Cool! Quantitative Confirmation Rocks!

As something I have faith in or respect for, Economics ranks below Psychology but ahead of Homeopathic remedies- I'm glad you are getting a MBA in finance I'm sure you'll get rich, hopefully you'll be doing something useful like intelligently suppling capital to businesses after due diligence on products and business plans- not shuffling money around and skimming of the top- try for work of Quality not Quant-identity.

More confirmation of DC_Tom's earlier findings.

But, before we go any further...it seems like English isn't the first language here. I don't want to bust on anybody for trying.

Oh, and I will be doing Quality later today....but after that, it's right back to Quant-identity work.... :w00t:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More confirmation of DC_Tom's earlier findings.

But, before we go any further...it seems like English isn't the first language here. I don't want to bust on anybody for trying.

Oh, and I will be doing Quality later today....but after that, it's right back to Quant-identity work.... :w00t:

Quant= wall street slang for genius level mathematicians and programmers who use complicated algorithms and super computers to facilitate making large amounts of profits using high frequency trading- or in layman's terms if you can figure out how to make cents or even fractions of cents on a trade you can still make a boat load of money if you make 1000's to 100,000's of trades a second.

Quant-identity = admittedly bad pun on quantity

Quant= wall street slang for genius level mathematicians and programmers who use complicated algorithms and super computers to facilitate making large amounts of profits using high frequency trading- or in layman's terms if you can figure out how to make cents or even fractions of cents on a trade you can still make a boat load of money if you make 1000's to 100,000's of trades a second.

Quant-identity = admittedly bad pun on quantity

As a consultant to Wall Street firms and banks on numerous engagements, I am fully aware of the term "Quant". See, I actually get paid by them and others, partly due to my knowledge of economics, mostly because I am a snappy dresser. :w00t: I hope nobody is paying you for yours. :lol:

As a consultant to Wall Street firms and banks on numerous engagements, I am fully aware of the term "Quant". See, I actually get paid by them and others, partly due to my knowledge of economics, mostly because I am a snappy dresser. :w00t: I hope nobody is paying you for yours. :lol:

Your previous post would suggest that you were not aware or if you were aware then you were making a disingenuous personal attack.

Your previous post would suggest that you were not aware or if you were aware then you were making a disingenuous personal attack.

1. No it didn't. It simply suggests that I live in a market with too many people that think they are demonstrating their intelligence by making up words for things for which we already have words, and I find that highly annoying if for no other reason than it confuses clients.

2. Welcome to the board. Disingenuous personal attacks are what we thrive on here, especially when they are true. :w00t:

3. You don't know economics(example of a personal disingenuous attack that happens to be true).

4. In all honesty, my current impression of your understanding of economics/business is that is has been attained conversationally, what you see on TV, read in the paper, etc. Not knowing ROI, etc. exposes that. As always, my impression is subject to change, and it would if you could demonstrate some sort of formal familiarity with the material.

1. No it didn't. It simply suggests that I live in a market with too many people that think they are demonstrating their intelligence by making up words for things for which we already have words, and I find that highly annoying if for no other reason than it confuses clients.

2. Welcome to the board. Disingenuous personal attacks are what we thrive on here, especially when they are true. :w00t:

3. You don't know economics(example of a personal disingenuous attack that happens to be true).

4. In all honesty, my current impression of your understanding of economics/business is that is has been attained conversationally, what you see on TV, read in the paper, etc. Not knowing ROI, etc. exposes that. As always, my impression is subject to change, and it would if you could demonstrate some sort of formal familiarity with the material.

1. take it up with your professional peers, I did not create the word

2. The disingenuous personal attack was about my ability to speak English, not my knowledge of economics.

3. I never claimed any formal education in Economics - what I claim is that schools of economic theory like religions have many branches each claiming to be the one true way and like religions seem very hit and miss in prophecy and improving the lives of their adherents.

1. take it up with your professional peers, I did not create the word

2. The disingenuous personal attack was about my ability to speak English, not my knowledge of economics.

3. I never claimed any formal education in Economics(OCinBuffalo FTW!) - what I claim is that schools of economic theory like religions have many branches each claiming to be the one true way and like religions seem very hit and miss in prophecy and improving the lives of their adherents.

1. Yes, I meant to add: ...and so I am sorry about taking it out on you. Sorry, again. :w00t:

2. Oh, well in that case I assure you: that was as genuine a concern as you are likely to get. Re-read what you wrote....you remind me of one of my Russian friends with that grammar. I honestly didn't want to bust on you if English = language #2...

3. ...which is congruent with the findings of this study = The further people lean to the left, the less likely they are to know WTF they are talking about when it comes to economics.

There is no "monopoly = whoever has the largest market share" school of economic theory. If there was, we'd call it the Retard School. The same goes for the rest of the questions. These question are literally out of the first 2 classes of economics = macro and micro, not some Ph. D's dissertation.

IF we are talking questions like:

"Describe the conditions under which the Federal Reserve should increase the funds rate"

"Describe the effects of wage and price controls"

"Why have we ever listened to an idiot who said "in the long run, we are all dead" in regard to government spending policy?(hey John Maynard Keynes it's the long run now, you are dead, and now the rest of us have to deal with your mess)

THEN you would have a point. But we aren't, so you don't.

Start asking those questions and the "schools" start to appear. But, the survey questions were fundamentals, and neither you, or anyone else, has any hope of answering any of the "schools" questions intelligently if you don't know the basics.

Bob, I would say that economic theory really does not have branches that are filled by sane people practicing their craft in good faith. A Marxist economist is not an economist, he is a marxist. A political economist is a politician. All economists would strongly disagree with some of your assertions. The view of economists on rent control, for example, is universal.

You arent going to win this argument because you honestly dont know what you are talking about. I cringe when I read what you wrote. I am not calling you dumb, but economics just isnt your thing.