arizona for Johnson.

Vazquez, 28, has three years and $34.5 million left on his contract, while Johnson, 41, will make $16 million this coming season.

The Diamondbacks have been listening to offers for the Big Unit since the middle of the 2004 season. The Yankees head the list of teams with interest, but the Red Sox, Anaheim Angels and Chicago White Sox have also been touted as possibilities. Johnson has the right to veto any trade.

Coming off knee surgery, Johnson was 16-14, but the team scored three or fewer runs for him in all but one of those losses. He was 13-2 when the Diamondbacks scored more than two runs. Johnson was second in the majors with a 2.60 ERA and led the majors in strikeouts at 290. Along the way, he pitched a perfect game, passed 4,000 strikeouts and passed Steve Carlton to become the most prolific left-handed strikeout pitcher in baseball history. He ranks No. 3 on the strikeout list behind Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens.

Johnson won Cy Young Awards in his first four seasons with Arizona and was second to Clemens in Cy Young voting this year, even though Johnson was on a club that lost 111 games, tied for 10th-most in baseball history.

Randy to the Yankees

Coming off knee surgery, Johnson was 16-14, but the team scored three or fewer runs for him in all but one of those losses. He was 13-2 when the Diamondbacks scored more than two runs. Johnson was second in the majors with a 2.60 ERA and led the majors in strikeouts at 290. Along the way, he pitched a perfect game, passed 4,000 strikeouts and passed Steve Carlton to become the most prolific left-handed strikeout pitcher in baseball history. He ranks No. 3 on the strikeout list behind Nolan Ryan and Roger  Clemens.

141644[/snapback]

Those are pretty good numers. Aren't they, VABills? :lol:

Yeah.  RJ can actually throw over 100 pitches in a given start and still win regularly.

Though I wouldn't put it past big Stein to sign both of them.  Because he can.

141678[/snapback]

We need to get younger not older on the hill.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*
We need to get younger not older on the hill.

141682[/snapback]

True. Except the Yankees are different than most teams. They play to win the World Series now. They don't care about 3 yrs down the road because when that time comes they have the money to go get what they need.

If they can get 1 or 2 more dominant years out of RJ they would be happy.

True. Except the Yankees are different than most teams. They play to win the World Series now. They don't care about 3 yrs down the road because when that time comes they have the money to go get what they need.

If they can get 1 or 2 more dominant years out of RJ they would be happy.

141760[/snapback]

If George continues this path he is on, it will catch up to the Yankees and Ill have visions of Ed Whitson dacing through my head :lol:

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

And how exactly will it catch up to the Yankees ?

They already have another Whitson in Vasquez. They obviously don't think he can handle NY or they wouldn't be trying to unload him.

Do you think George or the Yanks are losing money with their huge payroll ? HAHAHAHA. They bring in twice their payroll and that doesn't even take into account Georges' other businesses.

I wouldn't worry about the path uncle George is taking.

This is getting ridiculous. I am a die-hard yankees fan, and have been my entire life, yes i was a fan even during the jesse barfield/danny tartabull era.

This is the problem. The yankees are not a team anymore. They are a bunch of superstars who try to buy into the new york system (no pun intended). In the end, the majority of these guys do not know what it means to be a yankee. Derek Jeter knows. Bernie Williams Knows. Mariano Rivera and Orlando Hernandez know. Perhaps Posada and Matsui know, but thats about it. Sheffield doesnt get it, nor does A-Rod or Giambi. though in fairness, A-Rod is coming around.

The old yankees teams (and by old i mean ~ 5 years ago), were comprised of a bunch of guys who knew what it meant to put on the pinstripes. Paul O'Neil, Andy Pettite, Roger Clemens were character guys, and although some may have come in as free agents, they knew the name on the front of the jersey meant a whole lot more than the name on the back.

In the old days the yankees developed talent. At one point they had the best minor league system in baseball. I know because I watched them daily at their AA facility in Albany. These players dreamed of being yankees. And when they finally made the show, they played with pride and determination and accomplished great things. A few pieces were plugged in here and there and the puzzle was competed.

Contrast todays team.

This current group collects big paychecks, but they dont get what they are fighting for. They come to new york as free agents for the big cash. The team trades away prospect after prospect for old washed up veterans, leaving them a depleated minor league system, one of the worst in baseball. Then they go out and spend big bucks on players like Giambi and Sheffield, who If i had my way would not even be on the roster. I would still rather have soriano than a-rod, and I dont want to see posada or, although I dont like him either, Vazquez, traded for Randy Johnson, and certainally dont give up.eric duncan to do it.

Its time to start over mr. steinbrenner. Its time to reclaim your dominace at the minor league levels and develop your own stars again. Teach them what being a true yankee is about. Let Don Mattingly coach AAA or AA ball. Dont toss true yankees aside like yesterdays trash. Players like Pettite and Soriano, though now wearing differnet uniforms ARE yankees, and will forever be yankees (unless they defect someday to the enemy, but I dont see them doing it unless to spite george).

I speak only for myself, but I am sure many other yankees fans feel the same way. This current squad is missing the "IT factor", and that is because they do not realize what it means to wear pinstripes.