Gaither Signs A One-Year Contract

H2o

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Ravens re-signed restricted free agent RT Jared Gaither to a one-year, $2.396 million contract.

Trade talks never materialized with the Bills, so Gaither will likely remain with Baltimore in the final year of his contract. Still just 24 years old, Gaither is transitioning from the left to right side this season. The 6-foot-9, 330-pounder will need to improve his run blocking to be a dominant strong-side tackle, but should remain a highly effective pass protector regardless.

I know it says nothing has materialized, but do you think this could be the beginning of him getting dealt?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

I know it says nothing has materialized, but do you think this could be the beginning of him getting dealt?

I guess the 1 year deal at $2.3M sets the market for a RT. If we do trade for him I would expect his agent will want to renegotiate a longer term contract for a LT, not a a RT. Looking at this number I am just amazed at what we paid Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery!!

I am so uncomfortable with Bell, Meredith and Wang as our LT prospects ... I hope the door is not closed on Gaither.

I guess the 1 year deal at $2.3M sets the market for a RT. If we do trade for him I would expect his agent will want to renegotiate a longer term contract for a LT, not a a RT. Looking at this number I am just amazed at what we paid Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery!!

I am so uncomfortable with Bell, Meredith and Wang as our LT prospects ... I hope the door is not closed on Gaither.

Paying a premium price for Dockery and Walker was a classic example how inept the Bills front office was under Levy. John Guy was the pro scout who was responsible for assessing pro acquisitions. Levy was "in theory" the boss who presided over the football operations. This very nice man set this franchise back for years with his grotesque miscalculations.

I have very serious questions about Gaither. I don't see him as a long term solution because of his lack of work ethic. But putting that aside I agree with you that our present LT candidates as a group are very questionable. What is very worrisome is that Nix/Gailey seem to be satisfied with the prospects currently on the roster.

Paying a premium price for Dockery and Walker was a classic example how inept the Bills front office was under Levy. John Guy was the pro scout who was responsible for assessing pro acquisitions. Levy was "in theory" the boss who presided over the football operations. This very nice man set this franchise back for years with his grotesque miscalculations.

I have very serious questions about Gaither. I don't see him as a long term solution because of his lack of work ethic. But putting that aside I agree with you that our present LT candidates as a group are very questionable. What is very worrisome is that Nix/Gailey seem to be satisfied with the prospects currently on the roster.

Levy had no say in player personnel decisions...after the coach selection, Marv was mostly a figurehead.

Guy made the call on pro personnel and Modrak on college personnel....Jauron made the final call after receiving their input

I would guess that if Gaither has signed his tender, he's resigned himself to playing for the Ravens this year, and thus, he loses his leverage to demand a trade. If the trade's already done, I'd guess we'd've heard about it by now.

I would guess that if Gaither has signed his tender, he's resigned himself to playing for the Ravens this year, and thus, he loses his leverage to demand a trade. If the trade's already done, I'd guess we'd've heard about it by now.

He has to sign his tender before a trade can be made. This is really no news because he was going to sign it at some point, and we already knew they weren't going to sign him to a long term extension. This doesn't make us any closer or further away on a trade. Nor does it put any other value on Gaither as a player that we didn't already know.

He has to sign his tender before a trade can be made. This is really no news because he was going to sign it at some point, and we already knew they weren't going to sign him to a long term extension. This doesn't make us any closer or further away on a trade. Nor does it put any other value on Gaither as a player that we didn't already know.

Exactly.

He had to sign his tender in order to be traded. He also had to sign his tender in order to play for the Ravens.

In any scenario, a player and his club can mutually tear up an existing contract and replace it with a new one.

The only thing that raises an eyebrow is that Ed Wang was injured just two days ago.

Gaither had until June 15th to sign his tender, so the timing is a bit interesting.

Paying a premium price for Dockery and Walker was a classic example how inept the Bills front office was under Levy.

And at the end of the day, what did it matter? The Bills were (and are) well under the cap, so it ultimately had no impact on the team other than the opportunity costs from neither guy panning out. What they got paid affected nothing.

IMO, a deal will be done in 1-2 days. Where, I have no idea. Just look at what happened with Brandon Marshall, right after he signed his RFA tender offer, he was shipped out to Miami.

BRING HIM TO BUFFALO!!

Levy had no say in player personnel decisions...after the coach selection, Marv was mostly a figurehead.

Guy made the call on pro personnel and Modrak on college personnel....Jauron made the final call after receiving their input

Levy had no say for the simple reason he was not equipped for the job. If he knew what he was doing (he was well aware of his limitations) he would not have approved of the transactions for the exorbitant contracts. The real problem with the Dockery and Walker acquisitions was not adding them to the roster so much as paying premium prices for pedestrian talent.

Your point about Levy being mostly a figurehead is spot on. He was a non-entity because he was incapable of doing a GM's job. Expecting someone in a position of substantial responsibility to be accountable is not unreasonable, it is standard practice. As far as Jauron having final call on personnel decisions it was a direct result of him being hired by Levy. If Levy would have been half competent in the phony GM role he assumed Jauron would never have had the authority he was incapable of doing well.

The decentralized system created by the buffoon owner (as a response to the Donahoe power center) was doomed to fail from the start because it was an idiotic idea to begin with. The clown owner established a fractured system in which there was little direct accountability. At least now under Nix there is a conventional NFL organizational structure. He is accountable for the football operations. That is how it should have been.

And at the end of the day, what did it matter? The Bills were (and are) well under the cap, so it ultimately had no impact on the team other than the opportunity costs from neither guy panning out. What they got paid affected nothing.

I disagree.

It had a huge impact on the team in that it set the pay structure for the OL. Two years later Jason Peters emerges and becomes a Pro Bowl LT and for a number of reasons is making peanuts compared to Dockery and Walker ... both of whom are very average at best.

I believe that these poor decisions affected the entire OL and especially Peters.

Bad business almost always has secondary impacts.

I disagree.

It had a huge impact on the team in that it set the pay structure for the OL. Two years later Jason Peters emerges and becomes a Pro Bowl LT and for a number of reasons is making peanuts compared to Dockery and Walker ... both of whom are very average at best.

I believe that these poor decisions affected the entire OL and especially Peters.

And if the Bills wanted to pay Peters the going rate, they could have, with cap room to spare.

His 'me first' antics and the front office's feeling he wasn't a Pro Bowl worthy player, based on performance, caused them to pass--not the Dockery or Walker contracts...

What Gaither got from a RFA tender means nothing WRT Walker's and Dockery's contracts. If Gaither were an UFA, he'd command what Peters got.

I don't think those contracts can be measured against the deal Gaither received. He is an RFA who has no bargaining power. This is a gift from the Ravens to get him into camp.

Levy had no say for the simple reason he was not equipped for the job. If he knew what he was doing (he was well aware of his limitations) he would not have approved of the transactions for the exorbitant contracts. The real problem with the Dockery and Walker acquisitions was not adding them to the roster so much as paying premium prices for pedestrian talent.

Your point about Levy being mostly a figurehead is spot on. He was a non-entity because he was incapable of doing a GM's job. Expecting someone in a position of substantial responsibility to be accountable is not unreasonable, it is standard practice. As far as Jauron having final call on personnel decisions it was a direct result of him being hired by Levy. If Levy would have been half competent in the phony GM role he assumed Jauron would never have had the authority he was incapable of doing well.

The decentralized system created by the buffoon owner (as a response to the Donahoe power center) was doomed to fail from the start because it was an idiotic idea to begin with. The clown owner established a fractured system in which there was little direct accountability. At least now under Nix there is a conventional NFL organizational structure. He is accountable for the football operations. That is how it should have been.

I agree with the mindset of this post, but I disagree about Ralph being a "buffoon." The man has no business being involved with any football decisions, but there is nothing that anybody can do about this. He hired Levy and Jauron, a pair of incompetent men who not a team in football wanted, and they ran his team to the ground. Still, the profits continued to roll in. Mr. Wilson is not a football man. He a is a GREAT business man.

Nix appears to be a competent GM. Gailey appears to be a competent head coach. Their success will depend on just how much Ralph interferes with their professional decisions. One promising sign was the fact that they didn't waste picks on more defensive backs. Levy/Jauron would have undoubtably done so. Nix/Gailey drafted big defenders, which is a great thing. If Ralph will allow them to draft good blockers next season in lieu of flash gadget players, or even a qb who will get killed, the Bills will become a good football team in short order.

I respect other opinions, but imo it is just that simple and it has been for many, many years.

I disagree.

Bad business almost always has secondary impacts.

You are correct Bob. Peters would line up with these below average palyers, and watch them laugh all the way to the bank. Dockery barely got his uniform dirty; Walker had his cute little video, and they sucked. Peters was a very talented LT and made peanuts as compared to these losers. He was not going to be OK with this and it is tough to blame him on some level.

Exactly.

He had to sign his tender in order to be traded. He also had to sign his tender in order to play for the Ravens.

In any scenario, a player and his club can mutually tear up an existing contract and replace it with a new one.

The only thing that raises an eyebrow is that Ed Wang was injured just two days ago.

Gaither had until June 15th to sign his tender, so the timing is a bit interesting.

Exactly dead on. It is very interesting the timing of this.